PDA

View Full Version : For those with Facebook, and use chat

Softdreamer
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
The new roll out of facebook chat is here.

Seems interesting until you realise EVERY single chat conversation you have is saved. In your inbox of all places.
But if you want to keep you chat secret you can clear chat window! except it still stays in your inbox?!?

Dont panic though, because you can go into your messages and click on the x on the right to get rid of them..

Except that doesnt delete them, because they go into your archive (bottom of the page) and in Archive there is no option to delete them either!
You have to click on each and every conversation and then delete the posts:hand:

I wonder, If I am having a private conversation, why should I have to delete it 3 times just to keep it private. and even then Id put money on Facebook storing it online somewhere still [-(

FACEBOOK, invasion of privacy taken to the extreme.

Ive just done a complete search of facebook settings, there is no option to disable this feature anywhere.
I am boycotting facebook chat/messaging service until they patch this.

[/RANT]

beowulf
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
never used facebook chat since you cant 'block' people or 'hide' as on msn/yahoo.............if i want to chat to someone online id use one of them anyway since they are far better

Muddy
06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Facebook is trying to become skynet...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:39 PM
What's a Facebook? :confused:

Muddy
06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
What's a Facebook? :confused:

A stalkers paradise..

beowulf
06-06-2011, 12:41 PM
luddites!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
luddites!

Might as well just sign up at the CIA or FBI website :hand:

Actually, the CIA and FBI probably know less about people than Facebook does :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:44 PM
A stalkers paradise..

Exactamundo

beowulf
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Might as well just sign up at the CIA or FBI website :hand:

Actually, the CIA and FBI probably know less about people than Facebook does :-k

lol...its very easy to find out all sorts of things about people without facebook.............btw...........you havnt updated your photoalbum for quite a while ;)

http://i52.tinypic.com/24qtjx5.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:59 PM
It's because I use the same screen name for every site and the difference is, all those sites aren't harvesting information about me every time I login there ;)

But someone else uses 'thelancinator' too because some places I can't use my normal screen name ads a login when I sign up :x

beowulf
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
my point is i didnt even go looking for that..........i found it totally by accident years ago :lol:

ive found out all sorts of things about people before now ,.........its not hard............if i had hacking skillz it would be even easier :lol:

AntZ
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
What I laugh at is that people at AS. always tried so hard to conceal their identities. Then AS. started a Facebook page and about a dozen regular users made friends with it. You click on them and many of their friends are also AS. regulars, many of whom also used the same AV right next to their real name and other personal information. :lol:

In the matter of 15min. I saw the names of many of the frequent AS. users.

Tank
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
8-[
never used facebook chat since you cant 'block' people or 'hide' as on msn/yahoo.............if i want to chat to someone online id use one of them anyway since they are far better

thats the same reason i dont use fb chat. i have a few mates that insist everyfuggin time i'm on to start chatting about nothing relevant, i get a message every now and then saying "you havent been on chat for ages how are you?" i have to resist the urge to reply . . . . i have been online, almost every day, its just you piss me off with your incessant jibber jabber so much that its easier to stay ‘offline’.

i could remove them as friends . . . . . but i like to perv on their hot girlfriends holiday pics 8-[ :oops:

anyone i really have to interact with privately either has my number or personal email.

Softdreamer
06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Badly disguising a true identity is one thing, but blatantly recording all communication is another.

If somebody gains access to your account, they now know everything you have ever said whilst on there, even that which you were certain was private and hidden from public view.

Im sure this is breaking privacy laws, regardless of what Facebook has in the EUA and T&C. How would you feel if you found out BT or AT&T (or whichever) were recording all calls for archiving....

and imagine how dangerous some of that information could be to some relationships. We've all said things about people before, now it turns out those things can be accessed, and if recent news stories have told us anything, its that that access is not yours alone.

Softdreamer
06-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Actually, you can do this, you can set groups of friends into different categories, (work/family) and go offline in some and online in others

Tank
06-06-2011, 01:57 PM
We've all said things about people before, now it turns out those things can be accessed

thats why i make a point of letting the person i'm insulting know it's aimed at them. stops all the backstabbing and 'he said this and that about you' gheyness. if someone cant take me speaking my mind about them then they can consider themselves 'unfriended'

Actually, you can do this, you can set groups of friends into different categories, (work/family) and go offline in some and online in others

but that involves setting up said groups/categories, i'm not sure i can be bothered with that! its just easier to stay offline

Softdreamer
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
well, recently I was talking to my brother about my sister in law being morbidly obese... which she is, I thought that conversations was private. Today I saw it in my inbox, in plain view..
Im not normally one to backstab or bitch.. but very personal information has been exchanged on that chat in the past. A good close friend recently admitted he had an affair to me via the chat.
If his wife knows his password, the shits gonna hit.

A serious breech of trust Zuckerburg

Tank
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
well, recently I was talking to my brother about my sister in law being morbidly obese... which she is, I thought that conversations was private. Today I saw it in my inbox, in plain view..
Im not normally one to backstab or bitch.. but very personal information has been exchanged on that chat in the past. A good close friend recently admitted he had an affair to me via the chat.

i get what you mean man

deebakes
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
nuts :shock:

Southern Belle
06-10-2011, 01:41 AM
I don't use it. Keep my status as offline so people won't try to chat with me.
If I want to chat I use googletalk.

Hal-9000
06-10-2011, 01:47 AM

I have an older coworker who got on to facebook this year.He's new to pc's and he tried googling his name one night on a suggestion from a neighbor.He said that the first hit on google showed something like a logged response he had made on facebook and then took him to his facebook profile.He said he absolutely did not like this and I feel for him as he really doesn't understand how the net works in general.

It's not the same issue as this invasive chat feature, yet it demonstrates how deep facebook communications are embedded on the general internet airwaves.

Pony
06-10-2011, 10:52 AM
lol...its very easy to find out all sorts of things about people without facebook.............btw...........you havnt updated your photoalbum for quite a while ;)

Slightly off topic but I was reading how many GPS capable cell phones are embedding personal info in the EXIF data of the picture. Amazing how much info you can leak just by posting a picture online.

Goofy
06-10-2011, 12:46 PM
8-[

thats the same reason i dont use fb chat. i have a few mates that insist everyfuggin time i'm on to start chatting about nothing relevant, i get a message every now and then saying "you havent been on chat for ages how are you?" i have to resist the urge to reply . . . . i have been online, almost every day, its just you piss me off with your incessant jibber jabber so much that its easier to stay ‘offline’.

Precisely the reason i dont use facebook, msn, myspace etc - people want to talk to me they can phone me or pm me here :tup: