PDA

View Full Version : Guest gets bill after not showing up to wedding

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Jay Olstad - KARE 11

http://i.imgur.com/5VITxiw.jpg

GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. – It was a couple weeks ago, Jessica Baker was getting ready to go to a wedding with her husband when she got a call from her mom.

"She called at the last minute and had something come up and said I can't make it," said Baker.

Her mom was supposed to watch their kids. And since the invitation said no children, that meant no wedding. But then this week, she received a bill for the dinner they were supposed to have enjoyed.

"You've got to be kidding me," she said with a smile. "It listed, we would have had two herb crusted walleye and there was also a service and tax charge."

The total came to $75.90.

"This cost reflects the amount paid by the bride and groom for meals that were RSVP'd for, reimbursement and explanation for no show, card, call or text would be appreciated," the note read.

She has no plans on paying it, but she did wonder what else she could have done.

"I guess I don't know what the right answer would have been. What the right thing to do would have been," she said.

She certainly got a lot of advice after posting the bill to Facebook. KARE 11's page alone had hundreds and hundreds of comments.

"This is kind of the wild story," said Sarah Baumann Rogers.

She's the editor of Minnesota Bride magazine and has some experience on wedding etiquette.

"Under no circumstances should you choose to follow up after the fact...kind of questioning why they couldn't attend or much less sending a bill," she said.

But she understood why couples would be upset after spending a lot of money on the wedding and then some guests skip out, which is why she tells people to notify the hosts as soon as possible if you can't attend.

She also said don't let RSVP's linger. Respond as soon as you can and if you say you're attending, stick to it. But she added sometimes things come up.

"General rule is prepare for about 10 percent of overage or underage when you're planning a big event like that and catering companies are well aware of this," she said.

RBP
10-01-2015, 11:29 AM
If they are starting out the marriage THAT uptight and bitter, it won't last long.

HyperV12
10-01-2015, 12:40 PM
Well that's one less Xmas card they'll have to send.

Hal-9000
10-01-2015, 06:11 PM
I hate fish..keep your stinky ol herb crusty snapper :x