PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ford may resurrect Ranger pickup truck in U.S.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Alisa Priddle, Detroit Free Press

http://i.imgur.com/4OvX4Dn.jpg
The global version of the Ford Ranger pickup truck, seen here, will be built in Nigeria starting
in the fourth quarter of 2015.

Ford is considering reentering the small pickup truck segment by bringing the the Ranger back to the U.S., according to a Detroit News report.

Ford is weighing building the Ranger later this decade at the Michigan Assembly Plant near Detroit, the newspaper suggested.

The automaker declined to comment on the report.

But the company has been left without an offering in the small pickup category as gasoline prices have contracted. General Motors in 2014 introduced new mid-size pickup trucks, the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, while Toyota recently overhauled the Tacoma.

Ford discontinued the Ranger in 2011, throwing all its weight in the pickup segment behind the larger F-series lineup, which remains the most popular vehicle in the U.S.

If Ford brings the Ranger to the Michigan Assembly Plant, it would at least partially replace production of the Focus compact car, Focus electric car, C-Max hybrid and C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid, which are likely moving to Mexico plants.

The company has insisted it won't close the Wayne, Mich., plant, which employs about 4,500 workers, and that it will build future, unidentified products there.

That makes the plant's future a key issue during current contract negotiations with the UAW. Current hourly worker agreements are set to expire Sept. 14.

"We actively are pursuing future vehicle alternatives to produce at Michigan Assembly and will discuss this issue with UAW leadership as part of the upcoming negotiations," Ford spokeswoman Kristina Adamski said in a statement.

UAW spokesman Brian Rothenberg said he was not aware of talks involving the Ranger being produced at the Michigan Assembly plant.

The expectation is Ford will choose to make larger or more expensive vehicles in Michigan with a higher profit margin while shifting production of lower-margin small cars further south where labor costs are lower.

Making the Ranger in the U.S. would address another long-standing criticism of Ford by those who have called for its return ever since the last Ranger rolled off the line at the Twin Cities, plant in St. Paul, Minn., in December 2011. The Ranger is a strong seller in the rest of the world. To meet strong global demand, Ford builds the Ranger in Thailand, Argentina, South Africa and recently announced plans to add a satellite African plant in Nigeria in the fourth quarter.

Ford has for years flatly denied it has any interest in selling the Ranger in the U.S. again, saying it was low volume and customers are better served by the larger F-150 full-size pickup. Ford chose to make the F-150 more fuel efficient with an aluminum body and smaller engines, rather than continue to offer the smaller Ranger in the U.S.

But the small pickup segment has seen a resurgence with GM's decision to enter the market again and Toyota's new Tacoma. The Nissan Frontier also competes in the segment.

Even if the Ranger were to come back to the North American market, the anticipated low volumes likely would only use a fraction of the capacity available at the Michigan Assembly Plant.

Ford's global platform strategy is designed to make it easy to build multiple different but related vehicles in a single plant, but they tend to be cars and car-based crossovers. The Ranger is on a distinct truck platform.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
I was a loyal Ranger customer up until they decided to discontinue making them here in the US. My previous two vehicles were both Rangers and I would have bought another one when I bought my current truck because I loved them, but the year I bought my Tacoma was the year that Ford discontinued the Ranger and I didn't want to buy a vehicle that was phased out. Now that I've switched to Toyota, I doubt I would ever go back to buying a Ranger again, even if the do resurrect them here in the US.

Pony
08-26-2015, 04:29 PM
Now that I've switched to Toyota, I doubt I would ever go back to buying a Ranger again, even if the do resurrect them here in the US.

It is difficult to go back to ANY of the big 3 after owning a Toyota.

Hugh_Janus
08-26-2015, 06:13 PM
the new ranger is a pretty nice place to be and it's nice to drive. Nicer than the toyota equivelent IMO.... but it is shit

PorkChopSandwiches
08-26-2015, 07:51 PM
We got the F150, they make Toyotas feel like toys in comparison

Griffin
08-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Here's my 2015 F150 with my camper in the bed.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/johng52/camp%20002_zpsknrwnkpu.jpg

I can see where FORD is missing a market share with the Ranger but it wouldn't suit my needs.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2015, 12:24 AM
We tried that one and ended up with the 14, the aluminum body was to light but with the camper I'm sure it would be great

Griffin
08-27-2015, 12:32 AM
About 1800 lb's sitting in it with just torklift stable loads on the springs and it just squatted 2"...still level.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2015, 03:51 PM
:tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-27-2015, 06:47 PM

Not everyone needs or wants a full sized pick-up.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Agreed, Im just saying the feel of the two are WAY different.

Hugh_Janus
08-27-2015, 09:00 PM

in size maybe, but certainly not in terms of build quality...

Goofy
08-27-2015, 09:06 PM
I hate working on Jap cars, they use 59874354875934573574957497235 plastic clips when one bolt would have done the job :rant: Fords are far easier to work on from a bodyshop perspective........... although the metal on both is pissy thin shite anyway :rant: I fucking hate cars.......... why did i choose this profession? :lol: Oh, i remember, i used to like them :thumbsup:

Hugh_Janus
08-27-2015, 09:35 PM
I hate working on Jap cars, they use 59874354875934573574957497235 plastic clips when one bolt would have done the job :rant: Fords are far easier to work on from a bodyshop perspective........... although the metal on both is pissy thin shite anyway :rant: I fucking hate cars.......... why did i choose this profession? :lol: Oh, i remember, i used to like them :thumbsup:

fucking toyotas, man.... at least 10 expanding plastic rivets holding an undertray on, take them off, undertray won't come off "WTF?" spot 4 bolts that may be holding it on, take those fuckers off and it still won't come off "are you fucking kidding me.." I'm thinking there can't be anything else holding this thing on, but it turns out that this undertray is a fucking mile long ans I can only see 2 foot of it.... there are 3 more bolts holding the twat on

still better than any french car though :tup: