PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Says He Flew Confederate Flag During Parade To 'Protest Political Correctness', Suspended By Chief

Teh One Who Knocks
07-06-2015, 02:56 PM
By Jonathan Constante - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/46FF0gg.jpg

A volunteer firefighter has been suspended after he decorated his department’s fire truck wit the confederate flag at a parade in Minnesota.

Brian Nielsen, 43, says he’s not a racist. He said he flew both the Confederate and American flags on the back of the Hartland Fire Department truck because he is tired of political correctness, KMSP reported.

Despite his intentions, Nielsen’s decoration was not well received by others. Someone at the Third of July Parade posted a photo of the fire truck online and it quickly went viral.

"It was my decision and I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but boy was I wrong," Nielsen told The Associated Press.

Hartland Fire Chief Trent Wangen suspended Nielsen on Sunday. An investigation has been launched. Nielsen said he believes he will be asked to step down.

The Confederate flag has become a topic of heated debate following the Charleston Shooting, where Dylann Roof shot and killed nine people at a historically black church in South Carolina.

Major retailers such as Walmart, Amazon, Sears and eBay have already agreed to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise, CNN reported.

Still, Nielsen says his actions were not motivated by race.

"I don't see race," he said. "Black and white are the same to me. My belief is that `politically correct' is going too far."

DemonGeminiX
07-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Protesting and all that is great, but you know what? You're in Minnesota. That flag doesn't really take on the meaning up there that it does in the South, buddy. I applaud the thought to protect free speech/expression, but a small town Minnesota parade isn't exactly the right venue for it.

I swear, some people just don't understand the concept of choosing their battles wisely.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2015, 03:39 PM
He'll be asked to step down as a volunteer :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Protesting and all that is great, but you know what? You're in Minnesota. That flag doesn't really take on the meaning up there that it does in the South, buddy. I applaud the thought to protect free speech/expression, but a small town Minnesota parade isn't exactly the right venue for it.

I swear, some people just don't understand the concept of choosing their battles wisely.

I have no issue with him using his freedom of speech in Minnesota and using that flag, but he fucked up when he put it on a firetruck

perrhaps
07-06-2015, 09:58 PM
He'll be asked to step down as a volunteer :lol:

Hope his family doesn't have to go on welfare.

Muddy
07-07-2015, 12:34 AM
The new nazi flag.. lol.. what a joke.

Griffin
07-07-2015, 12:37 AM
I thought that I had built enough AR's, but after all this shit I'm ordering one of these. http://shop.tacticalshit.com/confed-forged-milspec-80-lower