PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Life Leader: Rape Exception For Abortion Is 'Abominable'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-16-2015, 11:42 AM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/1ob6fst.png

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina has introduced a bill to ban abortion in the U.S. after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

A similar bill, the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, passed the House in May.

According to RH Reality Check, neither Graham's bill or the House bill allows an abortion after 20 weeks in cases of a woman's health or serious genetic problems with the fetus, many of which cannot be detected within 20 weeks.

"Graham has made it clear he doesn’t expect the bill to be passed into law," Graham’s spokesperson, Kevin Bishop told RH Reality Check.

Bishop acknowledged the bill would need 60 votes to pass the Senate and a signature from President Obama, which won't happen. It would also take 66 Senate votes to override a presidential veto.

There are exceptions in Graham's bill for the mother's life in danger, incest and rape, which doesn't sit well with the Susan B. Anthony List, a pro-life organization that wants women to be forced to carry a pregnancy via rape.

Susan B. Anthony List president Marjorie Dannenfelser told LifeSiteNews:

I agree. I agree that the rape exception is abominable. I also know that with it, we were able to move forward, and we have the potential of saving 15,000 to 18,000 children a year. No one should give up or give over a rape exception unless there is simply no chance of saving those other children. I really believe that.

I also think that, look at this bill, it's a 20-week bill. We left out every other child. We've excluded, and excepted, most children from this. So by the same argument, I reject that, but I also know that we've found a sweet spot that we can get common ground on, and it's a place where the country is, and it's a place that we can actually get the legislation through.

RBP
06-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Why does there need to be a rape or incest exception when they have 5 months to make that decision? If the issue is the trauma of carrying a rapists or relatives fetus, logically sooner would be better. No?

DemonGeminiX
06-16-2015, 03:30 PM
What if the rape victim's being held captive?

RBP
06-16-2015, 05:14 PM
What if the rape victim's being held captive?
:-s

Why isn't there an alien exception?

Hal-9000
06-16-2015, 05:39 PM
or she doesn't report the rape and doesn't know about the pregnancy...thinking of the other stories where women are 8 months pregnant before they know that a change is a comin!

DemonGeminiX
06-16-2015, 06:35 PM
:-s

Why isn't there an alien exception?

:|

RBP
06-16-2015, 06:56 PM
or she doesn't report the rape and doesn't know about the pregnancy...thinking of the other stories where women are 8 months pregnant before they know that a change is a comin!
We are talking extremely rare circumstances. Are you suggesting that a woman who doesn't know she's pregnant until 8 months should have abortion rights?

Muddy
06-16-2015, 08:24 PM
I don't have a problem with this. Except for circumstances like DGX states.. But those are few and far between.

RBP
06-16-2015, 11:39 PM
I don't know why this issue is so hard, I really don't.

Roe v Wade established abortion as legal and set the limit as fetal viability.

So...

Conservatives, it's legal, stop trying to make it not legal and accept reasonable constraints.

Liberals, it is going to have constraints, so stop trying to make aborting anytime before birth (and sometimes after) a "right".

When Roe v Wade passed, fetal viability was 24 weeks. That was about 50 years ago and premature medicine has come a long way. 22 is probably a good number, but 20 is not unreasonable.

That's 5 months to decide and have it done. If the mother will die, or the baby will be grossly deformed and die anyway, do what you have to do. Other than that, you had plenty of time.

To these rare and odd exceptions, I am fine with a court procedure allowing for a legal exception to very extreme cases. I also recognize it's a slippery slope. The current "health of the mother" doesn't mean she might die, it means anything they want it to mean, including "being pregnant makes me depressed".

I really believe this is a fringe issue that the vast majority of people could easily agree on.