PDA

View Full Version : Comedian's 'Dear Fat People' Video Causes Outrage, Goes Viral

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2015, 12:22 PM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/YHYOwNn.png

Comedian Nicole Arbour recently caused a firestorm with her "Dear Fat People" video (below), which mocked the concept of "fat shaming," a phrase often used by overweight people and their supporters against critics.

Arbour states in her video:

Fat shaming is not a thing. Fat people made that up. That's a race card with no race ... There's a race card. There's a disability card. There's even a gay card, because gay people are discriminated against, wrongfully so. The gay card is covered in glitter, it's fucking magical.

Are you gonna tell the doctor that they're being mean and fat shaming you when they say you have fucking heart disease.

I'm not talking about people who have a little cushion for the pushin'. And if there are people watching this with a specific health condition, this is not aimed at you.

I am talking about the 35 percent of North Americans who are obese. That means you are so fat that you are affecting your own health.

Arbour was accused of fat shaming, temporarily lost her YouTube and Google+ channels over the weekend (which were restored) and tweeted in response: "We literally broke the Internet… With comedy. #censorship"

Her video stayed on Facebook and got over 18 million views, notes USA TODAY.

Whitney Way Thore, the TV reality star of TLC's "My Big Fat Fabulous Life," posted a response video (below) in which she slammed Arbour, reports CNN.

Thore stated:

Fat shaming is a thing. It's a really big thing, no pun intended. It is the really nasty spawn of a larger parent problem called body shaming, which I'm fairly certain everyone on the planet, especially women, has experienced.

Thore also claimed that weight gain could be caused by a medical condition, depression, the loss of a loved ones and other life circumstances. Thore said that Arbour could not tell someone's medical condition by simply looking at them, but Arbour didn't make that claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFgNhyP4-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

Jezter
09-08-2015, 03:35 PM
"Comedian". Pft. :roll:

Hugh_Janus
09-08-2015, 06:07 PM
hahaha! LOL @ fatties

Teh One Who Knocks
09-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Entertainment Tonight

http://i.imgur.com/ZehqC89.jpg

Nicole Arbour has fired up quite a bit of controversy since the release of a video, which many have dubbed as "fat shaming." Now it appears the backlash has cost her a job.

In the six-minute diatribe, “Dear Fat People,” Arbour claims that fat-shaming is “not a thing,” suggesting people made it up. She even tries to humorously encourage obese people to lose weight, but not everyone saw her jokes as funny.

Director Pat Mills certainly didn't, and told Zap2it that he fired Arbour, who was hired to help with choreography for his anti-bullying dance film, "Don't Talk to Irene."

" a dance movie, so obviously we needed a choreographer. We met with a woman who not only did traditional dance choreography, but was a cheerleader as well. She was fun and nice and had a lot of energy," Mills told the website in a statement. "[Arbour told me she] had a YouTube channel and identified as a 'YouTuber.' She seemed like a perfect fit for the project. I shared the script with her. She said she dug it and was excited to come on board."

The director said after viewing "Dear Fat People," which has garnered over three million views, it "made me never want to see her again."

"'Dear Fat People' is an unfunny and cruel fat-shaming video that guises itself about being about 'health,'" Mills said. "It's fat-phobic and awful. It went on for over six minutes. I felt like I had been punched in the gut."

He added, "I'm gay. I was bullied a lot as a kid. I am no stranger to ridicule and loneliness."

While Mills claims it was his decision to fire Arbour from "Don't Talk to Irene," the comedian insists she never had anything to do with the project.

"I'm not currently, nor have I been attached to any feature films as of late," Arbour tweeted with the hashtag "#gossip."

[I]
I'm not currently, nor have I been attached to any feature films as of late. �� #gossip

— Nicole Arbour (@NicoleArbour) September 10, 2015

Meanwhile, the comedian's response to controversy surrounding her video seems to be "sorry not sorry."

"I feel it's really important that we make fun of everybody," she told Time. "I think [what] brings us together and unites us as people is that we can poke fun at all of us."

Arbour also implied that she's being criticized over the video because she is a woman. "The reason there's an issue is because I don't 'look' like a traditional comedian," she tweeted. "If I were a guy, people would have lol'd n moved on."