PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules no prayer at school graduation

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2011, 12:37 PM
References to beliefs OK for Medina Valley.
By Guillermo Contreras - The San Antonio Express

http://i.imgur.com/HYQwI.jpg

At this year's graduation ceremony for students of Medina Valley High School, publicly uttered prayer is out — but individual references to a higher being are allowed.

Such was the ruling Tuesday from Chief U.S. District Judge Fred Biery in a lawsuit filed by Christa and Danny Schultz on behalf of one of their sons, who is one of the 238 seniors who will graduate Saturday from the school in Castroville.

The Schultz family is agnostic and says a son who graduated in 2009 was wrongly subjected to school-sponsored prayer, something the school district has repeatedly allowed despite long-standing legal precedent that bars it.

In the lawsuit, the Schultzes alleged that the Medina Valley Independent School District regularly runs afoul of the Constitution on the prayer issue and will violate the rights of the graduating son, who was known in court only by the initials C.S. but was identified by district officials as Corwin Schultz.

The lawsuit, filed late last week, sought an emergency court order barring the district from sponsoring school prayer at graduation, and Biery largely granted it. He told the district to tweak its program, which had not yet been printed, and instruct speakers so that the ceremony won't include prayer.

But Biery left the door open for student speakers to invoke individual beliefs as long as they don't ask the audience to pray.

Tuesday's order does not end the case. The lawsuit also alleges similar violations are likely at future school events. Biery advised the parties to come together to address those situations.

The district said it would follow the order.

“We want to be clear, it's one parent's position,” Assistant Superintendent Chris Martinez said of the plaintiffs. “We don't believe, as a school district, that we have done anything wrong.”

The district has received support from the community, the country and overseas, Martinez and other district officials said.

Craig Wood, one of the district's lawyers, acknowledged that the school's graduation programs in the past have said “invocation” and “benediction” but only because the terms are traditional. No one has asked graduation attendees in recent years to pray, district officials said.

The Schultzes' lawyers argued that “invocation” and “benediction” are invitations from the district for prayer, and therefore, an endorsement.

Ayesha N. Khan, legal director of Washington, D.C.-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said the school has forced prayer on the Schultzes' sons and other students at other events. She noted Corwin Schultz quit band because he had been forced to stand at events for prayer, which also happens at athletic events.

“It appears the school district has been violating the Constitution for decades,” Khan said.

For Saturday's graduation, Biery said, speakers can't call for the audience to stand and bow their heads, or use religious phrases referring to prayer, such as “let's pray,” “amen” and so forth.

“The adults will instruct the student leaders on what they can and can't say,” Biery said. “Then everyone count to 10, take a deep breath and let these students enjoy their special moment, including the young Mr. Schultz.”

Acid Trip
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
From another article on this story:

"The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/02/prayer-prohibited-at-graduation-ceremony/#ixzz1ODie1JVo

Irreparable harm eh? I'd love to hear that explanation. Why can't people understand we have FREEDOM OF RELIGION, NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2011, 01:55 PM
From another article on this story:

"The judge declared that the Schultz family and their son would “suffer irreparable harm” if anyone prayed at the ceremony."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/02/prayer-prohibited-at-graduation-ceremony/#ixzz1ODie1JVo

Irreparable harm eh? I'd love to hear that explanation. Why can't people understand we have FREEDOM OF RELIGION, NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION!

I agree....I'm not religious at all and I wouldn't care if someone wanted to read a prayer at some event I was attending.

All because of one idiot family :roll:

Acid Trip
06-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I agree....I'm not religious at all and I wouldn't care if someone wanted to read a prayer at some event I was attending.

All because of one idiot family :roll:

I'm curious, has anyone ever been harmed by prayer? If not, where is the precedence that they would suffer "irreparable harm" by hearing a prayer?

Muddy
06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Im for separation of church and state... If someone wants to make a personal prayer I think that's cool... But for the school to sponsor one I think is discriminatory..

AntZ
06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Federal Court Lifts Ban on Public Prayer at Texas High School Graduation After Uproar

Published June 03, 2011 | FoxNews.com

A federal appeals court has lifted the order banning public prayer at a Texas high school graduation Saturday.

The reversal comes on the heels of increasing criticism of a federal judge's earlier ruling that agreed with the parents of one graduating student that religious expression during the ceremony at Medina Valley Independent School District would cause "irreparable harm" to their son.

The 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals thought differently, reversing the judge's ruling Friday and allowing students to say the word "amen" and invite the audience to pray during the ceremony.

"This is a complete victory for religious freedom and for Angela," said Kelly Shackelford, president/CEO of Liberty Institute, which had represented class valedictorian Angela Hildenbrand in the appeal. "We are thrilled that she will be able to give her prayer without censorship in her valedictorian speech tomorrow night. No citizen has the right to ask the government to bind and gag the free speech of another citizen."

Chief U.S. District Judge Fred Biery's initial ban had been denounced as an "activist decision" by U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who called it "exactly the wrong civics lesson to teach to the class of 2011."

Biery had ruled Thursday in favor of Christa and Danny Schultz, who sued to block such religious expressions at their son's graduation. Among the words or phrases Biery had banned were: “join in prayer,” “bow their heads,” “amen,” and “prayer.”

He also ordered the school district to remove the terms “invocation” and “benediction” from the graduation program, in favor of "opening remarks" and "closing remarks."

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott responded by voicing support for the school district in its appeal.

“Part of this goes to the very heart of the unraveling of moral values in this country,” Abbott told Fox News Radio, saying the judge wanted to turn school administrators into “speech police.”

“I’ve never seen such a restriction on speech issued by a court or the government,” Abbott told Fox News Radio. “It seems like a trampling of the First Amendment rather than protecting the First Amendment.”

Biery's ruling infuriated religious activists, like the AGAPE Movement, a Christian group based in Wichita Falls, Texas, which had said Friday it would travel to the school in Castroville for a peaceful protest if the ban wasn't reversed, according to the San Antonio-Express News.

The family's suit was being backed by the Washington-based Americans United for Separation of Church and State.