PDA

View Full Version : The supersonic plane that could get you from London to NYC in 1 hour

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2015, 10:52 AM
By Brian Mastroianni - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/LHo9T14.jpg

Want to fly on a plane that can take you to London from New York in only an hour? While it sounds like an vehicle straight out of “James Bond,” aircraft manufacturer Airbus has filed a patent with the U.S. Patent Office for the development of an “ultra-rapid air vehicle and related method for aerial locomotion.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dyrbRGkVKI

The jet is seen as the successor to the Concorde, a supersonic passenger jet that was in service from 1976 to 2003. While that original aircraft could hit speeds as high as Mach 2, this proposed hydrogen-powered plane would travel as high as Mach 4.5.

The aircraft would take off vertically like a space shuttle, and — once it would climb to more than 100,000 feet — ramjets, normally seen on missiles, would blast off to help the plane reach its super speed.

“When the vehicle has reached supersonic speed at very high altitude … the trajectory is gradually curved until it becomes horizontal,” reads the patent.

A video from patent-explaining website PatentYogi gives an overview of the proposed aircraft. Passengers on the plane would recline in hammocks, remaining comfortable for what the site calls a “rollercoaster” of a flight.

Those looking to book their flights will have to wait for quite a long while. Back in 2011, when the idea was first proposed, Airbus — then the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS) – said that it would likely take 30 to 40 years for the plane to enter service, the BBC reports.

Airbus has not yet responded to a request for comment on this story from FoxNews.com.

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 07:33 PM
3324 mph :-k

wonder if you feel compressed during the flight?

deebakes
08-06-2015, 11:01 PM
ugly :hand:

perrhaps
08-07-2015, 09:09 AM
Intriguing, but I'd wager that I'd still have a screaming kid in the hammock behind me.

HyperV12
08-07-2015, 06:21 PM
I'm amazed it's taken 12yrs.

Hal-9000
08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
The Concorde had a fairly good flight record I suppose....although the one crash killed everyone on board and four people on the ground for good measure.

Actually, something like 27 years of service and over 100 dead is not really a great record :-k

here are the old Concorde stats...quite a few near misses before the big death accident in 2000

http://www.concordesst.com/accident/past.html

HyperV12
08-07-2015, 06:45 PM
I've flown on Concorde, not scheduled but one of those red-letter day flights, awesome experience. Went to Mach 2.2 over the north sea, saw the curvature of the earth from 59000ft and drank nothing but champagne the whole trip, that said, it's tiny and cramped inside.

Hal-9000
08-07-2015, 06:48 PM
I've flown on Concorde, not scheduled but one of those red-letter day flights, awesome experience. Went to Mach 2.2 over the north sea, saw the curvature of the earth from 59000ft and drank nothing but champagne the whole trip, that said, it's tiny and cramped inside.

very cool :thumbsup:

I've been on a bus to Edmonton that went over 60 mph because the driver was pissed....

:|

HyperV12
08-07-2015, 08:12 PM
very cool :thumbsup:

I've been on a bus to Edmonton that went over 60 mph because the driver was pissed....

:|

:lol: