PDA

View Full Version : Former teacher who had sex with student finds winning appeal results in longer sentence

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2015, 11:26 AM
By Barton Deiters - M Live

http://i.imgur.com/FqyEwWZ.jpg

GRAND RAPIDS, MI – A former Byron Center teacher and coach who was convicted of having sex with a student managed to win a state Supreme Court appeal, but lost when he ended up getting more time in prison when he was re-sentenced.

Glenn Davis, 43, pleaded guilty to having sex multiple times with a 15-year-old student over a seven-month period starting September 2012. He was sentenced in October 2013 to six to 30 years in prison but appealed that term and based on a faulty calculation of sentencing guidelines.

The state's highest court granted him the right to be re-sentenced and the new correctly calculated guidelines called for a sentence lower that the one he received.

However, Judge Dennis Leiber found out that since he has been in prison, Davis has used his family and friends to secret notes out of prison. The messages were left in a car parked near a bar in Byron Center and retrieved by the victim during the nearly three years Davis has been behind bars.

In a Kent County Circuit Court hearing on Thursday, June 4, Leiber said he has also learned that Davis called the girl multiple times before he was transferred from Kent County to Jackson. The calls were made after a sentencing hearing in which Davis told the judge how much he regretted his actions in the relationship with the teen girl.

The father of the now 18-year-old victim told the judge Thursday that Davis continued to bother his daughter until her birthday last September.

"A max sentence should be given for what he has done to my daughter and to my family," the father said.

While the girl asked for mercy for Davis in 2013, the woman now fears seeing him out of prison, according to statements in court.

Related: Former Byron Center teacher sent to prison despite sex assault victim's plea for mercy

Davis admitted to having sexual relations with the girl he became acquainted with during her freshman year. She was a student in his math class.

The two had sex in a camper and at the home Davis shared with his wife and two young children. Davis admitted to as many as 30 sexual encounters with the girl, according to court records.

He was charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct and ended up pleading to one count

Davis' attorney Richard Zambon asked for a minimum sentence in the range of four years.

Davis told the judge Thursday that he was a changed man who is making strides toward becoming a better person.

"I look back and I can't believe the things I've done," Davis said.

Leiber said he is disturbed by the apparent ease with which Davis was able to get letters out of the prison under the noses of prison personnel. The judge suggested the Michigan Department of Corrections look into its security regarding Davis, who has a relative who works in corrections.

"Behind the confines of jail the tentacles of communication reached out and caused harm to this victim," Leiber said. "(Davis) is cunning, manipulative and, in my opinion, dangerous."

Leiber described Davis actions as "noxious" and said it was manifestly obvious that his sentence should exceed the guildelines.

Seated in front of the judge, Davis dropped his chin to his chest when he heard the sentence of 10 to 40 years pronounced by the judge. The judge also recommended that MDOC enforce a no-contact rule when it comes to the victim and that Davis be given psychological treatment.

Leiber also said that Davis should not be given consideration for a quick release from prison when he is up for parole after 10 years.

As he left the courtroom, the victim's dad was smiling as his daughter pronounced the new sentence "awesome."

deebakes
06-09-2015, 12:59 AM
:thumbsdown:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-09-2015, 01:02 AM
:lol:

Muddy
06-09-2015, 01:24 AM
#deathpenalty