PDA

View Full Version : Researchers say they've discovered new 'superhenge' near Stonehenge site

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/3jwna36.jpg

British researchers said Monday that they had discovered evidence of a larger version of Stonehenge located approximately 2 miles from the famous prehistoric site.

The site at Durrington Walls, located about 90 miles southwest of London, has been dubbed a "superhenge" containing as many as 90 large stones.

The researchers from the University of Bradford said they believed the monument was built about 4,500 years ago, according to Sky News. The stones were located using ground-penetrating radar on Salisbury Plain. They were found lying on their sides and buried under three feet of earth.

Some of the stones stood nearly 15 feet high and were originally placed along the south-eastern edge of a circular enclosure facing the Avon River that measured nearly a mile wide - making it the largest earthwork of its kind in Britain.

"We're looking at one of the largest stone monuments in Europe and it has been under our noses for something like 4,000 years," University of Bradford professor Vince Gaffney, who led the research, told Sky News. "We don't think there's anything quite like this anywhere else in the world. This is completely new and the scale is extraordinary."

Gaffney told the Guardian that he believes the site was used as a "ritual arena of some sort."

The researchers were working on the so-called Hidden Landscape project, which is aimed at improving understanding of the area around Stonehenge. The Guardian reports that last year, researchers found the 17 chapels and other archaeological features at the site.

Goofy
09-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Boring!! Who cares about buried stones [-(

Hugh_Janus
09-08-2015, 06:15 PM
stonehenge isn't a henge :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
09-08-2015, 07:34 PM
:-s

If it's not a henge, then what is it? And why are people calling it Stonehenge if it's not a henge?

HyperV12
09-09-2015, 07:57 AM
A henge has a ditch inside surrounded by an earthwork bank outside Stonehenge is the other way round and so technically is not a 'true' henge.

Jezter
09-09-2015, 08:49 AM

A henge has a ditch inside surrounded by an earthwork bank outside Stonehenge is the other way round and so technically is not a 'true' henge.

Y'all been watching QI...

But it is exciting we are still finding new, weird, stuff!

HyperV12
09-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Y'all been watching QI...

But it is exciting we are still finding new, weird, stuff!

One of my favourite programs! :bananadance:

redred
09-09-2015, 09:21 AM

are you still pissed off we nicked all that stone from you lot :lol:

Noilly Pratt
09-09-2015, 09:42 PM
"Druid Stone Thingie" didn't sound right on the brochures...so they named it something else.

Anybody ever see Woodhenge that's nearby? Again, not a henge, and not made of wood. #BritsAreFalseAdvertisers

DemonGeminiX
09-10-2015, 01:46 AM
[-(

If it's not a henge, then y'all need to come up with a name for it and quit calling it something that it's not.

redred
09-10-2015, 06:01 AM
But we do it to confuse all you lot who come over and see it

HyperV12
09-10-2015, 06:28 AM
[-(

If it's not a henge, then y'all need to come up with a name for it and quit calling it something that it's not.

I vote for Noillys "Druid Stone Thingie"

Noilly Pratt
09-10-2015, 04:16 PM
:shock: Noilly ≠ Porky :cheerlead:

HyperV12
09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
:shock: Noilly ≠ Porky :cheerlead:

My apologies Noilly, brain fart. :suicide:

Hugh_Janus
09-10-2015, 06:53 PM
are you still pissed off we nicked all that stone from you lot :lol:

not really... I'm impressed they managed to get them there, tbh :lol:

redred
09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
i agree , but then slaves will do anything for you if you beat them enough :lol: