PDA

View Full Version : Infographics: Guns in the US

RBP
07-12-2015, 08:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/73Wo0Eo.jpg

dmni
07-14-2015, 08:28 AM
If you look at the actual published statistics on knife crime in England and Wales (population 55M) there were 26,340 incidents or 4.8 per 100,000 quite different from the 2,034 claimed.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/focus-on-violent-crime-and-sexual-offences--2012-13/rpt---chapter-3---weapons.html#tab-Offences-involving-knives-or-sharp-instruments--Prevalence-and-trends

As someone once said, "Lies, damn lies and statistics"

thebastardnextdoor
07-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Figures can be thrown about to suit any argument..and why can you own such high-powered weaponery?..this amazes me.
Protection I get but fuck these are not toys for pissing contests and I find it abhorrent they are comparing school shootings from different continents...surely one is one too many.

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 12:02 PM
School shootings are committed by the mentally imbalanced, people who are not allowed by law to own or operate firearms. Taking away guns from normal citizens will not curb the problem. That "high powered weaponry" you speak of is nothing more than a semi-automatic handgun designed to look like a fully automatic military rifle. Look like. They're no more powerful than a Glock pistol in a higher caliber.

And why are we allowed to have guns? Because our Constitution says we are. Because when governments get too big and corrupt, they take away free citizens' rights and their ability to defend those rights, and the Framers and Founding Fathers of this country saw fit not to allow this to happen. Because it happened once before and that's why we're not British subjects and haven't been since 1776.

Word to the wise: Don't take us to task over this, you will not win. It's fine to have an opinion and express it, but keep in mind you're expressing an opinion about somebody else's country where you don't live, where you don't understand why things are the way they are, and why those citizens think it's right. What would happen if we started nitpicking every little detail about your way of life in the land down under? How would that make you feel?

Goofy
07-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Because it happened once before and that's why we're not British subjects and haven't been since 1776.

We don't want you anymore anyway [-(

thebastardnextdoor
07-14-2015, 12:13 PM
School shootings are committed by the mentally imbalanced, people who are not allowed by law to own or operate firearms. Taking away guns from normal citizens will not curb the problem. That "high powered weaponry" you speak of is nothing more than a semi-automatic handgun designed to look like a fully automatic military rifle. Look like. They're no more powerful than a Glock pistol in a higher caliber.

And why are we allowed to have guns? Because our Constitution says we are. Because when governments get too big and corrupt, they take away free citizens' rights and their ability to defend those rights, and the Framers and Founding Fathers of this country saw fit not to allow this to happen. Because it happened once before and that's why we're not British subjects and haven't been since 1776.

Word to the wise: Don't take us to task over this, you will not win. It's fine to have an opinion and express it, but keep in mind you're expressing an opinion about somebody else's country where you don't live, where you don't understand why things are the way they are, and why those citizens think it's right. What would happen if we started nitpicking every little detail about your way of life in the land down under? How would that make you feel?

I'm not taking anyone to fucking, definately not nit-picking, and certanly not after a "win" so please dont jump down my fucking throat...from down here in the slums its very hard to understand how really bad things continue to happen and nothing is done about it...so you are telling me that no-one privately owns a higher grade weapon than a semi-automatic handgun designed to look like a fully automatic military rifle?

Hey you are a Moderator so delete my post...go the whole hog and delete me altogether.

fuck me.

redred
07-14-2015, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vX4ETlCr4A

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 12:34 PM
No, we're fine. It's gonna take a helluva lot more than this for me to ban you. And I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm just giving you the real skinny. I guarantee you, other's will want to jump down your throat when they see your post, but they're going to be nice and hold their tongues. Because I said so.

As far as fully automatic weapons go, some people do. They're legal to own with the proper permit, but they're highly regulated. You can't just walk into any old gun shop and walk out with an M16 15 minutes later. It's a lot more complicated than that. But why not own one? Why do you need a truck when a car will do? Why do you need a yacht when a rowboat will do? Why do you need a plane when you can just jump on a Delta flight? Why not? Same difference. Some people do own them, but that doesn't make those people dangerous killers. What I'm telling you is that the crimes committed with guns aren't being committed by those who legally own higher powered fully automatic military grade rifles. They're being committed by those using standard firearms that anyone can get their hands on. Most of these criminals are getting these firearms illegally, because they're criminals and criminals don't obey the law to begin with. It's not the Wild West out here. We do have laws.

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 12:35 PM

:hand:

Liar.

Goofy
07-14-2015, 12:47 PM
:hand:

Liar.

Nuh-uh, you guys all talk funny :hand:

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Nuh-uh, you guys all talk funny :hand:

:nono:

Our fast food is awesome.

dmni
07-14-2015, 01:02 PM
I fully agree people should have the right to own whatever they want (there are some exceptions like owning another person) but I feel safer living in a country where the number of guns is significantly lower than others.

The original infographic uses statistics that were extrapolated from a very small sample (can't remember the exact numbers) in one of the more deprived inner city areas of the country. Statistics can be manipulated to show the result someone wants to reach.

redred
07-14-2015, 01:04 PM
:nono:

Our fast food is awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/brYXB36.jpg

you sure :lol:

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 01:07 PM

Foul!!! :lol:

Pony
07-14-2015, 04:42 PM

Hows that independence thing going for you guys? :-k

Maybe if you had more guns! :nana:

Pony
07-14-2015, 04:53 PM
I'm not taking anyone to fucking, definately not nit-picking, and certanly not after a "win" so please dont jump down my fucking throat...from down here in the slums its very hard to understand how really bad things continue to happen and nothing is done about it...so you are telling me that no-one privately owns a higher grade weapon than a semi-automatic handgun designed to look like a fully automatic military rifle?

Hey you are a Moderator so delete my post...go the whole hog and delete me altogether.

fuck me.

No need to get upset mate, it's just an internet discussion. It's also easy to misread the intent behind the post. I don't think DGX was trying to make you mad, the topic of guns has repeatedly been argued about endlessly here as we have people from quite a few countries all with different opinions.

Feel free to discuss your point of view, even argue your point. We don't delete posts or ban anyone unless they start flinging personal insults in anger and there is always a verbal warning to cool off beforehand.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-14-2015, 05:08 PM

Frozen food is not the same as fast food :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Only 20- 30 minutes of defrosting and you can enjoy a PB&J

DemonGeminiX
07-14-2015, 05:36 PM
Only 20- 30 minutes of defrosting and you can enjoy a PB&J

:facepalm:

Just buy the damn peanut butter, jelly, and bread and make the damned sandwich yourselves, you lazy twats. :lol:

redred
07-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Hows that independence thing going for you guys? :-k
:

:lol:

deebakes
07-15-2015, 12:54 AM
:facepalm:

Just buy the damn peanut butter, jelly, and bread and make the damned sandwich yourselves, you lazy twats. :lol:

how are you supposed to apply said peanut butter and jelly? :?

DemonGeminiX
07-15-2015, 09:33 AM
how are you supposed to apply said peanut butter and jelly? :?

Ask your wife after she dresses you and ties your shoe laces for you.

:lol:

beowulf
07-15-2015, 11:17 AM
http://i59.tinypic.com/258um3m.jpg