PDA

View Full Version : Manhunt on for gunman who killed 9 at South Carolina church prayer meeting

Teh One Who Knocks
06-18-2015, 12:01 PM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/I4QpY3i.jpg

A frantic manhunt was on in South Carolina, hours after a "horrible scoundrel" opened fire in an historic African-American church in downtown Charleston, killing nine, including the pastor and state senator during a regular prayer meeting.

Police immediately branded the shooting spree, which began just after 9 p.m. Wednesday, a hate crime, and released surveillance images of a white man fleeing the scene at 150-year-old Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church after the horrific incident.

"This is an unspeakable and unfathomable act by somebody filled with hate and a deranged mind," Charleston Mayor Joseph Riley said in a Thursday morning press conference. He vowed that authorities were "committed to finding this horrible scoundrel."

A five-year-old girl reportedly survived the attack by following her grandmother's instructions to play dead, and a woman was allowed to leave to "tell the world" what had happened. It was not immediately known what message she was supposed to convey.

Charleston Police Chief Greg Mullen said the gunman, described as clean-shaven and approximately 21 years old with sandy blonde hair and a slender build, was still at large. Police said the man was last seen wearing a gray sweatshirt with blue jeans and Timberland boots.

“We are committed to do whatever is necessary to bring this individual to justice,” Mullen said, adding that the suspect “should not be approached by anyone.”

Sources said the suspect entered the church and sat in a pew for up to an hour after the regular prayer meeting had begun, before opening fire at 9:06 p.m.

"This is a tragedy that no community should have to experience," Mullen said. "It is senseless and unfathomable in today's society that someone would walk into a church during a prayer meeting and take their lives."

"The only reason that someone could walk into a church and shoot people praying is out of hate," said Charleston Mayor Joseph P. Riley. "It is the most dastardly act that one could possibly imagine, and we will bring that person to justice ... This is one hateful person."

Mullen said the scene was chaotic when police arrived, and the officers thought they had the suspect tracked with a police dog, but he got away. He also announced that a reward for information leading to the shooter's capture would be offered Thursday and that the FBI would aid the investigation.

Authorities said the crime scene investigation had been complicated by a bomb threat that had been called in, forcing police to move members of the media back and close off a large section of the street where the shooting took place.

Among the dead was the church's pastor, state Sen. Clementa Pinckney, 41, who had been a pastor since he was 18. Pinckney was the youngest African-American elected to the South Carolina legislature when he won office in 1996 at age 23 and had been a state senator since 2000.

Soon after Wednesday night's shooting, a group of pastors huddled together praying in a circle across the street. Community organizer Christopher Cason told The Associated Press he felt certain the shootings were racially motivated.

"I am very tired of people telling me that I don't have the right to be angry," Cason said. "I am very angry right now."

Authorities said the shooting took place at approximately 9 p.m. local time. Police would not immediately confirm the identities of the victims. Mullen said there were survivors, but did not say how many, or how many were inside the church at the time of the shooting.

Dot Scott, the president of the Charleston NAACP, told the Post and Courier newspaper that she had spoken with a female survivor who said the gunman told the woman he was letting her live so she could tell others what had happened.

"There is no greater coward than a criminal who enters a house of God and slaughters innocent people engaged in the study of Scripture," NAACP President and CEO Cornell Brooks said in a statement Thursday. "Today I mourn as an AME minister, as a student and teacher of scripture, as well as a member of the NAACP."

Police described the suspect as wearing a gray sweatshirt with blue jeans and Timberland boots.

The church is a well-known landmark in Charleston, known as "The Holy City" because of its many houses of worship and denominations. The church traces its roots to 1816 when African-American members of the city's Methodist Episcopal Church, led by a freed slave, broke away to form their own congregation. The church was burned to the ground in the 1820s, and rebuilt a decade later.

The campaign of GOP presidential hopeful Jeb Bush sent out an email saying that due to the shooting, the candidate had canceled an event planned in the city Thursday. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley issued a statement calling the shooting a "senseless tragedy."

"While we do not yet know all of the details, we do know that we'll never understand what motivated anyone to enter one of our places of worship and take the life of another," Haley said. "Please join us in lifting up the victims and their families with our love and prayers."

Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C. posted a series of Twitter message about the tragedy. "My heart is breaking for Charleston and South Carolina tonight," one of them read.

The church is a historic African-American church that traces its roots to 1816, when several churches split from Charleston's Methodist Episcopal church. One of its founders, Denmark Vesey, tried to organize a slave revolt in 1822. He was caught, and white landowners had his church burned in revenge. Parishioners worshipped underground until after the Civil War.

Anyone with information on the gunman's whereabouts is asked to contact Charleston Police dispatch at 843-743-7200.

Muddy
06-18-2015, 01:21 PM
My heart aches for the victims and familys of this horrible event..

redred
06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
A suspect in the killing of nine people at a historic African-American church in South Carolina has been arrested, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said.
Officials earlier named 21-year-old Dylann Storm as the man they were looking for in connection with the shooting in Charleston.
Police said the gunman sat in a bible study meeting for up to an hour before opening fire, killing six women and three men including the church pastor.
Officials have called it a hate crime.
Ms Lynch said the Justice Department would look at all the facts and motivations to determine the best way to proceed with any prosecution over the shooting.
US media reported that Mr Storm was arrested in Selby, North Carolina, some 13 hours after the shooting.
It followed the release of surveillance images of what police described as a young white man arriving at the church an hour before shooting occurred on Wednesday evening.
The killings have sent shockwaves through a community that has already experienced racial tension.
The shooting two months ago of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man by a white police officer in North Charleston, prompted angry protests. The officer has since been charged with murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33190735

DemonGeminiX
06-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Anybody with a shitty haircut like this kid has, you know he can't be right in the head.

redred
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
:lol: so wrong dgx

DemonGeminiX
06-18-2015, 04:53 PM
What? His haircut makes him look like a walking penis. No wonder why he's running around killing people.

RBP
06-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Caught him.

Loser
06-18-2015, 05:56 PM
Anybody with a shitty haircut like this kid has, you know he can't be right in the head.

Funny, I first saw his picture, and that's exactly what I thought.

Anyone with that chop has to be batshit.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Fucking white people!!!

Loser
06-18-2015, 06:42 PM
I love how the media blows this shit up because it's "racial", which we don't even know yet, but the fact that the 100+ black on black murders last month got zero national attention :roll:

-edit-

And politicians already calling for more magazine capacity limits...

A.)The gun he used carries 7/8 rounds, 1911, he reloaded 5 times someone claimed.

B.) No ones mentioning the fact that again, this happened in a "gun free" zone, where the legal means for self defense is illegal because of some jackass politician.

RBP
06-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Well the quote from a survivor was "I have to do this. You rape our women. You are taking over our country."

PorkChopSandwiches
06-18-2015, 07:17 PM
What do you mean you people!

redred
06-18-2015, 08:37 PM
you know , that group of people

Loser
06-18-2015, 09:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Za3nq8A.jpg

Yea...He's not batshit fucking crazy at all...

Loser
06-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Hillary Clinton Calls For Action On Guns After Charleston Shooting

Well the bitch didn't take too long did she..:roll:

I really hope this bites her in the ass.

DemonGeminiX
06-18-2015, 09:14 PM
He has to be. What self-respecting normal 20-something has a friggin' bowl cut for a haircut?

DemonGeminiX
06-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Well the bitch didn't take too long did she..:roll:

I really hope this bites her in the ass.

Fuck her.

Muddy
06-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Well the quote from a survivor was "I have to do this. You rape our women. You are taking over our country."

It was totally racial.. Fucked me up, truth be told.. had to have a closed door meeting at work with a black colleague and hug her.. Charlestons too close to home for me.. Fucking senseless.. The guy prayed with them for an hour then killed them all.

deebakes
06-18-2015, 10:54 PM
:fbd:

perrhaps
06-19-2015, 01:07 AM
He has to be. What self-respecting normal 20-something has a friggin' bowl cut for a haircut?

Mo Howard's great-grandson?

deebakes
06-19-2015, 02:10 AM
i wonder how many will get that reference without google? :idk:

RBP
06-19-2015, 02:18 AM
i wonder how many will get that reference without google? :idk:

We're all old, we get Happy Days references. :hand:

DemonGeminiX
06-19-2015, 02:21 AM
:-s

Happy Days?

deebakes
06-19-2015, 02:24 AM
i hope he was kidding :rofl:

DemonGeminiX
06-19-2015, 02:28 AM
Me too.

:lol:

RBP
06-19-2015, 02:32 AM
:dance:

RBP
06-19-2015, 02:32 AM
getting you back for the pirate, Dee. :tup:

deebakes
06-19-2015, 03:34 AM
i assumed so, but one can never be too sure around here :lol:

RBP
06-19-2015, 04:04 AM
i assumed so, but one can never be too sure around here :lol:

Exactly how I reacted to the pirate. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-19-2015, 03:00 PM
I googled, then realized Im a jackass nyck nyck nyck

RBP
06-19-2015, 03:03 PM
I knew you were a jackass without Googling.

:dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-19-2015, 03:16 PM
:meatspin:

deebakes
06-19-2015, 11:05 PM
I googled, then realized Im a jackass nyck nyck nyck

:facepalm: