PDA

View Full Version : An ‘unarmed’ white teen was shot dead by police. His family asks: Where is the outrage?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2015, 11:59 AM
By Abby Phillip - The Washington Post

http://i.imgur.com/Kvy7J3X.jpg

Zachary Hammond was on a first date when he was fatally shot by a police officer in his car during a drug bust in South Carolina, his family says.

At the time the 19-year-old was shot and killed, his date, Tori Morton, was eating an ice cream cone, according to the family’s attorney, Eric Bland.

Morton, 23, was arrested and charged with possession of marijuana — all 10 grams of it — which, according to police, was the reason undercover agents set up the drug buy.

The official police report never mentioned the two gunshots that killed Hammond on July 26 in a Hardees parking lot. Seneca police say a second report — which has not been released to the public — details the officer’s account of the shooting.

Amid heightened scrutiny of fatal police shootings across the country, Hammond’s death has prompted numerous questions, few answers — and almost no national outrage.

More than a week after Hammond’s death, his family’s attorney says race is almost certainly playing a role in the disconcerting silence. Unlike the victims in the highest-profile police shootings over the past year — in cities from Ferguson and Cleveland to North Charleston and Cincinnati — Hammond was white.

“It’s sad, but I think the reason is, unfortunately, the media and our government officials have treated the death of an unarmed white teenager differently than they would have if this were a death of an unarmed black teen,” Bland told The Washington Post this week. “The hypocrisy that has been shown toward this is really disconcerting.”

He added: “The issue should never be what is the color of the victim. The issue should be: Why was an unarmed teen gunned down in a situation where deadly force was not even justified?”

So far this year, 25 percent of the people shot dead by police have been black, according to data collected by the Washington Post. But black people make up only 13 percent of the U.S. population.

Police say the officer was a victim of “attempted murder” by Hammond, who was driving the vehicle. According to Seneca Police Chief John Covington, Hammond was driving the car “toward the officer” who was trying to make the stop.

The officer fired twice, striking Hammond in the shoulder and torso.

His death was classified as a homicide; an autopsy conducted by the Oconee County Coroner’s Office did not specify from which direction the bullets hit Hammond’s body.

On Wednesday, Hammond’s family released the results of a private autopsy, which concluded that both bullets entered Hammond’s body from the back. According to the autopsy, the second bullet proved to be fatal, entering from the back of Hammond’s left side and passing through his chest, piercing his lungs and heart.

In a statement Wednesday, Coroner Karl E. Addis said he does not know how Hammond’s body was positioned at the time he was shot.

The facts of the fatal shooting are not unlike other cases that have prompted national outcry — most recently the shooting death of Sam DuBose, an unarmed black man who was shot dead during a traffic stop by a University of Cincinnati police officer. Officials released police dashboard camera footage of the incident which appeared to contradict the officer’s report that he was being dragged by DuBose’s vehicle. The video showed that the car was not moving when the weapon was fired and the officer was named and charged with murder.

The officer, who has been placed on administrative leave while the investigation is pending, used a similar rationale as the one in Cincinnati — that the vehicle was being used as a weapon.

“The driver accelerated and came toward the officer,” Covington, the police chief, said a day after the shooting, according to Fox Carolina. The officer “fired two shots in self-defense, which unfortunately were fatal for the suspect.”

Initially, Covington said his department would not release the officer’s name because of fear that it would “possibly subject the officer and family to harassment, intimidation or abuse.” But on Thursday, he told the Washington Post that the officer’s name and the report of the shooting would be released in “the next few days.”

The response to Hammond’s death has been disappointingly muted in Seneca, in South Carolina and nationally, said Bland, the family lawyer. He insists there would be more focus on the case if Hammond had been black.

“They’re called the civil rights organizations, they’re not called the black rights organizations,” Bland said. “The color of his skin should not matter. White-on-white crime does not get the same impact as white-on-black crime.”

Black activists are similarly asking why more people who countered the Black Lives Matter movement by saying “All Lives Matter” have been so silent on Hammond’s death.

#ZacharyHammond isn't going to get the outrage he deserves because it would force folks to admit their consistent defense of police is wrong

— jamilah (@JamilahLemieux) August 3, 2015

A cop killed a white kid and the #AllLivesMatter people are silent.. #ZacharyHammond

— LAINE RICKETTS (@little_crickets) August 5, 2015

Where are all the #AllLivesMatter people when it comes to #ZacharyHammond? All y'all looking funny in the light. pic.twitter.com/VeCbLAliG2

— Matthew A. Cherry (@MatthewACherry) August 4, 2015

#ZacharyHammond was gunned down (what seems much) like Sam DuBose was. Where are the violent cop defenders screaming #AllLivesMatter ????

— . (@MamaCrimz) August 5, 2015

There are a number of unanswered questions that remain in the case, which is being investigated by the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

A spokesman for SLED, Thom Berry, confirmed that dashboard video of the incident does exist and is part of the ongoing investigation. Berry said it has not yet been determined whether that video will be released.

“The whole issue of race is getting distorted and what’s getting lost is the real issue which is excessive force,” said Bland, the attorney. “All people need to be outraged by this. All people need to be asking the hard questions.”

RBP
08-15-2015, 02:38 PM
This is my shocked face. :|

RBP
08-16-2015, 06:35 AM
South Carolina cops refuse to release dash cam video of police shooting to death an unarmed, white teenager; family claims police desecrated his body

State investigators have refused to release dash cam videos from the shooting death of an unarmed, white teenager in South Carolina as his family claims police desecrated the young man's body.

The State Law Enforcement Division denied a public records request by the The Post and Courier to disclose videos from Seneca Police Department patrol cars.

Zachary Hammond, 19, was shot twice inside his car at a Hardee's parking lot, where he was on a first date with a 23-year-old woman. HIs family's lawyers, in a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and FBI Director James Comey, also claim Seneca police officers desecrated Hammond's body by lifting his dead hand and slapping it with a high-five gesture, WCSC-TV reported Friday.

Lt. Mark Tiller said he opened fire in "self-defense" when Hammond drove toward him during an undercover drug bust. Tiller has been placed on administrative leave pending dual investigations by state and federal agents of the July 26 killing.

The video denial comes as the Hammond family's attorneys say a witness saw police pulling something from a patrol car trunk and placing it under the teen's body.

Earlier this week, the Justice Department announced it would run a "parallel" inquiry to determine whether Hammond's civil rights were violated.

His parents, Angie and Paul Hammond, have pleaded for the release of police videos so they can see how their son died.

A small amount of marijuana was allegedly found in the possession of Hammond's date.

HyperV12
08-16-2015, 07:37 AM
I blame video games.

RBP
08-16-2015, 07:50 AM
I blame rap music.

redred
08-16-2015, 08:09 AM
I think hipster music has a lot to answer for

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2015, 06:10 PM
#BlackLivesMatter

#KillWhitey

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Aren't we supposed to riot or something?

redred
08-16-2015, 07:24 PM
no they're white folk

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 07:25 PM
I like this comment

and the #AllLivesMatter people are silent...

HyperV12
08-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Aren't we supposed to riot or something?

I can do Tuesday if that helps?

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 07:58 PM
I can do Tuesday if that helps?

okay I'll pencil you in....I have spin class and yoga Tuesday so we'll have to riot in between 1pm and 2:30pm. Hope that works for everyone :)

redred
08-16-2015, 08:01 PM
tuesday is good for me

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:04 PM
can you pick up the lattes and coffees Red?

redred
08-16-2015, 08:06 PM
no but a can grab drugs and cider , any help ?

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:10 PM
no but a can grab drugs and cider , any help ?

:shock:

Get a hold of yourself man! This is a white riot, you can't bring drugs and booze [-(

wtf

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
We should color coordinate our clothing too. Maybe a quick dress rehearsal Monday night?

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
snacks, we'll need snacks for the riot!

Oh my heck there's just so much to do

redred
08-16-2015, 08:22 PM
doesn't really sound fun , no drink and drugs , can we play nwa albums?

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:23 PM
doesn't really sound fun , no drink and drugs , can we play nwa albums?

:shock:

You're off the riot list [-(

redred
08-16-2015, 08:25 PM
:sad2:

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:28 PM
Tuck in that lip. If one can't be civilized, there's no place in a riot for you.

{White riot charter, paragraph 3, subsection 7}

redred
08-16-2015, 08:31 PM
dealt with :lol:

HyperV12
08-16-2015, 08:41 PM
I'll have an extra shot in my Latte and organic cider Red, that processed shit goes straight through me!

redred
08-16-2015, 08:43 PM
got this
http://i.imgur.com/hH4LoqZ.png

any good?

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 08:55 PM
he infracted me for punting him off the White Riot List

dick :rofl:

redred
08-16-2015, 08:57 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 09:07 PM
I wonder if we should have a little 50/50 draw at the riot, just for fun? :-k

HyperV12
08-16-2015, 09:09 PM
got this
http://i.imgur.com/hH4LoqZ.png

any good?

I drink this when cider is required,

http://img.tesco.com/Groceries/pi/554/5014201203554/IDShot_540x540.jpg

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 09:10 PM
that's white folk beverage if I ever saw it

redred
08-16-2015, 09:13 PM
looks ghey to me :lol: but hey least it ain't strongbow

Hal-9000
08-16-2015, 09:15 PM
This is going to be the best white riot ever :)

Now if I can get Lance to bring his accordion, we'll be set.

redred
08-16-2015, 09:24 PM
:lol: and a breakfast burrito for all

Goofy
08-16-2015, 09:41 PM

I was drinking Stella Cidre all day yesterday, went down easy :lol:

redred
08-16-2015, 09:46 PM
ghey :lol:

Goofy
08-16-2015, 09:52 PM
We don't drink that cloudy braincell killing stuff up here :lol: tbh there wasn't much choice at the place we were bowling, it was either cidre or tennents crap lager........ cidre being the lesser of the two evils :lol: Quite a few whiskies were sunk too!

perrhaps
08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Bunch of Opie-looking muthafuckers here.

KevinD
08-18-2015, 03:33 AM
Due to another thread, would it be alright if I brought my new flamethrower? I can also provide a couple rusty, muddy loud 4x4 trucks

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2015, 03:37 PM
South Carolina cops refuse to release dash cam video of police shooting to death an unarmed, white teenager; family claims police desecrated his body

State investigators have refused to release dash cam videos from the shooting death of an unarmed, white teenager in South Carolina as his family claims police desecrated the young man's body.

The State Law Enforcement Division denied a public records request by the The Post and Courier to disclose videos from Seneca Police Department patrol cars.

Zachary Hammond, 19, was shot twice inside his car at a Hardee's parking lot, where he was on a first date with a 23-year-old woman. HIs family's lawyers, in a letter to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and FBI Director James Comey, also claim Seneca police officers desecrated Hammond's body by lifting his dead hand and slapping it with a high-five gesture, WCSC-TV reported Friday.

Lt. Mark Tiller said he opened fire in "self-defense" when Hammond drove toward him during an undercover drug bust. Tiller has been placed on administrative leave pending dual investigations by state and federal agents of the July 26 killing.

The video denial comes as the Hammond family's attorneys say a witness saw police pulling something from a patrol car trunk and placing it under the teen's body.

Earlier this week, the Justice Department announced it would run a "parallel" inquiry to determine whether Hammond's civil rights were violated.

His parents, Angie and Paul Hammond, have pleaded for the release of police videos so they can see how their son died.

A small amount of marijuana was allegedly found in the possession of Hammond's date.

How are they even allowed to deny this request. :wtf:

Hal-9000
08-18-2015, 04:17 PM
this is the line that gets me...

...say a witness saw police pulling something from a patrol car trunk and placing it under the teen's body...

redred
08-18-2015, 05:41 PM
maybe it was a pillow ?

Hal-9000
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM
or a gun with the serial number filed off?

HyperV12
08-18-2015, 06:08 PM

:lol: tastes pretty good in actual fact and is 6.0% proof. It's a still cider.

HyperV12
08-18-2015, 06:12 PM
maybe it was a pillow ?

or a gun with the serial number filed off?

Nah, a ticket for loitering!

Hal-9000
08-18-2015, 06:20 PM

you bad Hyper

HyperV12
08-18-2015, 06:27 PM
Quotas must be met! [-(

Hal-9000
08-18-2015, 06:30 PM
loitering, no seatbelt and I think he's carrying something...full body cavity search! :x

HyperV12
08-18-2015, 07:05 PM
loitering, no seatbelt and I think he's carrying something...full body cavity search! :x

You failed the police entrance exam didn't you? :lol:

Hal-9000
08-18-2015, 08:04 PM
They got mad because I always shot the hostage in crisis training scenarios :lol: