PDA

View Full Version : Micro apartments in Denver rent for $1,000 a month

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Jonathan Gonzalez - 9 News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/JeN5ZY2.jpg

DENVER - Something interesting happening near Sports Authority Field has less to do with the Broncos season -- though we'll get to that -- and much more to do with something not so big at all: micro apartments.

On September 2, tenants began moving into the newly renovated Turntable Studios apartments.

Most of the units were redeveloped out of rooms from the former Hotel VQ, which means most of the apartments are small studios, approximately 330 square feet in size.

At a cost of roughly $915 to $1,050 per studio and already 90 percent pre-leased, the Boutique Apartments-owned building shows that some people are willing to sacrifice space for location, location, location.

The building is located adjacent to the north side parking lots of Sports Authority Field at Mile High, and many rooms offer unobstructed views of downtown, and for right around $1,000-a-month, it's nearly impossible to find an apartment at that price in the area.

"People like it. We've had a lot of positive reactions from people coming in for tours," said Leasing Agent Andrew Hart. "They really like the space and they really like the area. It's a great location so you really can't beat that."

The building features four 664-square foot one bedroom, one bathroom apartments for no less than $1,420, as well as seven 820-square foot two bedroom, two bathroom units on the top floor for no less than $2,645.

"You can't get downtown at this price. So why not just be a step away?" Hart said. "Plenty of people and we have a great range, a great diversity here of who's actually renting. Anywhere from young professionals that want to be close to downtown. We have people who work a lot and travel a lot, who don't want to manage that much space. And then we have people that are probably retired."

But the majority of the 179 units are those tiny studios, decorated mostly in IKEA furniture, as well as miniature dishwashers and one portable electric burner. No ovens. No closets either, though each apartment will have a wardrobe and there is storage available.

"It's definitely an adjustment. All this stuff will be put away," said Sylvia Luna, a new tenant who is still moving in. "I'm just finding places right now to put it, but it'll work."

Luna just moved from renting an 1,800 square-foot, two-bed, two-bath home, which was sold by the owner, forcing her and her boyfriend to move.

"I think it's affordable. A lot of people may be like, 'Oh, well. I can ... pay $800 for a one or two bedroom, but they don't get the amenities or the style I like," she said.

The building also offers a pool, gym and several lounging areas, including a top-floor lounge overlooking downtown.

And as for that Broncos tidbit -- we're told some tenants are season-ticket holders who are taking advantage of the walking distance.

"It's been pretty tough. I've had to buy a lot of stuff to store. All my big boxes, food, flour, sugar," Luna said. "I'm happy where I am and I'm happy we're not going to be filling a bunch of drawers full of stuff."

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2015, 11:01 AM
:-s

330 sq feet? The junk in my bedroom closet wouldn't fit in that space. And no oven? Dude, I absolutely need an oven to cook in.

No thanks.

:hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Rent one :x

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I'm at their website and it doesn't say anything about wheelchair accessibility. They could be violating federal law.

And they're charging rent for pets?!? Are they insane?

http://www.boutiqueapartments.com/index.php/properties/detail/cat/turntablestudios/

HyperV12
09-11-2015, 11:14 AM
They're called bed-sits over here and you'd have to pay more than that in London.

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2015, 11:18 AM
The Studios are ridiculous but the 1 bed/1 bath might be ok.

http://www.boutiqueapartments.com/pdfs/floorplans/fp_turntablestudios.pdf

But it looks like they only have 4 of them.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2015, 11:22 AM
They're called bed-sits over here and you'd have to pay more than that in London.

And Denver is nowhere near the size of London. Denver metro population is just under 2.7 million while London metro population is nearly 14 million. In a city the size of Denver, these rents are ridiculous.

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2015, 11:53 AM
In a city the size of Denver, these rents are ridiculous.

Their brochures sound like they're playing to the younger 20-something crowd, and as a rule, the majority of them don't know shit about anything, so they'll probably pay up and think it's the cool thing to do.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2015, 04:17 PM
hipsters will pay

perrhaps
09-11-2015, 08:32 PM
If it doesn't work out, the developer can always convert the building into a prison.

Griffin
09-12-2015, 01:25 AM
WTF is a Juliette balcony? Can I put a grill and keg on it?

DemonGeminiX
09-12-2015, 02:18 AM
I seriously doubt it.