PDA

View Full Version : Crowdfunding campaign raises $10 for Chicken McNuggets

Teh One Who Knocks
09-17-2015, 11:23 AM
By Ben Hooper - UPI

http://i.imgur.com/FfwctBG.jpg

JACKSONVILLE, Ala., Sept. 16 (UPI) -- An Alabama man who raised $10 on GoFundMe to buy a 20-piece Chicken McNugget meal said he wanted to make a point about crowdfunding.

Michael Panik, a Jacksonville State University student, said his GoFundMe page seeking $10 for a 20-piece Chicken McNugget meal at McDonald's was inspired by what he saw as frivolous crowdfunding campaigns on the website.

"A friend and mine were talking about all the ridiculous GoFundMe campaigns we've seen recently, basically people just asking for money to buy personal stuff: new equipment, software," Panik told Rise News. "It's pretty rude, honestly -- just begging for money for things you want or need, that ultimately aren't super expensive, and aren't true necessities."

Panik's campaign had an unexpected result -- a man named Michael Brown ponied up the $10 to help the campaign reach its goal.

"I'm so glad my Chicken McNugget scheme kind of took off just in my network," Panik said. "I'd love to see more people find this, and realize that maybe, if you want something, you should spend less time asking people for money, and going out there, working, and getting it for yourself."

The student wrote a tongue-in-cheek description for the GoFundMe campaign:

"Ever since I was a child, I've wanted to do something truly great in life. Help me continue to grow and develop as a person as I beg you for money. For every $10 more that I raise, I'll purchase ANOTHER 20pc meal to share with friends. If we continue, we can feed the world, and bring people together around that most American of meals: the 20pc Chicken McNugget meal.

Some people call me crazy. I just call them 'chicken.'"

Goofy
09-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Chicken! :woot: