PDA

View Full Version : Steelers player defends sending back sons' participation trophies

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2015, 11:21 AM
WAVE 3 News

http://i.imgur.com/4qWoyMZ.jpg

PITTSBURGH (WTAE/CNN) - The father of two boys who got participation trophies says he sent the trophies back. That man is a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who says everything in life should be earned.

Steelers linebacker James Harrison took to social media, saying he sent his kids' participation trophies back.

He stated, "I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned, and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best, because sometimes your best is not enough and that should drive you to want to do better - not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut you up and keep you happy."

"I think he's wrong because the Pittsburgh Steelers, they have the practice squad, and when they won the Super Bowl, people who never suited up, they got rings," parent Jean Wylie said.

On playgrounds and in parks around the area, parents talked about Harrison's parenting skills, some saying participation trophies help boost kids' self-esteem.

"I don't think it's a good way to do it. You know, the kids, they're going to try too hard," Earon Henderson said. "He wants them to live up to his expectations, and I don't think that's the right way to go about it, even though I love James Harrison."

Others disagree, saying Harrison is right about every child getting a trophy.

"Kids need to learn how to win and lose, but at the same time, it's like not making kids appreciate what they achieve," Darryl Housholder said. "That's the parent's job to let the kids know they're doing a good job by trying."

Others are somewhere in between.

"It shows that not every person is entitled to just one thing, like 'Thanks for coming. Here's your trophy,' but me personally, I don't think I would be sending it back," Jody Chifulini-Przybylek said.

http://i.imgur.com/ceC3DJM.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2015, 11:39 AM
:clap:

redred
08-17-2015, 11:54 AM
:tup:

Goofy
08-17-2015, 12:19 PM
:bow: This is how you raise winners :thumbsup:

HyperV12
08-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Well done that man! :agreed:

Hal-9000
08-17-2015, 04:36 PM
One person has got a point. The 4th string bench warmers on the Steelers who never touched the field once all year, all got Superbowl rings and accolades. Talk about participation awards..

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2015, 04:43 PM
One person has got a point. The 4th string bench warmers on the Steelers who never touched the field once all year, all got Superbowl rings and accolades. Talk about participation awards..

I looked it up, the NFL pays for the Superbowl rings and they give each team 150 rings. It is up to the team who gets the rings. If they would rather give the rings out to corporate sponsors over the practice squad players, that's up to the individual team. However, the practice squad players, whether they ever actually make it to the active roster or not, do help simulate upcoming opponents during the practice week before a game, so they do actually do more than just hang out and collect a paycheck. Some practice squad members have actually gone on to have good NFL careers, like James Harrison from the OP.

Hal-9000
08-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Would burn my ass if I was a 19th stringer and some corporate sponsor got my ring :lol:

RBP
08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Wrong analogy. They were members of the winning team. The correct analogy would be giving rings to the team that LOST the Superbowl.

Hal-9000
08-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Wrong analogy. They were members of the winning team. The correct analogy would be giving rings to the team that LOST the Superbowl.

Wrong :hand:

Detroit will never get Superbowl rings so your analogy won't work.

My opinion is similar to the father in this story by the way.

HyperV12
08-17-2015, 06:30 PM
Wrong :hand:

Detroit will never get Superbowl rings so your analogy won't work.

My opinion is similar to the father in this story by the way.

Saucer of milk for Hal over here!

Hugh_Janus
08-17-2015, 06:45 PM
Would burn my ass if I was a 19th stringer and some corporate sponsor got my ring :lol:

wait.... what?

Goofy
08-17-2015, 10:28 PM
wait.... what?

Probably something ghey