PDA

View Full Version : Offensive message found on restaurant receipt

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2015, 11:02 AM
Noel Brennan, KUSA

http://i.imgur.com/16olmev.jpg

DENVER – A Mexican restaurant is defending its image after a customer received a racially offensive message on her receipt.

"I grabbed the check and I'm looking at it, and that's the first thing that caught my eye, and I was like 'whoa!'" Beatriz Castorena said.

Castorena and her husband dined at El Valle Mexican Restaurant Friday night on West 38th Avenue. As she looked over her receipt, she noticed below her order of carne asada, were the words, "you f****** Mexicans."

The couple flagged down their waitress to show her what was written on their receipt.

"She grabbed it and she seen it and she was like, 'oh how funny,'" Castorena recalled. "I was like, 'that's not funny. That's not funny at all."

The couple paid their bill and left the restaurant. Castorena's family later posted a picture of the receipt to Facebook. It was shared several times on the Facebook page of El Valle Mexican Restaurant.

On Saturday, Castorena said she returned to the restaurant for an explanation and an apology.

"I was a little bit offended as well," said El Valle manager and co-owner Oscar Rivera.

Rivera told 9NEWS the offensive note should never have made it to the customer's table. Rivera said a waitress wrote the message, intending it to be a joke for the cooks.

"In the restaurant, you know, cooks and waiters always give each other smack and talk stuff," Rivera said.

Rivera said another waitress grabbed the receipt from the kitchen and brought it to Castorena's table after they asked for the check.

"All our clients are Mexican," Rivera said. "We're Mexican, so it's absurd that they believe people actually feel that way, but I understand why."

Rivera said he and his staff apologized to Castorena for what happened and refunded her meal.

Castorena said she'll have to give it some time before she returns to the restaurant. The words printed on her receipt still sting.

"It should never have been written on a receipt," she said.

RBP
08-24-2015, 11:36 AM
The new patron saint of America is Our Lady of the Perpetually Offended.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2015, 03:38 PM
:rofl:

Hal-9000
08-24-2015, 04:03 PM
I agree with the patrons....we've become too desensitized to public profanity and insults

If that appeared on a bill in the 80's (complete with the word 'fucking') it would be a court case

deebakes
08-24-2015, 11:32 PM
:uwank: