PDA

View Full Version : BBC locks Top Gear offices 'to stop Clarkson taking souvenir' during last ever lap

Teh One Who Knocks
07-20-2015, 11:24 AM
By Lyndsey Telford - The Telegraph

http://i.imgur.com/NEzVfLE.jpg

Jeremy Clarkson has revealed how the BBC locked the Top Gear offices to stop him taking a souvenir when he returned to the set to drive his last ever lap.

The controversial former host of the much-loved TV show described how he felt “a bit choked” as he went through the gates of the famous race track one last time.

Clarkson, who was sacked from Top Gear earlier this year and is being replaced by new host Chris Evans, took part in the “last hurrah” last week – a lap around the track for charity.

“I was feeling a bit choked as I went through the gates for the very last time,” he said of the event.

“The Top Gear portable office was locked to stop me taking even a small souvenir. The hangar was empty.”

However, writing in The Sunday Times, the 55-year-old added that the track was “full of enough memories” to keep him going.

http://i.imgur.com/2Q7MVor.jpg
Chris Evans, a fan of classic cars, is the new host of Top Gear (PA)

“The missing lamp where Black Stig went off in an Aston Martin Vanquish. The tyre wall rendered cockeyed by the first White Stig's Koenigsegg moment. And the two furrows left by me after a quarter-of-a-mile spin in a BMW 1-series,” he reminisced.

Clarkson, who was joined by Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason at the event, said he wanted to enjoy his last moment on the track – which he did with a brand new Ferrari 488 shipped over from Italy.

“It was time for the last lap. And I made it a good one. A smooth one. The sort of lap that would have made the Stig proud,” he said.

Clarkson's BBC contract was not renewed after an internal inquiry in March found he had assaulted Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon in a row over a hotel meal.

He and former co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May are free to make a different kind of motoring show for ITV, but are thought more likely to go to an online broadcaster such as Netflix or Amazon which are not covered by a clause in their old BBC contracts that stop them making a rival car show on another UK channel.

The last lap raised £100,000 for the Roundhouse, a London-based charity which supports disadvantaged youngsters.

Goofy
07-20-2015, 12:23 PM
He and former co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May are free to make a different kind of motoring show for ITV, but are thought more likely to go to an online broadcaster such as Netflix or Amazon which are not covered by a clause in their old BBC contracts that stop them making a rival car show on another UK channel.

Hurry up and get it done! :x

Hal-9000
07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
never watched the show...someone wanna explain what a black and white stig is?

Goofy
07-21-2015, 05:33 PM
never watched the show...someone wanna explain what a black and white stig is?

"The Stig" is the test driver they use for doing test laps on the Top Gear circuit with various cars (they have a huge leaderboard to see which cars can do it fastest). The Stig's identity is always kept secret, he keeps his helmet on at all times :lol: First Stig eventually "outed" himself after being sacked, he was an ex rally driver iirc :-k

Hal-9000
07-21-2015, 05:42 PM
"The Stig" is the test driver they use for doing test laps on the Top Gear circuit with various cars (they have a huge leaderboard to see which cars can do it fastest). The Stig's identity is always kept secret, he keeps his helmet on at all times :lol: First Stig eventually "outed" himself after being sacked, he was an ex rally driver iirc :-k

thanks...so next dumb question is why? I think I saw a guy once dressed in some sort of full body outfit.....why the mystery? And what is the goal of the show in general? Do they have a two car race or do they just do time trials of various cars?

Goofy
07-21-2015, 08:09 PM
thanks...so next dumb question is why? I think I saw a guy once dressed in some sort of full body outfit.....why the mystery? And what is the goal of the show in general? Do they have a two car race or do they just do time trials of various cars?

Just go watch an episode ffs :lol: I think it's a great show! They do lots of stupid and funny stuff/challenges involving cars.

Hugh_Janus
07-21-2015, 09:47 PM
yeah, the specials are mostly brilliant too

Hal-9000
07-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Just go watch an episode ffs :lol: I think it's a great show! They do lots of stupid and funny stuff/challenges involving cars.

That's not an answer [-(

DemonGeminiX
07-22-2015, 07:22 PM

I think the mystery adds something to the show. Keeps you watching because you're hoping to find out who he is.