PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather says Muhammad Ali is the 5th best boxer of all time

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2015, 10:36 AM
By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer - CBS Sports

http://i.imgur.com/YySeSMw.jpg

By now, this should not be a shock to anyone: Floyd Mayweather still believes that he's the greatest boxer of all time, placing himself above Muhammad Ali.

Mayweather, who will fight Andre Berto in September to wrap up his historic career, recently appeared on ESPN Deportes. There, he was asked to rank his top-five boxers of all time.

This is how his list played out:

Floyd Mayweather

Roberto Duran

Pernell Whitaker

Julio Cesar Chavez

Muhammad Ali

The entire list can obviously be debated, but what is sure to draw the ire of boxing fans is Ali's placement on that list.

"He was only at one weight-class," Mayweather said of Ali. "This is me just being honest. It's so hard (picking a top-five) ... What Ali did is he stood for a cause."

This isn't the first time Mayweather has slighted Ali. Back in April, prior to the Fight of the Century, Mayweather told Stephen A. Smith that "no one can ever brainwash me to make me believe that Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali was better than me."

But what Mayweather didn't say at the time is that he'd rank Ali fifth on the list of all-time greats.

Goofy
08-11-2015, 01:05 PM
"He was only at one weight-class," Mayweather said of Ali.

Yeah, i think Ali shouldve dropped down to lightweight, welterweight etc :thumbsup:

Ali's the greatest, he never avoided anyone (unlike a certain Mr Mayweather), he had charisma (unlike a certain Mr Mayweather), he had like-ability (unlike a certain Mr Mayweather), he was awesome on the mic (unlike a certain Mr Mayweather). If Ali was fighting in his prime right now he'd obliterate all PPV records, i have no doubt of that.

Why the fuck is Floyd taking on Berto in his last fight? Same as always, ducking the difficult options......... wouldn't fight Moseley until he was well past his prime, same with Pacquiao. Great technical boxer but boring as fuck to watch and has zero personality.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2015, 01:51 PM
And his list :roll:

Has he never heard of Rocky Marciano (49-0, 43 KO)? Joe Louis (66-3, 52 KO)? Sugar Ray Robinson (173-19-6, 108 KO)?

Goofy
08-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Apollo Crede, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2015, 02:01 PM
ESPN.com

http://i.imgur.com/DVo4NaB.jpg

Ronda Rousey refused to back down in her bitter feud with Floyd Mayweather when asked about the task of facing him in a no-rules fight, the latest jab in her public verbal slugfest with the pound-for-pound boxing champion.

Monday night when she was asked by a fan in Reddit's Ask Me Anything chat if she could take Mayweather in a no-holds-barred bout, Rousey did not pull any punches.

"Floyd is one of the best boxers of all time," said Rousey, the UFC female bantamweight champion. "He would definitely beat me in a boxing match. I unfortunately don't get into 'matches.' I fight for a living.

"In a no-rules fight, I believe I can beat anyone on this planet," she said. "Boxing is a sweet science with strict rules that I respect very much and aspire every day to improve at. But you said ruleless fight, and that's my honest answer."

Rousey's comment comes almost a month after she told reporters after winning an ESPY award for Best Fighter, for which Mayweather was a nominee: "I wonder how Floyd feels being beat by a woman for once. I'd like to see him pretend to not know who I am now."

Rousey said she had been waiting for the right opportunity to call out Mayweather, who in a July 2014 interview said of her, "I don't even know who he is."

"I know for damn sure he knew who I was," Rousey told reporters after winning her ESPY. "He was running against me for Best Fighter that year, and he had signed MMA fighters, so his feigned ignorance was meant to really be a snarky remark to me.

"I don't let those kind of things slide, but I'm also a patient girl," she said. "I'm not the kind of chick you make snarky remarks about. I waited a whole year to say something. And you know what? If I didn't win Best Fighter this year, I would have waited two years or three years."

Rousey (12-0) is the only women's bantamweight champion in the UFC's history. A two-time U.S. Olympic judoka, she has dominated her new sport. She defended her title by knocking out Bethe Correia only 34 seconds into the first round at UFC 190 in early August.

Rousey is widely seen as a fighter who is redefining the sport and has won 11 of her 12 fights in the first round, going into the third round once.

Hal-9000
08-11-2015, 06:45 PM
So because Ali never fought in different weight divisions he gets ranked by this clown as 5th?

Yeah ask the cavalcade of great boxers that Ali defeated where he ranks...

and I hope Rousey gets a charity match and fucks Floyd up

Hal-9000
08-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Duran...fck off...

Leonard schooled him in the rematch and Duran quit (no mas, no mas!) because he claimed he had cramps due to his training regimen and losing too much weight too quickly...and because the lights were the wrong shape and the ring canvas smelled funny and because the crowd looked mean and because his hair gel was the wrong type and because his water was too wet....

sure Duran was a great boxer and he did beat Leonard the first time....but it wasn't a KO or TKO...15 round decision

Hal-9000
08-11-2015, 06:52 PM
If Mayweather is so great why doesn't he gain 50 lbs and fight in the cruiser or heavyweight divisions?? He'd get his head knocked off