PDA

View Full Version : Artie Lange: 'Political correctness is the direct enemy of comedy'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-13-2015, 11:08 AM
By Blanche Johnson - FOX 411

http://i.imgur.com/46FVYF5.jpg

LOS ANGELES – Is Jerry Seinfeld on to something, or is he just out of touch?

The multimillionaire comedian said earlier this week that the politically correct climate on many college campuses is keeping comedians away.

“I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘don’t go near colleges. They’re so PC,” Seinfeld told ESPN. “They just want to use these words: ‘That’s racist;’ ‘That’s sexist;’ ‘That’s prejudice.’ They don’t know what the f--k they are talking about.”

Comedian Artie Lange couldn’t agree more.

“Political correctness is the direct enemy of comedy. Humor is to feel loose and not take yourself too seriously,” Lange told FOX411. “You should be able to joke about everything race, religion; sexuality. Everything should be okay to joke about.”

"Young people seem to not even want to bring up certain subjects so there’s nothing to talk about," Lange added. "A comedian’s going to have to go out on a stage at a college campus and say there’s nothing I’m allowed to say…get home safely."

But not everyone agrees that college kids are closed off.

“When people use the phrase ‘politically correct,” they often mean ‘uptight’. I don’t think college kids today are uptight,” argued Sara Benincasa, a comedian who performs on college campuses. “They often like to talk about everything and anything, and they’ve got strong opinions and they’re going to push back if they disagree with you.”

Benincasa also hinted that while Seinfeld remains an influential comedian, he is also 61-years-old, and thus may not be completely in touch with the campus mindset today.

“I’m 34 and I’m just barely hanging onto what the college kids are talking about,” Benincasa said. “Plus, every college is different.”

Last year Chris Rock told New York Magazine he was done playing college campuses, saying students were too conservative. Comedian and insult comic Lisa Lampanelli wrote an opinion piece for The Hollywood Reporter in 2013 claiming that when audiences become too PC, they end up closing their minds “to a different point of view.”

Lange, however, wasn't 100 percent anti-PC.

"A lot of good has happened from politic correctness, but not for comedy. There are always sacrifices when you evolve as a society." he said. "One of the sacrifices of being more sensitive and more political correct is people are not allowed to be as funny, or funny at all."

deebakes
06-13-2015, 02:40 PM
:+1:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-13-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm a big fan of Lang

Hal-9000
06-13-2015, 05:26 PM
3rd sign of the apocalypse..

...was done playing college campuses, saying students were too conservative