PDA

View Full Version : Stop Windows 10 spying dead in its tracks with one free app

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
By Zach Epstein - BGR

http://i.imgur.com/t70nXqU.jpg

The verdict is in: people love Windows 10. Microsoft’s new operating system has been a hit with the tech press and users alike, with millions of people around the world singing the new software praise. Yes, anything is better than Windows 8, but Windows 10 isn’t just “better than Windows 8,” it really is a terrific piece of software that dials back Microsoft’s earlier missteps and encourages productivity.

Of course, nothing is perfect and Windows 10 has a few issues. Beyond the bugs — here are some common Windows 10 problems and how to fix them (http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-error-most-common-problems/) — Microsoft’s Windows 10 software has some features that can certainly be considered an invasion of privacy, and they’re enabled by default. We told you how to opt out of several of Windows 10’s spying features in an earlier article, but now there’s a new free program that can do almost all of the heavy lifting for you.

In our earlier article, we explained that Windows 10 includes a number of settings that track usage in different ways. We also shared an except from Microsoft’s Windows 10 privacy statement that is more than a little disconcerting.

Here’s that excerpt again:

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement."

Whether or not you might be considered a “privacy nut,” this should alarm you at least a little. Windows 10 opts you into a number of iffy tracking features by default, and it’s up to you to go in and opt out.

Our earlier coverage discussed a few key settings and how to manually opt out, thus preventing much of the tracking that Microsoft has enabled in Windows 10. That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though — there are a number of other things users concerned with privacy will want to address.

Enter DoNotSpy10 (http://pxc-coding.com/de/portfolio/donotspy10/), a new free app from German developer pXc-coding. Moving beyond the key settings we discussed earlier, this app creates a centralized interface where users can quickly and easily adjust settings related to 37 different features that have a direct impact on security and privacy. This means that instead of combing through a dozen different settings screens in Windows 10, users can adjust all of their privacy and security settings in one place.

Here’s a full list of the settings DoNotSpy10 can currently configure:

Disable telemetry
Disable Biometrics
Disable handwriting data disclosure
Disable handwriting Error Reporting
Disable Application Telemetry
Disable Inventory Collector
Disable Steps Recorder
Disable lock screen camera settings
Deactivate and reset Cortana
Disable localization
Disable sensors
Disable Web search
Disable Windows Media DRM Internet access
Activate postponing upgrades
Disable app notifications
Disable Password button ads
Stopping and resetting the advertising ID
Disable SmartScreen filter for URLs
Disable sending write information
Disable access to language list
Disable app access to localization
Disable app access to camera
Disable app access to microphone
Disable acquaintance
Disable app access to user accounts info
Disable app access to calendar
Disable app access to messages
Disable app access to wireless connections
Disable app access to Uncoupled devices
Disable prompts Feedback
Disabling Windows Update distribution
Disable Windows Update for other products
Disable WiFi Sense
Disable Windows Defender
Disable automatic Windows Updates
Deactivate OneDrive
Disable Automatic Driver Updates

Now, we should note that there are still a few steps from our earlier article that DoNotSpy10 doesn’t cover. Namely, you’ll still need to go online to Microsoft’s site and opt out of the company’s invasive advertising tracking features. For complete instructions on how to do that, be sure to visit our earlier article (http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/).

Pony
08-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks. I'm still debating on if I want to put it on my W8.1 laptop. My W7 laptop and W7 desktop will not be upgraded.

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 04:37 PM
when they stop supporting 98, I may try XP [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 04:51 PM
I have been more then happy with my Windows ME pc

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 05:17 PM
:hand:

Amateurs. My Windows 3.1 machine is still going strong.

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 05:17 PM
I remember at work in 2001-2002, they had me using a "PC" with Win 3.1.

Intra company email and one program...the thing was so slow when I typed a line of text the cursor blinked for 30-60 seconds, then started showing letters one at a time.

We timed opening one new note and replying - yes - then hitting send. Over eight minutes :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 05:25 PM
I have a Windows 3 system and a floppy drive to transfer data, since it isn't networkable

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 05:32 PM
We had a group of guys from our print shop and some managers look at it....long story but an old supervisor didn't like me and claimed I was always spending hours on emails.

Some of our PC's were using Win 3.1 (and networked throughout western Canada :-k) and my machine had a history of users and crappy hardware in it. One older quiet Asian guy laughed really loud when he ran the dir dos command and looked into the shit that was on the drive :lol: It was a combo of hardware and software problems that made it blindingly slow....it was real nice to demonstrate the 'email abilities' in front of that jerk and some of our management....

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 06:04 PM
I have a Windows 3 system and a floppy drive to transfer data, since it isn't networkable

3.5 or 5.25? I think I still have a pack of 5.25s laying around collecting dust somewhere.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 06:09 PM
:hand: 3.5 what Im I a caveman

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2015, 06:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gQqwi4X.jpg

I still use the 8" disks :)

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Sometimes I need more storage and will use a laser disk

http://i.imgur.com/xrwdEXY.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Don't make me whip out the Betamax. :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2015, 06:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/LfROHkq.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 06:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/De2B6VW.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Those things were used back in the 1700s. It took 200 years for tech to finally catch up and make them obsolete.

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 06:39 PM
My first PC :)

http://i.imgur.com/1kWLfyg.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 06:50 PM

My developer started in college with those, his buddy and him figured out how to set them up to crash the computer so everyone would leave, then they would fix it and get all their work done without interruption #OGVirus

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 06:56 PM
My developer started in college with those, his buddy and him figured out how to set them up to crash the computer so everyone would leave, then they would fix it and get all their work done without interruption #OGVirus

#firstcodemonkeys

It's amazing when I'm playing Skyrim and wondering just what it takes in the background to render the wind through the trees and bushes as a dragon is flying down and attacking me ...

a whole lotta zeros and ones :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Its hard to believe

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 07:02 PM
I got into pc's later than most, first home pc in 2003 and that was offline for a year....and I still remember learning how to overclock my pentium 90 (to 110 mhz) and the day I got 128 MB of ram :woot:

along with installing my soundblaster 16 card using 10, 3.5 inch diskettes, those were HUGE advancements for me :lol:

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 07:05 PM
recall reading in some pc magazine circa 2001 or so...." There will come a day when internal pc architectures may be able to accommodate a full gigabyte of RAM. Although some experts are saying that figure may never be seen by the average home user. "

DemonGeminiX
08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
It's amazing when I'm playing Skyrim and wondering just what it takes in the background to render the wind through the trees and bushes as a dragon is flying down and attacking me ...

a whole lotta zeros and ones :tup:

0 = low voltage and 1 = high voltage. Electrical voltages. All our CPUs are, are glorified voltmeters. The simplest thing in the world: a machine to read differences in voltages, then extend it by doing a whole mess of binary arithmetic operations on the resulting strings, then spit the results out to the next piece of hardware as sequences of high and low voltages. And that's it.

I got into pc's later than most, first home pc in 2003 and that was offline for a year....and I still remember learning how to overclock my pentium 90 (to 110 mhz) and the day I got 128 MB of ram :woot:

along with installing my soundblaster 16 card using 10, 3.5 inch diskettes, those were HUGE advancements for me :lol:

I started messing with computers in '92-'93. I had friends in NJ that had a few hardcore machines (not gaming machines, real computers) back in the 80s but I really wasn't into it back then. They were slower than all hell. Started in the early 90s, got competent up until '97, that's when I first started learning how to code. I found the underground at the tail end of '97, and then my real education began. :twisted:

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 07:22 PM
I remember Leisure Suit Larry was a big deal on one of our work computers....and trying to play one of the first MS flight simulators on a yellow monochrome screen, while each frame was built before our eyes, as we were 'flying'....

:lol: glory days

Hal-9000
08-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Guy who sold me my first pc said - you should learn how to build the boat, before you sail the boat.

Believe it or don't (and I know it doesn't show...) in 2003 I knew how to put together a pc from scratch and knew why some parts were used...the hardware aspect came first for me, as I didn't hit the net until late 2003/early 2004. Then I learned about programs and processes. I still help my friends with malware and speed problems..