PDA

View Full Version : American elementary school adopts gender-neutral bathrooms

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2015, 11:54 AM
By Jill Tucker - Stuff.co.nz

http://i.imgur.com/62KEbLs.jpg

In a move to accommodate students who do not fit in with typical gender norms, an elementary school in the US has made their bathrooms, well, just bathrooms.

At the beginning of the year, Miraloma Elementary in San Francisco, California, a school which cater for children aged 4 to 11, started removing all signage associated with bathrooms.

So far the change only affects kindergarten and first-grade bathrooms.

SF Gate reports the change was "in part to acknowledge six to eight students who don't fit traditional gender norms - kids who range from tomboys to transgender," said Principal Sam Bass.

The school plans to phase in the changes for older grades in the coming years.

"There's no need to make them gender-specific anymore," said Bass.

The response has been positive, with Bass adding: "One parent said, 'So, you're just making it like it is at home.'"

The news comes after students protested last week when a school in Missouri allowed a transgender teen to use the girl's locker room, CNN reported.

The push for gender-neutral bathrooms isn't confined to the States.

In 2013, a 9-year-old Australian girl, born a boy but identifies as being female, won the right to be acknowledged as a girl at school.

The issue at Miraloma Elementary was raised by parents addressing the needs of children who didn't fit in the category of traditional genders. One parent in particular was concerned for her son.

"I think most people don't think about how difficult it can be, going to the bathroom for someone like my son," says mum Jae, who didn't want to reveal her last name.

"He was just struggling with it quietly."

Now, "he can just use the restroom without thinking about it."

Goofy
09-14-2015, 12:34 PM
:shakehead:

HyperV12
09-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I can see this ending badly.

Jezter
09-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Another dent to my will to live on this planet. For fucks sake!

Hal-9000
09-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Riddle me this Batman...if we make all bathrooms gender neutral at that age, little boys and girls will be going into the same room and pulling their pants down.

When I was that age, we we would hide under the turtle in the park or go into some abandoned shack and pull down our pants and compare anatomy.

Does anyone else think the bathroom scenario will just encourage kids to do the curious genital thing a lot more often? Is this really a good thing for children at that age?

Goofy
09-15-2015, 09:16 PM
When I was that age, we we would hide under the turtle in the park

:-s

Hal-9000
09-15-2015, 09:20 PM
we used to have a big fiber glass turtle that was hollow underneath, his shell was about a foot off of the ground

so as kids, you'd go under there to pee and poop, look at dead things and pull out your weenies if there were girls present :tup:

Goofy
09-15-2015, 09:22 PM
:lol: We had "the woods" :lol:

Hal-9000
09-15-2015, 09:24 PM
I cried when they hauled that turtle away...

:lol:

Goofy
09-15-2015, 09:26 PM
:shakehead: :lol:

deebakes
09-15-2015, 11:53 PM
did you ever throw a blanket over the turtle hal? :lol:

RBP
09-16-2015, 01:42 AM
"One parent said, 'So, you're just making it like it is at home.'"

If the bathrooms are one person bathrooms. But that's not a usual school bathroom. Well, unless the whole family pisses and shits together, then yes, just like home, except with total strangers you have no control over. So no, nothing like home.

Noilly Pratt
09-16-2015, 03:47 PM
The way my daughter's just-built school does it, is that the wash basins are shared and inset off the main hallway, and very visible by anyone passing by the hallway.

The urinals/toilets are behind the wash basins and private. No problems and a lot cleaner.

Hal-9000
09-16-2015, 05:06 PM
did you ever throw a blanket over the turtle hal? :lol:

:lol: fuck youse

deebakes
09-16-2015, 11:15 PM
:dance: