PDA

View Full Version : German cabinet backs nuclear exodus by 2020

lost in melb.
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
by Markus Wacket

Reuters Translate This Article
6 June 2011

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany's planned exit from nuclear power received backing from the cabinet on Monday, the economy and environment ministers said in Berlin.

The far-reaching energy strategy, spurred by the crisis in Japan, reverses longer life cycles that were granted to nuclear power stations only last autumn.

It will entail changes to power grid expansion plans and the subsidy system for renewable energy such as solar and wind.

The ruling Christian Democrats (CDU) and their coalition partners the Free Democrats (FDP) are to discuss details separately, such as the schedule of the nuclear power station phase-out and whether some capacity will remain on stand-by to safeguard supply.

Chancellor Angely Merkel on Friday agreed with state premiers on a phased exodus from nuclear plants, which supplied 23 percent of German power last year, and to stick to plans to more than double the share of renewables to 35 percent by 2020.

This came after a decision on May 30 to phase out nuclear generation by 2022 and leave eight suspended plants shut for good.

Both chambers of parliament have to agree a change of course on energy strategy by the parliamentary summer break from July 8.

MARKET REACTION

Shares in E.ON and RWE were down 2.47 and 0.54 percent at 1444 GMT, while renewable stock Phoenix Solar was up 2.27.

The government dropped plans to add a further cut to incentives for photovoltaic energy.

Wholesale power markets drifted lower on Monday. The benchmark Cal '12 position in Germany was at 59.25 euros a megawatt hour, down 50 cents from Friday. Traders said much of the nuclear news had been priced in when the contract hit 60 euros in early April.

Some analysts estimate that utilities risk losing billions of euros in earnings, but they point out that there will be offsetting factors such as greater opportunities for renewables.

E.ON said it was facing additional financial damages and would seek compensation, after already announcing last week it would sue the government over a fuel tax that it intends to levy although lifespans are no longer extended.

A spokesman said on Monday the concessions made since then to state premiers and the opposition posed even greater risks.

A spokeswoman for RWE said her company was studying the latest decisions and 'was keeping all legal options open'.

In another response, CDU energy expert Thomas Bareiss told Reuters the move could mean lower CO2 emissions goals for Germany and the EU as more fossil-fuels-based generation plants would probably step in to replace lost nuclear capacity.

The head of Germany's federation of industry (BDI), Hans-Peter Keitel, also said on German radio a change to Germany's ambitious climate protection goals might be necessary.

The International Energy Agency criticised Germany's move.

'By deciding to phase out nuclear, it is clear that the cost of electricity will increase, and the security implication is that reliance on imports rises,' its executive director Nobuo Tanaka said in London.

(Reporting by Andreas Rinke, Markus Wacket, Gernot Heller, Chris Steitz, Tom Kaeckenhoff, and Vera Eckert; Editing by Jason Neely and Jane Baird)

© Copyright 2011 Reuters

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
now everyone's all for it, but boy will they be pissed once they realize that replacing nuclear power plants with renewables or natural gas from Russia does come at a price. What's more, I think it's stupid to rule out the construction of more modern nuclear power plants in the future. The ones we have now are at least 25 years old, some are from the early seventies. I think it really is for the best to shut those down in the next ten or twelve years instead of spending tens of billions trying to update them. But I don't see why we should stop looking into better, safer reactors.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Does Germany have such a lack of wind and sun that they would have to buy power from Russia? ;)

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
well, there sure is lots of wind, particularly on the coasts, but it has never been known to respect stable schedules. And however hard the manufacturers of solar panels tried, they still can't make that damn thing shine at night. So until we come up with convenient storage for nighttime and days of shallow breezes, and maybe a whole new national power grid, I can't see renewables doing more than complement the dirty old coal and gas.

Then again, we can probably save insane amounts of carbon gas if we simply modernize the existing power plants. Should provide a nice stimulus for a lot of domestic industries, too.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, I misread your comment. I thought you meant purchasing renewable energy out of Russia :lol:

It seems crazy we can't come up with a decent solar panel after all this time.

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 03:35 PM
the ones for sale right now are so much more efficient than the old models and they are fairly cost efficient, but seeing how much energy we still use there's nothing for it but to try several methods at the same time. At least we have a lot of companies that will make a huge business as energy saving and renewables become increasingly important. that should help compensate the extra expenses.

Deepsepia
06-07-2011, 07:36 PM
The thing is, I'd much rather have Germans running nuclear power stations than, say, Slovaks . . . Europe is going to have a lot of nuclear power stations in 50 years, it would be ironic and dangerous if they weren't concentrated in the most technically sophisticated nations.

lost in melb.
06-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Yep, and national borders are real close up that way

Muddy
06-08-2011, 01:55 AM
I can dig someone going for it...

Arkady Renko
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
The thing is, I'd much rather have Germans running nuclear power stations than, say, Slovaks . . . Europe is going to have a lot of nuclear power stations in 50 years, it would be ironic and dangerous if they weren't concentrated in the most technically sophisticated nations.

yeah, I know, the thought of nuclear power plants being built in places like Turkey and Greece what with the earth quake risk is not exactly comforting, but even so I guess that it may be good to have a large industrialized nation trying to switch over to renewables as a front runner. If it works here it can work pretty much anywhere.

Godfather
06-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Canada is so stupidly huge I think they should just build a couple of the world's largest somewhere up north and power the whole country with them and sell off the rest to or neighbors at fair prices. Nuclear baby. Go big or go home

FBD
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
this is in the top 5 stupid kneejerk reactions of 2011. have fun paying the energy costs in the future ya morans!

Arkady Renko
06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
it's highly hypocritical because the same government had handed the power companies massive extension of the shutdown deadlines for the old rwactors last year...back then they said our reactors were safe to run 20 or 30 more years. Now suddenly fukushima blows up and all bets are off. Either the lied before the extension or they're lying now.