PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky man shoots down drone spying on 16-year-old daughter

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2015, 11:30 AM
By Mike Wehner - The Daily Dot

http://i.imgur.com/iAoKQtk.jpg

Where should we draw the line between the advancement of technology and the protection of personal privacy? For one Kentucky man, his property line is where he gets to make the call, and he made that point of view perfectly clear when he pointed his shotgun at a drone hovering in his backyard and pulled the trigger.

"It was just right there. It was hovering. I would never have shot it if it was flying," William Merideth said in an interview with Ars Technica. "When he came down with a video camera right over my back deck, that's not going to work."

Merideth claims that the drone was first spotted hovering over his neighbor's house—a claim his neighbor confirms—and he had no intentions of taking any actions against it until it entered onto his own property. Merideth's 16-year-old daughter was laying out by their pool at the time, and when the drone pilot decided to stop his vehicle and get an electronic eyeful, he decided enough was enough.

The homeowner fetched his shotgun and pumped three helpings of birdshot into the $1,800 drone, taking it out of the air in short order. Shortly thereafter, the drone pilot and three of his friends arrived at Merideth's property.

"If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there's going to be another shooting," Merideth says he told the men.

The police eventually arrived and Merideth was charged with first-degree criminal mischief and first-degree wanton endangerment, both related to his discharge of the firearm. The 47-year-old Merideth is confident that the charges will be reduced or thrown out entirely once his trial date arrives.

Griffin
08-01-2015, 11:42 AM
The charges will probably hinge on unedited video footage provided by the drone pilot. I would be willing to bet they don't want authorities viewing it though.

Either way the homeowner lost his shotgun.

deebakes
08-01-2015, 05:35 PM
fucking kids :x

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2015, 11:52 AM
by Chris Matyszczyk - c|net

http://i.imgur.com/MS0NQEI.jpg

It was a case that gripped the nation. Or at least Kentucky.

Should it have temporarily escaped your pressured memory, William Merideth in July said he saw a drone flying above his property in Hillview, Kentucky.

He believed it was spying on his 16-year-old daughter who was sunbathing in the garden. So he took out his shotgun and blasted the drone out of the sky. He was arrested for wanton endangerment and criminal mischief.

Now a Kentucky court has declared Merideth an innocent man. Bullitt County District Court Judge Rebecca Ward on Monday dismissed all charges against Merideth, reported local TV station WDRB-TV.

The drone's owner, David Boggs, had produced flight data that insisted his machine had been flying higher than Merideth had claimed.

The judge, however, seems not a fan of big data. She's a woman of the people. She declared that two human witnesses saw the drone below the tree line. This evidence was, to her, conclusive. To her, this was an invasion of Merideth's privacy.

Amateur drones hovering willy-nilly have disturbed more than just private citizens. Airline pilots' reports of drone close-calls on takeoff and landing have increased exponentially over the past year.

This summer, amateur drones flew over California wildfires, purely to capture dramatic pictures. This grounded helicopters which were desperately trying to drop water on the flames. There's still a $75,000 reward for anyone who leads authorities to those responsible.

The FAA's recommendations include not flying above 400 feet. "Don't be careless or reckless with your unmanned aircraft -- you could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft," the agency adds.

For his part, Merideth believes his case should never have gone to court.

"I don't encourage people to just go out and start blasting stuff for no reason," he told WDRB. "But three times in one day, three times over the course of a year, six times total, over one property? That's not right, that's harassment."

Boggs is reportedly considering his legal options.

Once Amazon and other retailers begin their deliveries by drone, there will surely be an almost permanent buzzing in the sky. How will people know whether the thing that's overhead is spying on them or merely delivering fresh underwear or zucchini to the nice people next door.

Every time technology thinks it's solving a problem, or at least creating new forms of entertainment, it brings with it new annoyances and potential for conflict.

This isn't necessarily a good thing in a nation where so many people own guns.

Goofy
10-30-2015, 01:36 PM
:pewpew:

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Good job, Kentucky. :thumbsup:

redred
10-30-2015, 02:57 PM
what colour was the drone ?

DemonGeminiX
10-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Which part of it?

Hal-9000
10-30-2015, 05:30 PM
"If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there's going to be another shooting,"

:lol:

Loser
10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
by Chris Matyszczyk - c|net

This isn't necessarily a good thing in a nation where so many people own guns.

So it's ok to spy on 16 year old girls sunbathing in countries where they don't own guns... Check. :roll:

redred
10-30-2015, 07:41 PM
sorry your amazon order can't be completed it was shot out the sky :lol:

can't wait for them to start using that one