PDA

View Full Version : Hackers Threaten to Expose 37 Million Cheating AshleyMadison Users

Teh One Who Knocks
07-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Chris Mills - Gizmodo

http://i.imgur.com/ogRdf82.jpg

AshleyMadison — tagline “Life Is Short. Have An Affair” — is an online site that facilitates cheating among its 37 million users. It’s a service founded on confidentiality and privacy, which now seems to have all of its data in the hands of hackers. They’re demanding the company take down the site, or they’re going to out a lot of adulterers.

The hackers, going by the name “The Impact Team”, posted a small sample of sensitive data (since taken offline) stolen from Avid Life Media, the company that owns AshleyMadison, along with other hookup sites Cougar Life and Established Men. The data was accompanied by a statement, demanding the takedown of AshleyMadison and Established Men. If that doesn’t happen, the hackers are threatening to leak the full details — names, addresses, sexual fantasies — of AshleyMadison’s 37 million users.

Speaking to security blog KrebsOnSecurity, ALM Chief Executive Noel Biderman confirmed the hack, condemned the “criminal act”, and said the company was working hard to have the data taken down.

http://i.imgur.com/D3Wdzxo.png

The Impact Team’s beef with Avid seems to lie with the Full Delete feature offered by AshleyMadison — a $19 service that allows users of the site to erase their profile, and all accompanying information. According to The Impact Team, that service is a lie — it claims that although profile information is removed, credit card details — including real name and billing address — remain online.

That frames the hackers as the good guys, campaigning against a lying company; of course, a trove of personal information, including credit card details, can be worth serious money to the right people.

It goes without saying that this is about the worst data leak imaginable — not only does it have the usual problems of identity fraud, but if the full list of AshleyMadison’s users hits the internet, that’s a lot of adulterers outed.

Goofy
07-20-2015, 12:15 PM
Cheats never prosper :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-23-2015, 10:37 AM
Newser

http://i.imgur.com/Di5VqNC.jpg

Ottawa, best known as the capital of Canada, also features the National Gallery of Canada, the annual Bluesfest, winter skating on the Rideau Canal—and, perhaps, a staggering amount of illicit sex.

Recently hacked affair hookup site Ashley Madison has 189,810 Ottawans on its books, which is roughly 20% of the city's population and the highest sign-up rate for the site in Canada and possibly the world, according to Reuters.

"My God, my phones will be busy," a private investigator told the Ottawa Sun after hackers calling themselves the "Impact Team" threatened to put details of the site's 37 million users online.

"Everybody says Ottawa is a sleepy town and here we are with 200,000 people running around on each other," a city employee tells Reuters, although other residents, including a woman who describes "buttoned-down" Ottawa as "the city fun forgot," say they're not surprised by the high Ashley Madison sign-up rate.

Of course, Reuters floats the possibility the number could be inaccurate: It points to a since-dismissed court case that revolved around the alleged creation of fake Brazilian profiles.

At Ashley Madison, customer service appears to be in "meltdown," with some reps falsely claiming that the hackers were not successful and all customer data is completely secure, the Guardian reports.

(The site has now waived a $19 fee that irked hackers.)

Hal-9000
07-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Life is short. Have an affair.

I can't believe they use that as their main tag line :lol: