PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton mayor not happy with typo on city signs

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2015, 11:34 AM
CTVNews.ca Staff

http://i.imgur.com/2G0O8z5.jpg

Edmonton municipal development signs featuring glaring spelling errors in large print have the city’s mayor shaking his head.

Passersby weren’t impressed either, after spotting a large development sign offering an “opertunity’ for land. Not only was the word “opportunity” misspelled, but the website address provided on the sign was wrong.

“I think somebody should’ve caught it obviously, before it got posted,” one man told CTV Edmonton.

To make matters worse, the inaccuracies were on several signs.

The spelling slip-up was tweeted at Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson Friday morning. He replied with a “sigh” and asked the city to address it.

@doniveson looks bad when we spell things wrong on our own signs.... Doesn't shout confidence pic.twitter.com/m8MLNZnDbD
— Teej (@teej_85) September 25, 2015

Sigh. @CityofEdmonton please address. https://t.co/IoWA81j7S2
— Don Iveson (@doniveson) September 25, 2015

A few hours after the mayor’s request, an employee from a local sign shop was there to cover up the errors.

The five signs have now been fixed and the city is looking into what went wrong.

Edmonton spokesperson Dale Shekooley told CTV News that “obviously we’re very disappointed” that something like the spelling mishap could occur.

“Mistakes like that impact the reputation of our city and the image of our city,” Shekooley said.

The City of Edmonton says it’s analyzing its proofreading process to see how the typo slipped through the cracks. Officials admit it does happen, but errors are usually caught before anyone notices.

It’s not the most high-profile typo of the week.

Pro-soccer’s Tottenham Hotspurs were mocked by sports fans everywhere when they gave hockey icon Wayne Gretzky a jersey with his last name misspelled.

Goofy
09-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Eeejjittz :facepalm:

Hal-9000
09-28-2015, 05:20 PM
I used to work in the print industry.....prufe reeders always let shit go by :lol: