PDA

View Full Version : 54 shot, 8 fatally, over Labor Day Weekend in Chicago

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2015, 11:41 AM
By Peter Nickeas - Chicago Tribune

http://i.imgur.com/3xchfMU.jpg

Shootings over the long holiday weekend left 8 dead and another 46 wounded across the city.

Another person was stabbed to death Monday morning, bringing the weekend's homicide total to nine.

Nineteen of those shot were wounded between Friday afternoon and early Saturday morning, the most violent stretch of the weekend. Three people were shot to death and another nine wounded Saturday night and Sunday morning. Shootings from Sunday afternoon into Monday morning left six people wounded. Between late Monday morning and early Tuesday, another 17 people shot (two fatally) and a man was stabbed to death.

The shootings happened in all parts of the city but were primarily on the city's South and West sides. The northernmost shooting happened on Howard Avenue in Rogers Park, blocks from Evanston. The southernmost happened in the Golden Gate neighborhood, blocks from Riverdale.

The city totaled nine multiple-victim shootings: one in which four people were wounded, four that left three people were wounded, and four that left two people wounded.

The most recent shooting left a man dead in the Kilbourn Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side about 3:05 a.m. The 31-year-old man shot there was pronounced dead at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.

A handful of those shot over the weekend - including all four people wounded in a shooting in Englewood 10 minutes before the most recent homicide - were listed in serious-to-critical condition at area hospitals.

Monday night, a 23-year-old man was pronounced dead after being shot in the West Garfield Park neighborhood at 7:47 p.m., police said. The man was shot in the chest and taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

Earlier, Derrick Simpson, 56, was stabbed to death late Monday morning near his home in the 800 block of East 81st Street after an altercation turned physical, police said. Simpson was stabbed in the chest at about 11:34 a.m. during the fight, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center and was pronounced dead there at 12:16 p.m., authorities said.

On Sunday, 20-year-old Reba Wagner, whose home address was not available, was shot dead at about 7:45 a.m. Sunday in the 7200 block of South Green Street in the South Side’s Englewood neighborhood, authorities said. She suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead on the scene, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Lavell Southern, a 23-year-old from Calumet Heights, was fatally shot at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday near Randolph Street and Racine Avenue on the Near West Side, authorities said.

Southern played football through his four years at Mount Carmel High School on the South Side and played defensive back for Carthage College in Kenosha, Wis. A knee injury ended his college football career, according to an aunt, Beverly Green. He was working a summer job downtown and was planning on heading back to school to finish his degree, Green said.

“He’s been home about three years,” Green said. “To know him was to love him. He had no enemies.” Southern was sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital. Another 23-year-old with him was shot in the shoulder, police said.

Twenty-year-old Shaquandra Ratliff, who family said has a 2-year-old son, was fatally shot at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday in the 6100 block of South Cottage Grove Avenue in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

A fight erupted during an outdoor party commemorating the one-year anniversary of the death of a gang member, police said. Ratliff, who police said had no gang affiliation, was in an alley and was struck in the head. She was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and pronounced dead there.

Family remembered her Monday as an outgoing and trusting woman who was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

“She was my best friend,” said her 17-year-old sister, Shakia Herron. “I feel like I lost a part of me. I’m very angry. I want to know who took my big sister away from me.”

Ratliff’s mother and sister were not pleased with the crowd she was hanging out with at the time of her shooting.

“She loved them, but they didn’t love her back,” said her mother, Claudia Ratliff.

“She was with people that were supposed to be her friends,” her sister said, adding that “all of them knew everything that happened and somebody saw something,” but no one was telling police.

The scene turned hectic after Ratliff’s shooting early Sunday. At one point, about 20 mostly young men moved north on Cottage Grove while fighting as police tried to disperse the group.

Leonard J. Williams-Tate, a 31-year-old North Austin resident, was fatally shot about 11:20 p.m. Friday in the 1600 block of North Mayfield Avenue, police said. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital after getting shot in the side and was later pronounced dead, according to authorities.

Jamaal Barney, 22, was fatally shot about 11:40 p.m. Friday in the 1800 block of South Drake Avenue, also in Lawndale, police said. Someone in a gold SUV fired shots at him, police said. Barney, of the 1600 block of South Central Park Avenue in Lawndale, was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai at 12:19 a.m., according to the medical examiner’s office.

Also in Lawndale Friday night, a 35-year-old man was fatally shot in the abdoment about 8:20 p.m. in the 1100 block of South Richmond Street, police said. Someone drove him to Mount Sinai, where he was later pronounced dead, authorities said. The man’s identity is being withheld pending next of kin notification.

RBP
09-08-2015, 11:45 AM
3 day weekend and hot. yup. :dunno:

Goofy
09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
That's gotta be a new record! :woot:

HyperV12
09-08-2015, 12:54 PM
1 to 6.75 kill ratio, someone needs to hit the range.

Loser
09-08-2015, 01:20 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/pl4U4EidyTs/hqdefault.jpg

Pretty much sums it up.

Loser
09-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Oh...I'll add, That's a cover from a rap group.

And here they are... :lol:

http://images.rapgenius.com/6aa2ef9929dafceb9c1595a50f001183.600x600x1.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
09-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Didn't take you as a rap fan

perrhaps
09-09-2015, 09:39 AM
What flag gets the blame for this?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2015, 12:10 PM
ISIS?