PDA

View Full Version : Oregon mom sentenced for failing to help 4-year-old son in fire

Teh One Who Knocks
07-30-2015, 11:12 AM
The Associated Press

SALEM, Ore. – An Oregon woman who pleaded guilty to a manslaughter charge after authorities say she failed to help her 4-year-old son who died in an apartment fire has been sentenced to 11 years in prison.

The Statesman Journal reports Keizer Police Detective Chris Nelson said that 24-year-old Niya Breann Sosa-Martinez could see her son through the flames and had the opportunity to go save him, but didn't.

Nelson said Sosa-Martinez didn't know why she didn't go back in and was panicking.

Detectives later discovered burn marks consistent with marijuana paraphernalia. Sosa-Martinez had claimed that her son started the October fire by knocking over a candle.

The Keizer woman had been on probation for a child neglect case at the time.

She apologized to her family in court Wednesday.

Hal-9000
07-30-2015, 04:32 PM
There must be more to this story. They don't usually give 11 year sentences to people that are in jeopardy themselves.

Drugged up or not, she isn't a firefighter.

Goofy
07-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Drugged up or not, she isn't a firefighter.

Drugged up or not, i'd be fighting through the flames to save a loved one.

Hal-9000
07-30-2015, 05:19 PM
You and I may attempt it Goof, but surely they can't expect the average person to put their lives into further danger and attempt rescues...

Hal-9000
07-30-2015, 05:21 PM
or is this like the 911 operator story?

Fire department, please come quick the house is one fire!!!

:hand: You handle it.

Goofy
07-30-2015, 05:47 PM
You and I may attempt it Goof, but surely they can't expect the average person to put their lives into further danger and attempt rescues...

I dunno, i'd expect the average Joe/Josephine to always put their life in danger to protect their kid :-k The "could see her son through the flames and had the opportunity to go save him, but didn't." part makes me think that she deserves jail. She pleaded guilty to manslaughter so she obviously feels she could have done more to save her son.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-30-2015, 05:51 PM
Detectives later discovered burn marks consistent with marijuana paraphernalia.

WTF does this even mean? I cant say I have ever had a burn mark from MJ paraphernalia. Unless they mean some resin on my fingertips from holding a joint

Goofy
07-30-2015, 06:00 PM
WTF does this even mean? I cant say I have ever had a burn mark from MJ paraphernalia. Unless they mean some resin on my fingertips from holding a joint

Rocky burns on her clothes? :shrug:

Hal-9000
07-30-2015, 06:34 PM

Maybe on the furniture?

Hugh_Janus
07-30-2015, 06:36 PM

blim holes

PorkChopSandwiches
07-30-2015, 07:00 PM
blim holes

Never heard that term :tup:

DemonGeminiX
07-30-2015, 07:18 PM
The Keizer woman had been on probation for a child neglect case at the time.

The paraphernalia evidence strongly indicates that she started the fire while smoking pot and she's been in trouble before for endangering the welfare of her child.