PDA

View Full Version : Drunk-driver pulls herself over after seeing sign's flashing lights

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
By Sarah Weber - The Sandusky Register

http://i.imgur.com/wYdZ6.jpg

A woman suspected of drunk driving pulled herself over on Milan Road after mistaking the flashing Skate World sign for police lights.

While pulling to the side of the road, however, the woman lodged her black Dodge Avenger into a snow bank near the sign.

A passerby stopped to see if the woman needed help and called police after noticing she seemed intoxicated, according to a Perkins Township police report.

The woman told the passerby she thought the flashing lights from Skate World's sign were police lights, police said.

When officers did arrive, they found Nicole Scott, 27, of the 1100 block McKinley St., sitting alone in her car.

She denied being the driver of the vehicle and said her friend Ray had been driving, but he ran off.

Scott refused a sobriety test because she insisted she was not the driver. She proceeded to tell police her friend Samantha had been driving, and later that her friend Courtney had been driving. Finally she said her friend Brittany had been driving, according to police.

Police found a half-full bottle of Michelob Ultra in the car and only one set of footprints near the vehicle. Scott had trouble walking when she exited the vehicle and had to be helped to a waiting police cruiser, the report said.

Police took Scott to the Erie County Jail on charges of operating a vehicle under the influence and having an open container. A tow company hauled her car from the scene.

traveler
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Serious Darwin award candidate right there :D

Hal-9000
02-09-2011, 10:48 PM
that's a slippery slope in a way......(see what I did there? :face:)

When I took driving lessons my instructor was an ex-cop.He told us if officers arrived
on the scene and the car was not moving, no keys in the ignition, the burden of proof
was put upon the police to prove who was actually driving the vehicle.

If this woman would have been a little bit more on the ball :lol:, she could have made some prints exiting the vehicle and kept her lie involving only one friend, not four and maybe got away with it.

Our ex officer also said that police can't dictate when a driver has been drinking.His example was that if you hit your car into a wall, then removed the keys, took out a bottle of booze and proceeded to drink as a much as possible...when the police arrived you could say that you were sober when hitting the wall, and drank after the accident because you were so shaken up.The most in that case they could charge with is a DUI, but they could not prove without a doubt that you were drunk while driving.

I won't test the hypothesis...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
But the real question is...have you ever been pulled over by a road sign? :-k

RBP
02-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I get stopped by a road sign all the time. 8-[

minz
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
We have road signs that flash a smiley face if your not speeding, and a sad face when you are speeding, yes, ive seen them both...

Hal-9000
02-10-2011, 01:54 AM
But the real question is...have you ever been pulled over by a road sign? :-k

a UFO once...but not a road sign, that's dumb