PDA

View Full Version : Palin sticks to her guns after US history flub

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Agence France Presse

http://i.imgur.com/wZE4o.jpg

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Potential presidential candidate Sarah Palin stood by her skewed version of US history Sunday, insisting patriot Paul Revere warned British soldiers along with Americans ahead of key revolutionary battles.

Palin had put her foot in it this past week when, during a tour of Boston where Revere lived in the 18th century American colonies, she offered a history lesson that didn't quite match with the history books.

Revere, she had said, "warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be secure and we were going to be free."

Revere, a silversmith who helped set up an elaborate signaling system, was celebrated for his "midnight ride" in which he alerted Americans to an impending British attack -- "The British are coming!" is the cultural catchphrase attributed to him.

It is not commonly believed, as Palin asserts, that he was warning the British that they couldn't seize US weapons.

A television clip of the former Alaska governor uttering her version of Revere's 1775 ride -- in Revere country, no less -- went viral on the Internet.

Critics pounced on the error as an example of Palin's occasionally unartful off-the-cuff speaking and evidence of what they see as her weak grasp of history.

But when a reporter on Sunday pointed out her gaffe, Palin stuck to her guns.

"I know my American history," she told Fox News Sunday.

"Part of Paul Revere's ride... was to warn the British that were already there, that 'Hey, you are not going to succeed. You're not going to take American arms. You are not going to beat our own well-armed persons, individual private militia that we have.'"

Palin, who was John McCain's 2008 White House running mate, insisted that she had been the victim of a "shout-out gotcha question" by a reporter, when in fact she had actually visited the Paul Revere House, Bunker Hill and other Revolutionary War era landmarks in Massachusetts on the same day, as part of her "One Nation" bus tour to several US landmarks.

When asked bluntly if her bus tour was a testing of the waters for a 2012 White House bid, she said no. "I'm publicizing Americana and our foundation," she said.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
And Benedict Arnold wasn't a traitor to the Colonials and George Washington really wasn't the first President of the United States either :-k

:rolleyes:

Arkady Renko
06-06-2011, 12:53 PM
the worst bit is that she probably believes she's right...

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh she does, she was on the news yesterday defending her statements :|

Muddy
06-06-2011, 01:33 PM
The Russians are coming!!

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
When a lot of these politicians open their mouths, it reminds of that old saying (paraphrasing as I don't know if it's completely accurate word for word): It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Michelle Bachman did the same thing a few weeks ago claiming that the Battle of Lexington and Concord took place in New Hampshire. Then blamed the gaffe on a speech writer :roll:

Arkady Renko
06-06-2011, 01:45 PM
When a lot of these politicians open their mouths, it reminds of that old saying (paraphrasing as I don't know if it's completely accurate word for word): It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I've heard that one before, I think it's like a proverb from biblical or roman times. Those people wore weird clothes but they knew a lot of stuff....

DemonGeminiX
06-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Some people say that Abraham Lincoln first said the original quote. Others claim it was Mark Twain or even Samuel Johnson. But some others point to this:

Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Proverbs 17:28

PorkChopSandwiches
06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
If we're lucky she could be our next president

Teh One Who Knocks
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise:
and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

Proverbs 17:28

I looked up the quote I was thinking about and paraphrased above....it's attributed to everyone from Abraham Lincoln to Mark Twain. I'm sure it has its roots in the biblical one you just posted.

Teh One Who Knocks
If we're lucky she could be our next president

If the choice is between Obama and Palin, I'm moving to Canada.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
With all this bs political correctness I dont see how we can ever elect a true leader.

Hal-9000
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
"Part of Paul Revere's ride... was to warn the British that were already there..."

So he rode through the AMERICAN countryside to warn the BRITISH, that the AMERICANS were already here?

I think the Brits had a fair idea at the time :lol:

ffs and people wonder why I slam this woman for her idiocy...

Hal-9000
06-06-2011, 06:29 PM
it actually scares me to find out that people like her can reach such a high position of responsibility ...

Acid Trip
06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
it actually scares me to find out that people like her can reach such a high position of responsibility ...

Obama thinks there are 58 states and he managed to get himself elected. The liberal mainstream media is so quick to attack the Republican women and yet Obama/Biden gaffes go relatively uncovered.

"I've now been in 57 states — I think one left to go." — Barrack Obama at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon, May 9, 2008

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I really don't see thru left/right colored glasses when reading the news....this woman is an idiot and demonstrates it every time she opens her mouth :thumbsup:

I'm sure Antz has already posted about 37 threads with Obamer as the subject of ridicule :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Obama thinks there are 58 states and he managed to get himself elected. The liberal mainstream media is so quick to attack the Republican women and yet Obama/Biden gaffes go relatively uncovered.

"I've now been in 57 states — I think one left to go." — Barrack Obama at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon, May 9, 2008

Bernie Goldberg and Charles Krauthammer both ripped her on FOX News and last I looked, neither one is very liberal ;)

A fuck-up is a fuck-up....just sayin

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I met Palin and told her I was a Libertarian..

she replied - Were you born in August or September?

:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I met Palin and told her I was a Libertarian..

she replied - Were you born in August or September?

:dance:

:lol:

That made me laff :lol:

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
:lol: good...

I should stop, American politics are less interesting than watching paint dry (except for the Nixon years :thumbsup:)

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
:lol: good...

I should stop, American politics are less interesting than watching paint dry (except for the Nixon years :thumbsup:)

Try living here...it's nearly the only thing on the news 24/7 :|

AntZ
06-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm sure Antz has already posted about 37 threads with Obamer as the subject of ridicule :thumbsup:

I only post articles from the national papers and wires, not from any strictly conservative sites or blogs. That's a big difference from the Bush years at AS. where people posted attacks from anywhere and everywhere. If there is a major news story that the current Pres. is involved with, I'll post it.

Muddy
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I only post articles from the national papers and wires, not from any strictly conservative sites or blogs. That's a big difference from the Bush years at AS. where people posted attacks from anywhere and everywhere. If there is a major news story that the current Pres. is involved with, I'll post it.

Oh of course, your sources were never in question :thumbsup:
Just merely mentioning the fact to Acid Trip, that there is more that enough balance in terms of left ridicule in our news stories here.

e.g. 10 stories about Obama, no one lifts an eyebrow, one about Palin and......

AntZ
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
e.g. 10 stories about Obama, no one lifts an eyebrow, one about Palin and......

But there's a little difference, Obama is in charge! His policies good or bad affect almost every person on the planet, if there is a story about him or his policies failing, it's fair game. Palin is a private citizen, sure she is a public person and commentator, but the media is determined to bring to light ANYTHING that can be used for ridicule!

Now this is nothing new! The media has been playing this game for generations, Republicans are either blathering idiots, or just evil.

Nixon - smart but pure evil.

Ford - A blathering idiot that can't keep from falling down and hitting his head.

Reagan - A senile old man that has people controlling behind the scenes.

Bush 41 - Very smart and highly experienced, so?? He must be a wimp that can't stand up to the world. While propping up an absolute idiot named Dukakis. Bush wins, so the media needs to attack someone and make them stupid. So Dan Quale the VP becomes the target! He's too young to run the country and after the "potatoe" incident, the biggest blathering idiot to walk the earth.

Clinton - A savvy charming genius!

Dole '96 challenger - (War veteran, highly experienced and intelligent) so the media labels him as mean, dark, and nasty. Where Bubba is happy, fun-loving, and you can share a beer with.

Bush W. - Yale grad and a Harvard MBA. Incredibly stupid and unable to speak. Chaney the VP, dark and extremely evil!

Gore - Author, genius level! (Although when his school records were leaked, he failed at divinity school and his grades were all lower then Bush)

Kerry - Honored war veteran and again, genius level. (until his grades were leaked and kept quiet as well)

McCain - REAL war hero and highly experienced! So there's a problem! O.K. He's too old! And will die before end of term. Palin - Now that's where to attack. Mayor, nothing. Governor, brush aside! Incredibly stupid! Can't read, can't speak, and knows nothing!

Obama - Second coming! Genius level and beyond! Author, heals sick children with his mind. Will bring peace to all corners of the planet! Instant nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize! (made equal amount of gaffs that got very little airplay. Can't speak without a teleprompter, or will stammer endlessly. School records still hidden)

Biden - Highly experienced and foreign affairs expert. (An actual blathering idiot that can't keep for embarrassing himself or the country. But the media will still cover for him.

Notice the patten? So it looks like AT was more referring to the personal attacks and playing up of the gaffe more then anything else.

DemonGeminiX
06-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok, quit defending Sarah Palin. There is no helping it. She's a moron.

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
she ran for vice president and the first line of this article refers to her as potential presidential candidate...

she makes a comment to a reporter, she's fair game :thumbsup:
she's hardly 'not' a political celebrity

lost in melb.
06-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Well I like her. She's feisty 'n' sassy

Muddy
06-08-2011, 01:57 AM
She likes to be hammered baws deep...

Shady
06-08-2011, 03:10 AM
the worst bit is that she probably believes she's right...

No the worst part is her idiot followers have tried editing Wikipedia posts so that it aligns with her side of the story, now thats scary.

Arkady Renko
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
No the worst part is her idiot followers have tried editing Wikipedia posts so that it aligns with her side of the story, now thats scary.

reminds me of how they rolled in soviet russia.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM

Not that I'm defending her, because I thinks she's an idjit myself, but there are followers of idjits on both sides of the aisle that defend their 'heroes' ;)