PDA

View Full Version : NO MORE STARS AND BARS ON CARS - Virginia

Muddy
06-23-2015, 02:58 PM
VA Gov. McAuliffe taking steps to ban Confederate flag from license plateshttp://i.imgur.com/JpQ4Hcy.jpg

RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) - No more Stars and Bars on cars. Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe announced Tuesday that he is taking steps to have the Confederate battle flag removed from Virginia license plates.

McAuliffe made the announcement after growing national debate over the Confederate battle flag on state grounds in South Carolina, following the tragic shooting at a Charleston church.

"First and foremost, I want to express, on behalf of all Virginians, our heartfelt sympathies to all members of the Emanuel Church Community, as well as the larger community in the City of Charleston," said McAuliffe. "Although the battle flag is not flown here on Capitol Square, it has been the subject of considerable controversy, and it divides many of our people. Even its display on state issued license tags is, in my view, unnecessarily divisive and hurtful to too many of our people."

A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision allows for states to restrict license plate designs.

"I asked the Attorney General's office to take steps to reverse the prior Court ruling that requires the Confederate flag be placed on state license plates," said McAuliffe. "I have directed Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne to develop a plan for replacing the currently-issued plates as quickly as possible."

redred
06-23-2015, 03:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ucEbbEj.jpg

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Unreal. A flag has become a scapegoat for one sicko's heinous crime. Granted, I would never fly the Confederate flag, but still...

Loser
06-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the same shit us gun owners go through ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
If you like your stars and bars you can keep your stars and bars

Muddy
06-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Here's my stance.

Like it or not. In this modern day and age the flag is divisive. If it bothers black people that much just take the thing down! Lets come together, not further divide over symbolism of a by gone era.

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2015, 08:46 PM
And by doing so, you're stifling a group of citizen's right to free speech.

Muddy
06-23-2015, 08:50 PM
And by doing so, you're stifling a group of citizen's right to free speech.

No, I'm not. They can put any rebel flag sticker they want on their car. They can fly any rebel flag they like on their vehicle. It just wont be on a state issued license plate.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Ebay and WalMart stopped selling all stars and bars too

DemonGeminiX
06-23-2015, 08:57 PM
Here's my stance.

Like it or not. In this modern day and age the flag is divisive. If it bothers black people that much just take the thing down! Lets come together, not further divide over symbolism of a by gone era.

No, I'm not. They can put any rebel flag sticker they want on their car. They can fly any rebel flag they like on their vehicle. It just wont be on a state issued license plate.

That's not what you're implying in the first quoted statement.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Ebay and WalMart stopped selling all stars and bars too

So did Amazon within the last hour.

Muddy
06-23-2015, 11:10 PM
That's not what you're implying in the first quoted statement.

:shrug: You know what I mean..

Loser
06-24-2015, 12:53 AM
I have since emailed corporate and closed all accounts with ebay and amazon due to their hypocrisy.

They sell god damned nazi memorabilia, but the stars and bars is banned...:roll:

Fucking hypocrites.

Loser
06-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Here's my stance.

Muddy, EVERY flag is divisive in some way.

deebakes
06-24-2015, 12:57 AM
http://i61.tinypic.com/nq7gvl.gif

DemonGeminiX
06-24-2015, 02:48 AM
I've read some of the comments on one of the articles on msn.com regarding this. This one in particular struck a chord with me. I thought it was pretty poignant:

This controversy has nothing to do with heritage or racism. It is only about power. It is about one group of people trying to exercise unreasonable and unnecessary power over others and claiming that their actions are justified to protect them from being offended. But since when did humans develop a fundamental right not to be offended? And when did it become necessary to protect this right at all costs? When did it become righteous to force a people to sacrifice a symbol of their heritage in favor of those who believe the same symbol to be racist (by way of example). The US flag flew over slavery for over seven decades. Should this symbol be sacrificed? Surely somebody is offended by that?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/georgia-and-mississippi-are-still-flying-versions-of-the-confederate-flag/ar-AAbYbtt

Griffin
06-24-2015, 02:55 AM
I wonder if WalMart which was founded and based out of Arkansas will stop selling the Arkansas state flag.
The blue star above "ARKANSAS" on the flag represents the Confederate States of America, which Arkansas joined in secession.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Arkansas

RBP
06-24-2015, 03:27 AM
This is a reactionary and stubburn country that forms opinion and makes law based on immediate reaction fueling urban legends. We don't really give a fuck about details, we just want action.

Reagan gets shot? Create gun laws that would not have impacted that shooting.
Len Bias dies? Create crack cocaine sentencing despite that Bias never did crack. (Which evolved into it being done to specifically target blacks)
Jabob Wetterling gets kidnapped? Create public sex offender registries, despite there being no connection to sex offenders.
Matthew Sheppard gets hung on a fence? Create hate crime legislation, despite his killing being a drug deal gone bad.

These things get ingrained in the national psyche.

The list is long... Patriot Act anyone?

deebakes
06-24-2015, 03:41 AM
Good ol' Jabob :rip:

RBP
06-24-2015, 03:59 AM
Good ol' Jabob :rip:

Yes, poor Jacob, and good old mother Patty. She became quite powerful in this arena and was an early advocate for civil commitment of sex offenders. She was quoted as saying if the offender says they'll recommit, the should be civilly committed. Wow, no assessment, no process? Mind you, Patty and I agree on this to an extent. She also thinks that the public registry has gotten way out of hand. She has also stated that politicians do not understand, not care to understand, these issues. Their focus is on taking some, any, action to meet the public demand. So sometimes she's right, but those two are huge clusterfucks.

Guess what, Dee? Your state is one of the worst in the nation in committing large numbers of sex offenders and never letting them out. No other state commits at the rate you do, and not a since person has ever been released from the Minnesota civil commitment program. The program is about to get taken over by the Feds, it's so bad. Thanks, Patty!

deebakes
06-24-2015, 04:22 AM
i don't necessarily see that as us being the "worst" :shrug:

i was a kid during the whole wetterling thing and it happened about 40 miles from my hometown. i don't remember a lot about that time from the political side, only that my parents made my brother and i stick together if we went to the mall or got separated from my parents starting at that time. it kinda freaked us out...

deebakes
06-24-2015, 04:23 AM
also, am i supposed to now purge all memories i had of my general lee bigwheel from the dukes of hazzard since they are taking all toys off the shelves? :(

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/23/8836571/dukes-of-hazzard-car-toys-confederate-flag

RBP
06-24-2015, 04:45 AM
i don't necessarily see that as us being the "worst" :shrug:

i was a kid during the whole wetterling thing and it happened about 40 miles from my hometown. i don't remember a lot about that time from the political side, only that my parents made my brother and i stick together if we went to the mall or got separated from my parents starting at that time. it kinda freaked us out...

:shrug: It was ruled unconstitutional last week. http://www.startribune.com/judge-expected-to-rule-today-in-lawsuit-challenging-minnesota-s-sex-offender-program/307884871/

As for Jacob, that sounds like a prudent thing for your parents to do. It was an abduction.

The only reason it became about sex offenders is because Patty Wetterling found out there was a sex offender half way house a few miles away and it pissed her off for some reason. It had nothing to do with the case, but it became about that.

Muddy
06-24-2015, 03:38 PM
We have a huge road in Richmond called "Monument avenue" It's very Southern historic and houses a lot of events... There is a group of people that now want this huge race coming to Richmond to be re-routed off of Monument ave..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Avenue

redred
06-27-2015, 09:49 AM
https://41.media.tumblr.com/e4ab4fe5b6e8a90e833ded3bb8fa4cad/tumblr_nqkib2EcIR1qzaszqo1_1280.jpg

deebakes
06-28-2015, 03:17 AM
good ol' boys :rip:

Hugh_Janus
06-29-2015, 10:00 PM
there's a a guy 'round here with the stars and bars with "the south will rise again" painted on the bonnet (hood) of his car.... he's not even 'merican...

DemonGeminiX
06-29-2015, 10:25 PM
I never got the whole "The South Will Rise Again" claim. Point in fact, there are tons of Yankees (including yours truly) living in the South, and I hate to break the news to a true Southerner, but there are more of us down here now than there are of them nowadays. So who's gonna rise up again?

Muddy
06-29-2015, 11:55 PM
I never got the whole "The South Will Rise Again" claim. Point in fact, there are tons of Yankees (including yours truly) living in the South, and I hate to break the news to a true Southerner, but there are more of us down here now than there are of them nowadays. So who's gonna rise up again?

Get the fuck out of here with that. Nobodys scared of you carpet bagging retards.. the only reason the North won the war is because they had 2 million troops to our 1 miilion.

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2015, 01:07 AM
:lol:

It's the truth though. People go where the jobs are and industry has moved to the South. A lot of qualified people from the North has relocated to fill those positions. Call us what you want but we've effectively taken over. True Southerners are a dying breed.

Muddy
06-30-2015, 01:18 AM
A true Southerner isnt a rebel flag flying redneck.. its a state of mind.. its a fuck you Ill do as I please mentality.. northerners come South because we have a better environment, life, and we haven't destroyed everything in our wake.. yet.

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2015, 01:29 AM
Screw all that "state of mind" horseshit. It's in your blood. And the blood must remain pure. You can't reason it or will it differently. It doesn't work that way.

A True Southerner is a person that can trace his or her lineage all the way back to pre-Civil War South, with no deviations. If one of your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc etc etc, is a Yankee, then you're a Yankee. Period. This was explained to me by several True Southerners, or so they claimed to be. I wasn't about to trace their family line to make sure.

So, with that in mind, if you have one direct ancestor coming from the North, then you're a Yankee. If you don't, congrats. If your kids marry Yankees and they have kids, then your grandkids are gonna be Yankees. There's no way around it.

Muddy
06-30-2015, 02:06 AM
It doesnt matter what you were told. Im a Richmonder man.. with roots. And yadda yadda blah blah blah.. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2015, 06:36 AM
Yes it does matter. "It's a state of mind" is new agey horseshit and you know it. Only people who desperately want to be Southerners yet can't lay claim to the status and refuse to acknowledge it say that bullshit. Now, who was it? Who was the ancestor in your family tree that makes you as big a damn Yankee as me?

Hal-9000
06-30-2015, 06:37 AM
That flag means only two things...that it's okay for Uncle Jesse to watch Daisy get undressed

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKksqKR3pI

Pony
06-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Yes it does matter. "It's a state of mind" is new agey horseshit and you know it. Only people who desperately want to be Southerners yet can't lay claim to the status and refuse to acknowledge it say that bullshit. Now, who was it? Who was the ancestor in your family tree that makes you as big a damn Yankee as me?

How dare you repeatedly use the "Y" word! I'm offended.

Apparently because I now have the right to not be offended I'm going to start a viral campaign to get you fired from work. If I'm still offended I'll have the masses drag you out of your house to the town square and stoned to death. That should help my feelings.

Hal-9000
06-30-2015, 07:37 AM
quit bein so gay

http://i.imgur.com/bBW3YlG.jpg

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2015, 07:48 AM
How dare you repeatedly use the "Y" word! I'm offended.

Apparently because I now have the right to not be offended I'm going to start a viral campaign to get you fired from work. If I'm still offended I'll have the masses drag you out of your house to the town square and stoned to death. That should help my feelings.

:-s

But we're both Yankees.

Pony
06-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Yankaa= ok Yankee= offensive

Teh One Who Knocks
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM
there's a a guy 'round here with the stars and bars with "the south will rise again" painted on the bonnet (hood) of his car.... he's not even 'merican...

There's people in this country that give their kids ridiculous sounding names and call themselves African-Americans....and they've never ever even been to Africa and I'm guessing the majority of them couldn't point it out on a map :dunno:

Goofy
06-30-2015, 10:43 AM
:scotland:

Muddy
06-30-2015, 12:57 PM

Too much thought into this, homey..

DemonGeminiX
06-30-2015, 10:20 PM
:nono:

You can't fool me, Yankee-boy. Out with it! 'Fess up!

Muddy
06-30-2015, 11:35 PM
No blood North in my blood. That I know of..

DemonGeminiX
07-01-2015, 12:45 AM
:suspect:

I'll catch you slippin'. You can't keep pretending forever.