PDA

View Full Version : Texas Firefighter Fired For 'Praising' Charleston Murders On Social Media

Teh One Who Knocks
06-22-2015, 11:50 AM
By Sean Kelly - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/aVE7Pdx.jpg

A firefighter in Texas was fired after posting a comment on social media calling for the man who shot and killed nine people in Charleston, South Carolina, to be “praised” for his actions.

According to reports, volunteer firefighter Kurtis Cook posted to the Facebook page of a South Carolina newspaper following Wednesday night’s massacre at a Charleston church, and said that shooter Dylann Roof “needs to be praised for the good deed he has done.”

Cook’s post soon began to spread, prompting people to contact the Mabank Fire Department and call for his termination. The department subsequently addressed the controversy on their Facebook page.

“The Mabank Fire Department Command Staff is in the process of investigating the allegations being made of Firefighter Kurtis Cook,” the post read. “The Command Staff wants the public to know that the MFD takes these allegations seriously and will take the appropriate actions.”

Less than an hour after the post, the department issued another statement on Facebook confirming that Cook had been let go.

“As of 1123 hrs, after an investigation in the allegations being made of Firefighter Kurtis Cook, the Mabank Fire Department Command Staff has terminated Kurtis Cook as a volunteer firefighter permanently and has trespassed him from all Mabank Fire Department property," the post read.

“The Mabank Fire Department does not condone nor promote these type of actions or thoughts,” the department wrote. "On behalf of all members, the Mabank Fire Department offers our deepest apologies to all that were offended by his actions and comments.”

deebakes
06-22-2015, 10:52 PM
:dunce:

Muddy
06-22-2015, 11:06 PM
See ya, fuck face!

RBP
06-22-2015, 11:16 PM
I am still not comfortable with people losing their job over Facebook posts that were not done as part of, or in reference to, their employment.

Muddy
06-22-2015, 11:24 PM
When you provide a civil service and you commend the shooter in a 9 person murder? This was no 'questionable case'..

RBP
06-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Oh so it's civil service? Or just the comment? An accountant who says the same thing can keep his job?

deebakes
06-23-2015, 12:59 AM
I am still not comfortable with people losing their job over Facebook posts that were not done as part of, or in reference to, their employment.

i get your point rbp, i truly do. but does this person honestly think the following:

1). people care about his point of view
2). there wont be potential repercussions for his posting this

free speech only goes so far anymore, there is far too much mob mentality that goes on :(

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2015, 01:03 AM
I think most employers hold a certain expectation for employees to conduct themselves with class and honor, even when not on the job.

deebakes
06-23-2015, 01:17 AM
and it is easier for those employers to cut ties than justify standing behind an opinion they know is controversial :shrug:

RBP
06-23-2015, 01:21 AM
I think most employers hold a certain expectation for employees to conduct themselves with class and honor, even when not on the job.

If you're a public figure maybe (perhaps you put volunteer fire fighter in that category). As Dee mentioned, this isn't about employer rules, or terms and conditions of employment (or volunteerism), it's about mob mentality.

I just don't know what the rules are any more. That's probably because there aren't any.

deebakes
06-23-2015, 01:58 AM
rules are:

1). don't post anything on social media
2). see rule #1

RBP
06-23-2015, 02:11 AM
rules are:

1). don't post anything on social media
2). see rule #1

:shrug:

deebakes
06-23-2015, 02:30 AM
do you follow rule #1? if so, you are probably alright :shrug:

Loser
06-23-2015, 04:01 AM
RBP, I usually agree with you on a lot of things, but this I have to disagree with.

People should be held accountable for things they post on social media, if they do harm to the public image of your employment.

And the simple reason why?

People need to be held accountable for the stupidity.

RBP
06-23-2015, 04:32 AM
RBP, I usually agree with you on a lot of things, but this I have to disagree with.

People should be held accountable for things they post on social media, if they do harm to the public image of your employment.

And the simple reason why?

People need to be held accountable for the stupidity.

I actually don't disagree, but I am not sure employment is the correct venue. It's completely arbitrary, and when it has nothing to do with your employment, a legal contract, it's questionable.

What we are saying, in effect, with no notice or agreement, every working adults now has a moral turpitude clause in their employment contract. The rules for moral turpitude are not stated, they are not defined, and they are not usually determined by your employer.

We have given the power to enforce this new employment standard to a random and often anonymous group. Justice by shaming. Enforcement of the unwritten, non-disclosed, moral turpitude clause. Employment terminations just went way outside the lines.

I am waiting for someone to sue actually. I haven't seen this litigated, but I'd love to see what the courts decide from an employment law perspective.

Loser
06-23-2015, 05:32 AM
I'd imagine that if a company or employer could prove damages, either monetary or to their public image, as a result of their ex employees statement, any lawsuit by said employee would be lost. Even in the case of free speech litigation.

I don't know how long it's been since you sought employment, but most places now ask for your social media information. Google+, fakebook, etc...

deebakes
06-24-2015, 01:35 AM
I actually don't disagree, but I am not sure employment is the correct venue. It's completely arbitrary, and when it has nothing to do with your employment, a legal contract, it's questionable.

What we are saying, in effect, with no notice or agreement, every working adults now has a moral turpitude clause in their employment contract. The rules for moral turpitude are not stated, they are not defined, and they are not usually determined by your employer.

We have given the power to enforce this new employment standard to a random and often anonymous group. Justice by shaming. Enforcement of the unwritten, non-disclosed, moral turpitude clause. Employment terminations just went way outside the lines.

I am waiting for someone to sue actually. I haven't seen this litigated, but I'd love to see what the courts decide from an employment law perspective.

not to say i know anything, but employers probably settle out of court frequently to prevent this exact problem :shrug: