PDA

View Full Version : Emily Blunt regrets U.S. citizenship after watching GOP debate

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2015, 10:48 AM
FOX 411

http://i.imgur.com/rzNL5db.jpg

British-born actress Emily Blunt became a naturalized U.S. citizen in August, but she said one thing has made her question her decision--watching the Republican Presidential debate.

"I became an American citizen recently, and that night, we watched the Republican debate, and I thought, 'This was a terrible mistake. What have I done?'" she told the Hollywood Reporter while promoting the movie "Sicario" at the Toronto Film Festival.

Last week on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," Blunt expressed additional reservations.

"I'm not sure I'm entirely thrilled about it," she said. "People ask me about the whole day. They were like, 'Oh, it must have been so emotional.' I was like, 'It wasn't! It was sad!' I like being British."

The reaction on Twitter was overwhelmingly anti-Blunt.

Bet #EmilyBlunt doesn't regret being an American as much as we regret watching her films ... Oh that's right she's not in many... #AllGood

— AngieSenseiofSarcasm (@Artist_Angie) September 15, 2015

So #EmilyBlunt became a citizen of the U.S. only to bash it. Funny thing, you can always denounce #ByeFelicia �� pic.twitter.com/7tCfjhA6ZT

— Wayne Dupree (@WayneDupreeShow) September 15, 2015

#EmilyBlunt makes $millions in America but regrets becoming a US citizen. The word hypocrite comes to mind. Wow. Not a fan. #hypocriteBlunt

— Sandy Packer (@STPacker915) September 15, 2015

Blunt, 32, went through the naturalization process with Matthew McConaughey's wife Camila Alves, and said the hardest part for her was pledging her non-allegiance to her former queen.

"It wasn't specifically Queen E, but she knows," she said. "The thing that's weird is I do get to keep both my British citizenship and this, but you have to renounce her. So, it's kind of typically American -- not to be rude -- but I had to renounce her in the room but I don't actually, technically renounce her. They were like, 'Just say it. You don't have to mean it, but just say it.'"

Blunt is married to American actor John Krasinski, best know for his role in "The Office."

RBP
09-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Then GTFO and spot making money off the country you despise, cunt.

Goofy
09-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Yeah, get out of the US Emily......... come over to Scotland and suck my cock :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2015, 12:24 PM
She doesn't like Scotland either, thinks you guys are wankers for wanting to be independent :nono:

Goofy
09-16-2015, 12:27 PM
We are wankers indeed :ok:

:wank:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2015, 12:29 PM
:shakehead:

RBP
09-16-2015, 01:48 PM
She's now on my "will not watch" list with that Frog Depp.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Dont let the door hit you in the ass

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2015, 03:46 PM
"I'm not sure I'm entirely thrilled about it," she said. "People ask me about the whole day. They were like, 'Oh, it must have been so emotional.' I was like, 'It wasn't! It was sad!' I like being British."

Then why the fuck did you do it in the first place? :roll:

Hikari Kisugi
09-16-2015, 06:09 PM
She did it to pay you less tax.
US cits pay less tax on US earnings, than foreign bods do for money earned in the US.

Easier tax and easier working restrictions

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2015, 11:56 AM
By Stephanie Chase - Contact Music

http://i.imgur.com/m9ym5c2.jpg

Sicario actress Emily Blunt has revealed her decision to become a US citizen was mainly due to tax reasons. Blunt became an American citizen back in August, but quickly encountered controversy after comments she made following the Republican presidential debate.

Speaking about her new status to the Sunday Times, Blunt said, "It's mainly for tax reasons. I didn't want to renounce my Queen.”

"You have to learn all about the constitution. You can't be a habitual drunk, you can't be on a guerrilla squad and you can't be a prostitute, which is a shame," the actress added.

"But I felt quite sad, actually. Having to be sworn into a country that wasn't mine. I know at the core of it I haven't given up anything, but it was sort of bittersweet. It was odd.” Blunt also revealed that Matthew McConaughey's Brazilian-born wife Camila Alves, was sworn in at the same ceremony.

But Blunt has recently come under fire for comments she made regarding her US citizenship. At the Toronto Film Festival Blunt told The Hollywood Reporter, “I became an American citizen recently, and that night, we watched the Republican debate and I thought, ‘this was a terrible mistake. What have I done?’”

The actress had also joked during an appearance on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' that British people tend to look down on Americans and that she had now lost the right to do so by becoming a US citizen.

Blunt has since apologised for her comments, telling the ‘Today Show’, “It was so not the intention to hurt anybody or cause any offence, so I really apologise to those that I caused offence. It was just an offhand joke. I think I’ll probably leave the political jokes to 'Late Night' or something.”

deebakes
10-05-2015, 12:01 PM
so... she wants to be a prostitute? :wank:

Hugh_Janus
10-05-2015, 06:43 PM
yeah.... she's an american citizen, she pays her taxes, so she can say whatever the fuck she wants.

RBP
10-05-2015, 07:13 PM
This has already been posted and discussed here.

RBP
10-05-2015, 07:15 PM
yeah.... she's an american citizen, she pays her taxes, so she can say whatever the fuck she wants.
So can I. And I say, then get the fuck out and stop getting rich off the opportunity this country affords you to be a cunt.