PDA

View Full Version : 115th US Open Championship at Chambers Bay (SETTLED)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Why the U.S. Open will be the best major of 2015
By Rex Hoggard - The Golf Channel

http://i.imgur.com/zsW8z5p.jpg

Editor's note: The majors are always the most highly anticipated tournaments of the year. But which one will be the best? We asked our writers to present the cases for the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA Championship.

The 115th U.S. Open is already a game-changing event and the first tee shot is still some five months away.

This year’s Open will be the first played in the Pacific Northwest, a geographic anomaly that defies explanation, but even that milestone isn’t why the year’s second major has all the markings of a seminal championship.

What separates June’s championship from others will be Chambers Bay, the publicly owned links-like layout that was designed to host the U.S. Open. Everything about the former sand and gravel quarry was built to be a major venue.

It’s the kind of blank canvas that a man such as Mike Davis, the USGA’s executive director, dreams about. It also explains Davis’ enthusiasm when he talks about Chambers Bay.

“This is a little bit of out-of-the-box thinking for the USGA,” said Davis last June. “The last time we truly came to a new golf course for the U.S. Open was Minneapolis in 1970 at Hazeltine. To say we are excited to come to Chambers Bay would be the understatement of the year.”

If the 2010 U.S. Amateur, which was played at Chambers Bay, is any indication of what players and fans should expect from the Robert Trent Jones-designed layout Davis’ excitement is understandable.

In the tune-up to this year’s U.S. Open Davis pushed the course to its limits in 2010 and, some suggested, perhaps beyond. If the new-look Pinehurst No. 2 set the standard as brown as the new green last year, expect a similarly dusty scene when the golf world arrives at University Place, Wash.

The 7,742-yard (nope, not a typo, that’s 7,742) course will give Davis and Co. endless setup options. Although par is expected to be 70 for the championship, that number will very much be relative considering the first and 18th holes will alternately be played as either a par 4 or par 5, depending on the day and conditions.

Of course, the players will provide the lion’s share of storylines as championship week inches closer, they always do. But until the field takes center stage for Round 1 on June 18 it will be the golf course that captures the imagination.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Starts on Thursday, get your wagers in

Goofy
06-13-2015, 12:06 PM
I can't decide :(

Goofy
06-13-2015, 12:09 PM
Picked 10 players :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I picked a bunch too :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Wow, how the mighty have fallen, nobody has bet on Tiger :lol:

I think his game is gone, I don't see him (or anyone for that matter) ever breaking Jack's major wins record.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Jim McCabe - Golfweek

http://i.imgur.com/joiNbBF.jpg

Forty-one years later, it remains the benchmark by which demanding tests of golf are held, and Hale Irwin won't dispute that winning the U.S. Open at Winged Foot in 1974 was grueling work. It's just that in one respect there was an ease to it.

"By Tuesday, 70 percent of the field had given up," Irwin said. "I said to myself: All I have to do is beat 30 percent."

So infamously tough was the golf course setup that the late Dick Schaap wrote a book about the week and titled it "Massacre at Winged Foot." Legendary are the incidents that took place, from Jerry McGee getting heckled in a practice round and challenging that fan to a $100 bet that he couldn't advance a golf ball out of greenside rough at the 18th, to Jack Nicklaus putting off the green on his first hole Thursday, to Johnny Miller saying he knows "what 6-inch rough looks like and that wasn't 6-inch rough, it was much higher."

Miller won the U.S. Open with a 279 score in 1973; the next year he shot 302. Yes, Winged Foot was that brutally tough. There hasn't been a higher score posted by a U.S. Open winner since Irwin's 287 (although Lou Graham won with that same total the next year), including those that he went on to win at Inverness in 1979 (284) and Medinah in 1990 (280).

But of Irwin's three titles, the one that remains unforgettable is the one at Winged Foot and it comes to mind this week because another U.S. Open is upon us and, shock of shocks, guys are moaning about the golf course --€” in advance, without really having seen it in competition.

Will they never learn?

"Rather than get up in arms, shouldn't guys just go and play and let the best man win?" Irwin said.

Now 70, Irwin said he has never been to Chambers Bay but he has read stories about the windswept links-like layout outside of Seattle. It is expected to feel more like an Open Championship than a typical U.S. Open test, what with balls bouncing over firm fescue grass, and Irwin concedes that that is intriguing. "I'm sure we might see something we've never seen before (in a U.S. Open), but my general rule of thumb has always been 'Don't complain, you just have to deal with the set-up.'"

Another player from Irwin's era thinks similarly, a guy by the name of Jack Nicklaus. And given that he won four U.S. Opens, it gets you thinking that perhaps he and Irwin had the proper attitude toward this major championship.

"It really makes little difference what remarks have been made about Chambers Bay," Nicklaus said. "You are going to play the tournament if you want to win the golf tournament. Somebody's name is going to be on the trophy at the end of the week. Somebody, regardless of whether they like (Chambers Bay) or not like it, is going there enough ahead of time, learn what they need to learn about the golf course and play it."

Nicklaus said the biggest motivation behind his decision to go to a U.S. Open venue a week ahead of time was to "get all that crap out of the way," meaning a determination of which challenges were going to be greatest -- slick greens, penal rough, tight fairways.

Then, during practice rounds when Nicklaus heard players groan, he secretly smiled to himself. "When they said, 'I don't like the course,' I checked him off. Oh, the fairways are too narrow? Check him off. The fairways are too sloppy? Check him off. The greens are too fast? Check him.

"Guys would say a course doesn't suit their game. It's not supposed to suit your game. You are supposed to suit your game to the golf course."

Not that Nicklaus didn't run have trouble at U.S. Open courses. Most notably, Hazeltine in 1970, when he had a first-round 81 and wound up miles behind. "The only golf course that I've ever been to where Arnold (Palmer) and Gary (Player) and I were not even close and they kept our scores on the leaderboard all week long," Nicklaus said.

With England's Tony Jacklin in command of the tournament, ahead of Dave Hill, whose biting comments about Hazeltine were a storyline all week, officials must have felt it was important to deflect attention toward the game's biggest three names.

"At the bottom of the leaderboard would be Palmer (T-54), Player (T-44) and Nicklaus (T-51) and our score is like 26 over par. It was ridiculous."

Yet Nicklaus wasn't about to rip Hazeltine ahead of time, just as he wasn't about to moan about the demanding challenge that was Pebble Beach in 1972. He shot 290? So what, he won, handling the mental test better than anyone.

Irwin was there at Pebble in '72, his 306 total the highest 72-hole score in his 33 U.S. Opens. But that was an indication of Pebble's challenge that week, because Irwin finished tied for 36th, and he left there knowing he had what it takes to win this championship.

"I always felt that I was going to hit a lot of bad shots at the U.S. Open, that it was always about having the mental discipline to accept that. The U.S. Open had deeper rough, faster greens, and harder challenges? That was fine with me," Irwin said.

"I credited that to my football background. Winged Foot was a cakewalk compared to the things I came up against in football."

Goofy
06-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Go home Tiger, you're done :lol:

Strange that the US Open is being played on a Scottish links course :-k

Fodster
06-19-2015, 06:52 AM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6LLOg4SgBNzJkwM5flvSFA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-06-19/7788c8a0-1617-11e5-a4cd-013df2e4ea13_tigerclub.gif

Goofy
06-19-2015, 11:50 AM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6LLOg4SgBNzJkwM5flvSFA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-06-19/7788c8a0-1617-11e5-a4cd-013df2e4ea13_tigerclub.gif

He should've chucked the rest of them away too :lol: Fuckin' 80...... i bet you could match that Fod!

Fodster
06-20-2015, 01:29 AM
Watching some of it today mate, I would rack up one hell of a score!

Goofy
06-20-2015, 08:43 AM
I reckon i could break 200 there on a good day :ok:

Fodster
06-22-2015, 02:20 AM
Dustin Johnson :ewww:

Goofy
06-22-2015, 11:44 AM
I only saw the first couple of holes last night then fell asleep........ did DJ blow it?

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 11:45 AM
He had a 12 foot eagle put to put it away on 18.....and three putted to lose by 1 :facepalm:

Goofy
06-22-2015, 11:53 AM
:shakehead: #chokeartist

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 11:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zokETt-uXqg

Goofy
06-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Mind you, those greens were shocking! :lol: Still, 2 putt from 12 feet should be simple for these guys.......

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 12:14 PM
Bob Harig, Senior Golf Writer

UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. -- Ian Poulter kept quiet all week.

And then he went off on Twitter and Instagram following his final round at Chambers Bay, finishing 11 over par for the U.S. Open, including a final-round 77.

http://i.imgur.com/xcWueEC.png

"It is disgraceful that the @USGA hasn't apologized about the greens,'' he wrote. "They simply have said 'we are thrilled the course condition this week.' It wasn't a bad golf course, In fact it played well and was playable.

"What wasn't playable were the green surfaces. If this was a regular PGA tour event lots of players would have withdrawn and gone home on Wednesday, but players won't do that for a major. They were simply the worst most disgraceful surface I have ever seen on any tour in all the years I have played. The US Open deserves better than that.''

Poulter, an Englishman who criticized the course in April before seeing it, had vowed not to say anything about it until after he finished the tournament. He posted an unflattering photo of the greens and wrote 328 words.

He wasn't alone in criticizing the greens, a common theme for most of the week.

"I think a lot of the players, and I'm one of them, have lost some respect for the USGA and this championship this year for the greens,'' he said. "And not only the greens. One of the biggest issues I have is for the fans... the viewing is awful... when you're not able to get up close and watch championship caliber players play a golf course, it's disappointing.''

Billy Horschel shot 67 on Sunday but felt it could have been much better.

"It's just a very disappointing week to be here,'' said Horschel, the reigning FedEx Cup champion. "When you come to a championship tournament, obviously you are going to find out who the best player is, but when you neglect one of the skills or take away one of the skills from a player, and that be putting ... I'm a really good putter and I have not had a great week on the greens.

"And it's not due to the fact that my stroke is off or my speed is off. I've hit a lot of really good putts that have bounced all over the world. So it's just frustrating. I played awesome golf today. I played my tail off to shoot 3 under par. And I really felt like I should have shot 6, 7 or 8 under, but I wasn't able to due to the fact that some of the putts I hit just hit some really bad spots on the greens and got off line and didn't go in.''

Horschel said he was at Chambers Bay six weeks ago and loved the setting, comparing it to Pebble Beach and Royal County Down.

"It's just been a disappointing week with the way the greens are,'' he said.

Chris Kirk also was among the bevy of players to voice frustration after carding a 10 on the par-4 opening hole Sunday.

http://i.imgur.com/rmkBORk.png

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm sure if these guys were atop the leaderboard on Sunday, they wouldn't have been bitching ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
06-22-2015, 04:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zokETt-uXqg

Wow

Goofy
06-22-2015, 06:56 PM
I'm sure if these guys were atop the leaderboard on Sunday, they wouldn't have been bitching ;)

Monty slagged them off before the tournament started :)

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/9888648/colin-montgomerie-voices-concerns-over-greens-on-us-open-course

Yeah, obviously the winner isn't gonna complain :lol: Who the hell complains about anything after winning one of the biggest prizes in their given sport? :lol: Found these stats for Oosthoose interesting:

• Louis Oosthuizen: 29 on back nine Sunday; ties lowest nine holes in U.S. Open history

• 199 total over last three rounds; lowest such score in U.S. Open history

• 199 ties lowest score over any 54 holes in U.S. Open history

• 77 in first round; was tied for 135th after 18 holes

• Birdied seven of last eight holes to finish tournament

Would have waltzed it if it wasn't for a Tiger-esque opening round! (see what i did there? That's how far Tiger has fallen :lol: ).

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 07:01 PM
Monty slagged them off before the tournament started :)

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/9888648/colin-montgomerie-voices-concerns-over-greens-on-us-open-course

Monty hates everything American, his opinion is meaningless :hand: