PDA

View Full Version : Law preventing property seizures cutting into police budgets

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
The Associated Press

FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) - New Mexico law enforcement agencies say a new state law that prevents authorities from seizing assets from people unless they are convicted of a crime will devastate their budgets.

The Daily Times in Farmington reported Saturday that various police departments say a civil forfeiture law that took effect this month will mean less money for resources.

Under the law, police cannot seize a suspect's property unless they prove a crime occurred.

Police could previously take items for auction. The revenue funds police equipment or training.

Now, law enforcement agencies must store the items and either send them to the state Treasurer's Office or auction them locally.

But the proceeds go to the state's general fund either way.

Supporters say the law protects people who haven't been found guilty.

Hikari Kisugi
07-06-2015, 05:47 PM
I am confused, why would they seize your property if you had not been found guilty of anything?

Goofy
07-06-2015, 05:48 PM
I am confused, why would they seize your property if you had not been found guilty of anything?

:hitler:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2015, 06:00 PM

Its a bullshit law (that is being corrected) That allowed law enforcement to take your stuff and then you had to go and prove your innocents in order to get it back, which a lot of time people couldnt afford the lawyers to get their shit back and so they just lost everything. All law enforcement needed to do was claim suspicion

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Its a bullshit law (that is being corrected) That allowed law enforcement to take your stuff and then you had to go and prove your innocents in order to get it back, which a lot of time people couldnt afford the lawyers to get their shit back and so they just lost everything. All law enforcement needed to do was claim suspicion

Yup, and even if you can afford a lawyer, good luck getting your stuff back, the cops will fight you the whole way.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2015, 06:17 PM
:hand: Guilty until proven innocent, also please fell free to fight us since we have seized anything of value from you

Hal-9000
07-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Years and years ago my buddy got popped for a large amount of hash...they took his guitar, drum kit and car. They did ask him if he could provide pay stubs from any job and at the time, he couldn't.

not saying what they did was correct...the story tweaked a long ago memory