PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic woman sues Dunkin' Donuts over sugar in her coffee

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
By DANA DiFILIPPO, Philadelphia Daily News

In a world where people sue McDonald's for serving coffee too hot, a Philadelphia woman has sued a Dunkin' Donuts for serving coffee she says was too sweet - so sweet it sent her into a diabetic coma.

Danielle Jordan, 47, of Oxford Avenue near Langdon Street in Crescentville, filed a personal injury lawsuit against the Dunkin' Donuts on Frankford Avenue near Bridge Street and Northeast Donut Shops Management Corp.

Jordan is seeking unspecified damages after she claims she ordered coffee with artificial sweetener on June 15, 2009, but the server put sugar into the brew, according to the suit, which was first reported this morning by the Courthouse News Service.

After downing the drink, Jordan contends, she suffered light-headedness, dizziness, numbness of the extremities and a diabetic shock that resulted in an emergency trip to the hospital, court papers say. As a result, she had to increase her diabetic medication and "sustained a loss of life's enjoyment" due to Dunkin' Donuts' "defective product." Jordan and her attorney, Kenneth M. Rodgers, couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Leshia Evans, legal liaison who handles lawsuits for 34 Dunkin' Donuts in the Philadelphia region, said today she couldn't comment on the case.

But she noted "we encounter thousands and thousands of customers on a daily basis. We don't provide a customer with anything they don't request. If they request a medium coffee, they will get a medium coffee. If you fail to request a sugar substitute, we can't read your mind. We sell doughnuts, not crystal balls."

In Evans' 14 years in her job, she has seen more than her fair share of unusual lawsuits. She recounted one lawsuit about three years ago, in which a woman claimed she burned her tongue on Dunkin' Donuts coffee so hot it must have been tainted by terrorists. That plaintiff lost her suit.

Muddy
06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
If you are a diabetic, surely you arent idiotic enough to trust a fast food worker with access to your glucose levels... What a dip shit.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Not only that, if she's really a diabetic, wouldn't she have been able to taste the sugar in the coffee? I've had artificial sweeteners before and they don't taste like sugar :yuck:

lost in melb.
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Plus you'd feel the sugar-rush within a couple of sips. She won't win.

Softdreamer
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
What is next??
launching a law suit against a nightclub for allowing you to get drunk and get somebody pregnant?[-(

Arkady Renko
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
preposterous, bordering on frivolous.

Hal-9000
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
If you are a diabetic, surely you arent idiotic enough to trust a fast food worker with access to your glucose levels... What a dip shit.

bingo..I work with a type 2 diabetic

also, what Lance says - my coworker knows after the first sip or bite if there's too much sugar present

Deepsepia
06-07-2011, 02:08 AM

. . .and would "Dunkin Donuts" really be your routine stop for anything? I mean, their ketchup is sugar-glazed . . .

allsmiles
06-07-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't agree with this sue-happy nation, but there are definitely more ridiculous lawsuits out there. What I have a problem with is that the attorney for Dunkin' Donuts basically said that there was no way that any of the employees could have made a mistake, or have ever or will ever make a mistake, for that for matter. For her to then go on and make the comment about the crystal ball was a bit too arrogant and too harsh, in my opinion. Dunkin' Donuts shouldn't have someone so abrasive as a spokesperson for their company.

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't agree with this sue-happy nation, but there are definitely more ridiculous lawsuits out there. What I have a problem with is that the attorney for Dunkin' Donuts basically said that there was no way that any of the employees could have made a mistake, or have ever or will ever make a mistake, for that for matter. For her to then go on and make the comment about the crystal ball was a bit too arrogant and too harsh, in my opinion. Dunkin' Donuts shouldn't have someone so abrasive as a spokesperson for their company.

it might be better for their public image if their lawyer was a little more soft spoken, but really, if you handle a few of these ridiculous cases every week I'm sure it leaves traces in your outlook on humanity.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
. . .and would "Dunkin Donuts" really be your routine stop for anything? I mean, their ketchup is sugar-glazed . . .

Exactly...whatever happened to a little personal responsibility?

Hey, even though I'm deathly allergic to peanuts, I would love to take a tour of the Planter's Peanut facility...and maybe we can grab something to eat inside too! :)

it might be better for their public image if their lawyer was a little more soft spoken, but really, if you handle a few of these ridiculous cases every week I'm sure it leaves traces in your outlook on humanity.

No doubt...it would be extremely hard not to be sarcastic when you deal with this kind of crap all the time.