PDA

View Full Version : Group of black women kicked off Napa wine train after laughing too loud

RBP
08-25-2015, 11:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/u30tECZ.jpg?1

The Napa Valley Wine Train is apologizing to a group of black women who were kicked off the train Saturday for reportedly laughing too loudly.

The women said their treatment was provoked by racial bias.

“It wasn’t an issue of bias,” train spokesman Sam Singer said. “It was an issue of noise.”

Wine train officials said they created noise policies long before this incident to ensure the “safety and enjoyment of all guests.”

Similar incidents occur once a month, Singer said.

But the members of the Sistahs on the Reading Edge Book Club say they were targeted because they were laughing while black.

Sparking anger on social media with many saying they are boycotting the wine train, the women’s ordeal set off the hashtag #laughingwhileblack.

Interested in the stories shaping California? Sign up for the free Essential California newsletter >>

It all started Saturday morning when the 11 book club members from the town of Antioch, Calif., boarded a car on the Napa Valley Wine Train. One of the members, Lisa Renee Johnson, shared a video on Facebook, describing her excitement over the tour.

“We made it, y’all. Look at us, we are getting ready to get on the wine train,” she said in the video.

As Johnson chronicled the trip through photographs and videos, the women appeared to be enjoying their experience as they sipped wine and ate appetizers.

Then two hours into the train, their girls’ trip quickly turned sour.

The women were told they had to get off the train because they were too loud, Johnson said. One woman, she said, told her, “This is not a bar.”

The women’s laughter drew complaints from passengers aboard the train, so workers asked them three times to reduce their noise to an acceptable level, according to wine train officials.

At 1 p.m., they were asked to leave and were given a bus ride back to the train station. The trip was refunded.

But soon after the ordeal, the wine train posted a statement, which has since been deleted, on Facebook saying, “Following verbal and physical abuse toward other guests and staff, it was necessary to get our police involved. Many groups come on board and celebrate. When those celebrations impact our guests, we do intervene.”

See the most-read stories this hour >>

But Johnson said their experience on the wine train was embarrassing.

“They gave us a full refund...but that's not enough,” she said. “We are totally humiliated.”

The group, she said, was paraded through six cars “on display in front of the other guests to waiting police like we were criminals.”

"Then they made a written public statement on social media that we verbally and physically abused other guest and staff...one word. Unacceptable,” Johnson said. “This can never happen to anyone else ever again.”

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
:wah:

RBP
08-25-2015, 05:08 PM
My Junior year in college, I transferred and was in dorm for a while with almost all freshmen. There was an out of control black kid, the RA was frustrated and asked me to talk to him. I explained the problem and he said "you're just saying this because I'm black" I said "no, I'm saying this because you're an asshole"

That was 1987. Nothing has changed.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2015, 05:17 PM
Was a movie playing?

Hal-9000
08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
I worked with a guy from Africa, similar thing. The guy sat at a desk all day long and talked on the phone. He had something like three girls on the go, children with all of them. None of his calls were work related and he rarely picked orders (main thrust of his job). We were having troubles keeping employees so I was elected to speak to him as I got along with mostly everyone. Idea was to politely let him know that he to do a certain amount of work, or he would be disciplined.

I was joking, being polite, telling him to fake it for the most part and he suddenly gets this cold look on his face - You're discriminating against me...it's cause I'm black...I've been through this before.

I tried to continue, he just walked away from me. So as I was giving him the least amount of shit possible and every chance in the world to get by doing the minimum, I went to my asshole of a supervisor at the time and said - Your turn.

He talked to the guy for about 3 minutes, the guy threw shit around and walked out :lol: Supervisor said the guy claimed the racial thing again and the super said to him - It's not because of the color of your skin, it's because you pick less orders than the janitors that come in at night to clean! :lol: You are LAZY!

PorkChopSandwiches
08-25-2015, 05:29 PM
:racist:

Hal-9000
08-25-2015, 05:32 PM
ya I worked side by side with all flavors and colors for over 20 years, ate lunch and worked overtime together...often putting up with their racial biases and curbing my own.

so when someone calls me racist my redneck gets redder and it's full on Archie Bunker time! :x

DemonGeminiX
08-25-2015, 06:00 PM
The ladies were told 3 times to keep it down and 3 times, they didn't. If I'm a business owner and I set an expected standard of behavior, job performance, or whatever... and my customers/employees aren't meeting those expectations, then it's time for them to go. They can go somewhere else. When those ladies have their own business, then they can do whatever the hell they want.

Hal-9000
08-25-2015, 06:17 PM
It's like that story I was telling RBP from the show Survivor. Steve Wright (ex NFL receiver) was called a racist by a black guy, because Steve said, " Phillip, you're crazy. " This Phillip guy was an absolute lunatic and all of sudden he starts throwing around the N-word claiming, "Every time a black man tries to assert himself you have to call him a n- - - - - - and put him down."

Wright says to the host of the show - I played on a team in LA where over 80% of the roster were black. We didn't do the racial thing playing in the NFL.

Same as these girls above. They act a certain way and instead of owning their behavior, they turn it into a black discrimination thing.

RBP
08-25-2015, 07:03 PM
They act a certain way and instead of owning their behavior, they turn it into a black discrimination thing.

In a nutshell.

deebakes
08-26-2015, 12:36 AM
:facepalm:

Griffin
08-26-2015, 01:52 AM
#blacklaughsmatter

perrhaps
08-26-2015, 09:16 AM
Why didn't the Wine Train just put them in their own car at the back of the train?

RBP
08-26-2015, 11:13 AM
:lol: