PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft hangs up on Nokia business, to cut 7,800 jobs

Teh One Who Knocks
07-09-2015, 12:11 PM
By Devika Krishna Kumar and Abhirup Roy

(Reuters) - Microsoft Corp <MSFT.O> said on Wednesday it would cut 7,800 jobs, or nearly 7 percent of its workforce, and write down about $7.6 billion related to its Nokia phone business.

Most of the job cuts will be in the phone hardware business, underscoring the company's shift in focus to software and cloud from hardware.

About a third of the layoffs will be in Finland, where Microsoft will shut down a product development unit, according to Finland's national broadcaster YLE.

This is the second round of job cuts since Satya Nadella took over as chief executive in February 2014. Microsoft said last July it would slash up to 18,000 jobs.

Nadella has played up Microsoft's cloud and enterprise software capabilities, but investors have been concerned that the transition to cloud was not offsetting weakening sales of Windows and Office and a bleeding phone business.

Microsoft was widely expected to write off all or part of the $7.2 billion it paid for Nokia's handset unit in 2014, a deal that left the company with a struggling business and only 3 percent of the smartphone market.

The company announced last month that Stephen Elop, the former top boss at Nokia <NOK1V.HE>, would leave.

"Overall, we believe Nadella's proactive approach at cleaning up the Nokia acquisition is a positive "tipping of the hand" around Microsoft's future focus on software," FBR Capital Markets analyst Daniel Ives wrote in a note.

Microsoft's shares rose as much as 1.4 percent on Wednesday.

Cross Research analyst Shannon Cross said she expects more cost cutting in the next couple of years as Microsoft needs to become more competitive in the smartphone market.

The company, which had more than 118,000 employees worldwide as of March 31, said on Wednesday it would take a restructuring charge of about $750-$850 million in its fourth quarter ended June 30.

RBC Capital Markets analyst Ross MacMillan said he estimates the latest layoffs to reduce operating expenses by more than $1 billion on an annualized basis.

Microsoft shares have risen about 22 percent since Nadella took over in February last year.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-09-2015, 03:50 PM
:lol: Who would have thought they couldn't pull it off, I mean the phone OS by MS is so awesome

Teh One Who Knocks
07-09-2015, 04:09 PM
I know absolutely nobody that uses a Windows phone

Hal-9000
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
I had a choice between a windows phone and my current geritol phone last time I renewed....took the old phone :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
07-09-2015, 04:18 PM
this means that Jez finally gets out of the sweatshop! :cheers:

Noilly Pratt
07-09-2015, 05:52 PM
This is sad...a friend worked at Nokia as an engineer when Smartphones were merely an idea. He helped develop the smartphone and they were first to market with a camera/mp3/everything phone. Only Asia got it first. This was when N. America was into texting but not much else with phones.

They did make a packet of dough initially with some patents - my friend bought a new car outright with the Christmas bonus, but Nokia squandered a lot of it in R&D of the next big thing, while others overtook them.

They spent millions on product shows - one was where Snoop Dogg showed the latest phone in Cancun. My friend and his wife got a free vacation out of it, and so did hundreds of employees.

I held the prototype in my hands - must've been over 10 years ago. I was amazed.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-09-2015, 05:54 PM

One sales guy at my work came in with one, only one I have ever seen is use, he was severely mocked

Hal-9000
07-09-2015, 06:03 PM
people still talk about old Nokia phones and how durable they are...I have one that looks like a Blackberry and it's solid...feels like real metal

PorkChopSandwiches
07-09-2015, 06:04 PM
Nokias were great, its just MS that sucks :lol:

Hal-9000
07-09-2015, 06:13 PM
yes I was looking at a Nokia smart phone with a windows interface....for some reason I didn't trust the windows thing or read something about potential problems..so I went with the old phone that contains the 1976 OS and icons :lol:

RBP
07-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Was Nokia in trouble at the tike of the purchase or did Microsoft just fuck Finland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e_YBgh9O48

Jezter
07-10-2015, 08:56 AM
Well the whole downfall begun when they hired Elop as the CEO. More like eFLOP. He fucked up Nokia real good with his shit insider plot to feed Nokia back to his old employee Microsoft. It was doomed from the start. Nokia should've just stayed Nokia and not get involved with MS at all. Now we pay the price in Finland. Fucking fuck!

Arkady Renko
07-14-2015, 11:22 AM
When Elop took over at Nokia in 2010, the mobile phone business was already with its back to the wall. They'd been unable to come up with a competitive smartphone for over three years, if you remeber that the first iPhone was launchend in 2007. So Elop was not to blame fpr the poor state of affairs he found the company in. He did, however, fail miserably at turning things around. It's tragic, really because the hardware of the recent Nokia phones seemd pretty awesome. With a decent OS, they could at least have had a good shot at #3 behind Apple and Samsung.

The good news is, they can start over now. If they come up with some innovative features, they might be able to grab a significant market share eventually.

redred
07-14-2015, 01:09 PM

my otherhalf has a nokia windows phone , not a bad bit of kit for a £100 phone a couple of years ago , battery life is good also , my main reason for not wanting one is there are a shortage of apps that i like on android , but they seem to be getting more and more

Hikari Kisugi
07-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Yes I think the combined tablet and desktop launch of windows10 with a dedicated app store, and a theoretical ability to eventually bring android apps to the OS, might revitalise things.
I like the idea of my devices running the same OS, and one which isn't apple, so I actually know where files are, and don't have to use f'in iTunes to figure out if a song file book is actually on a damn device or not.
I hope it is a great success, if only to provide apple with some competition so they don't just keep suing Samsung for new ideas.

Jezter
07-14-2015, 08:28 PM
When Elop took over at Nokia in 2010, the mobile phone business was already with its back to the wall. They'd been unable to come up with a competitive smartphone for over three years, if you remeber that the first iPhone was launchend in 2007. So Elop was not to blame fpr the poor state of affairs he found the company in. He did, however, fail miserably at turning things around. It's tragic, really because the hardware of the recent Nokia phones seemd pretty awesome. With a decent OS, they could at least have had a good shot at #3 behind Apple and Samsung.

The good news is, they can start over now. If they come up with some innovative features, they might be able to grab a significant market share eventually.

Nokia actually released some statement some days back that was more or less saying they are coming back to the phone market...once they find a suitable partner.

Hal-9000
07-15-2015, 02:52 AM
my Nokia C3 (blackberry copy) was dropped a handful of times on a warehouse floor, couple of times outside on cement and never even took a scratch...it's a few years old and I have it in front of me now. Made of some type of metal for sure, heavy and well made :thumbsup:

Jezter
07-15-2015, 09:09 AM
The thing is that Nokias have always been legendary for their build quality and hardware quality. Just that they never got all out of the HW they had...except for Camera usually. Lets see if they can come back...