PDA

View Full Version : Man used $476,000 in company funds for strippers, feds say

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Matthew Casey, The Republic

A Gilbert computer engineer financed a nearly half-million-dollar online-stripper habit with a company credit card and tried to cover it up by lying about what he had bought in expense reports, according to federal authorities.

A federal grand jury in Missouri indicted John David Berrett last week on five counts of wire fraud in connection with more than $476,000 that investigators say he spent using purchasing power entrusted to him by World Wide Technology.

A St. Louis-based company with an office in Phoenix, World Wide Technology describes itself as a "global systems integrator" with about $6.7 billion in annual revenue.

Authorities say Berrett, 40, filed fake expense reports that said he had spent the money on traveling to meet, train and entertain the company's customers, records show. He also claimed to have bought computer-networking supplies and training materials, the indictment states.

A representative from the company's Phoenix office did not immediately return a call seeking comment and no one responded to a voice mail left at a number listed for Berrett.

The 16-page indictment accuses Berrett of buying tokens used to pay online strippers and spending about $10,800 on one website alone. He racked up the charges on a corporate credit card for roughly 13 months in 2013 and 2014, documents state.

During that time, Berrett, authorities allege, tipped online strippers about 2,200 times for a total of more than $100,000, records show. Berrett also is accused of giving one stripper about $27,000 to pay for her college tuition, buy new tires and finance her parents' utility bill.

Berrett also bought gifts for his favorite performers, including chocolates, flowers, shoes, wine, a handbag, a television, a laptop and an iPod, according to the indictment.

Documents state that Berrett's claim of a "bribe for the UNIX guys" was actually about $225 in wine for one stripper. He bought another stripper a digital piano, headphones and extended warranty worth about $2,300, but claimed it was fiber-optic cables, disc drives and patch cords, records show.

Berrett also is accused of buying himself a gift: Records show he spent about $130 on a sex toy touted as a "top selling pleasure products brand for men" but told the company he had purchased a training guide with practice questions.

Goofy
07-28-2015, 12:22 PM
:shakehead:

PorkChopSandwiches
07-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Why use your own money when you got company credit

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2015, 01:28 PM
I can see maybe trying to fudge the numbers if you got carried away and spent a few hundred bucks, maybe even a thousand, but nearly half a million? How do you cover that up? :lol:

Hal-9000
07-28-2015, 06:37 PM
I can see maybe trying to fudge the numbers if you got carried away and spent a few hundred bucks, maybe even a thousand, but nearly half a million? How do you cover that up? :lol:

He made it to 476,000 :lol:

I've never expensed anything at work, used purchase orders for items though.

So how does he give a stripper a tip then claim...." it was fiber-optic cables, disc drives and patch cords." Doesn't he have to provide store receipts?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-28-2015, 06:47 PM
I usually use PO's for everything I order, but I do also have a company AmEx card to use if I need to get stuff at like Home Depot or whatnot, or if I have to buy something from a new vendor where we don't have an account. I can get away with not providing receipts for some small purchases every now and again if I lose it or just plain forget to turn it in, but I could never ever 'misplace' that much in receipts and pretend it was something else :lol:

Hal-9000
07-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Yeah in the case of one girl (and her parents) he's giving them 27000 over a period of time.

His company must be rolling in the dough for him to claim things like bribes and training materials, for sums that large :lol:

Hal-9000
07-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Fck me I got queried on some colored markers or some shit one time and I was pissed. It was for a large overage project where we were throwing away older client items and some dockets had costs in the thousands....yet let's grill hal because we don't believe the hi-liters cost 12 dollars :x

Hal-9000
07-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Old funny story...when I was with an oil company we moved to another building.

There was a larger, pissy woman in charge of securing the moving company/supplies/any purchases that had to be made during the project. We heard she was the head purchaser and could literally writes PO's and furnish a house.

I end up insulting her and the moving company at one point. She was wearing a leather skirt and I may have remarked - Geez, I wonder how many cows were sacrificed to make that! She asked for my feedback on the workers she hired, they were eejits, I told her so and got into crap again...

Then about two months later we hear she was caught expensing condos out at Banff resorts for her friends/family and also....using PO's to provide new furniture in her friends homes :lol: :lol: The amounts were significant and bad enough for her to get jail time.

deebakes
07-29-2015, 01:10 AM
:wank:

perrhaps
07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Fck me I got queried on some colored markers or some shit one time and I was pissed. It was for a large overage project where we were throwing away older client items and some dockets had costs in the thousands....yet let's grill hal because we don't believe the hi-liters cost 12 dollars :x

It had nothing to do with the hi-liters, Hal. People generally just don't like you.

Hal-9000
07-29-2015, 05:17 PM
It had nothing to do with the hi-liters, Hal. People generally just don't like you.

thanks for taking the time to post that :(

perrhaps
07-29-2015, 05:54 PM
thanks for taking the time to post that :(

Cheer up, buckaroo! People also generally don't like Al Sharpton, and look at how much money and power he has.

Hal-9000
07-29-2015, 06:07 PM
I have no money and 1/2 of the charisma that Al has

thanks

:coat:

Hal-9000
07-29-2015, 06:09 PM
me :sad2:

http://i.imgur.com/6HQfjkq.jpg