PDA

View Full Version : College bans national anthem at sporting events...

AntZ
06-07-2011, 02:26 PM
No more national anthem at pacifist Indiana college

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:01 AM EST

Goshen - A small northern Indiana college has decided to stop playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at sporting events after starting to do so for the first time last year.

Goshen College's board of directors says it will find an alternative that honors the country and the Mennonite Church-affiliated school's pacifist traditions.

The 1,000-student college has been playing an instrumental version of the national anthem, followed by a peace prayer, before games and other events. Some were upset with the school's decision last year because the song's lyrics contain references to using war and military might to defend the country.

Art professor John Blosser tells The Goshen News that there is much national pride at the school, but that most people aren't going to blindly accept what the country does.

http://www.wthr.com/story/14851935/no-more-national-anthem-at-pacifist-indiana-college

The song was written during a battle, a battle that gave these idiots the right to practice their religion. Best of luck to them when there's no one willing to stand up and fight to maintain those rights in the future. :rolleyes:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I love these people who want to take advantage of the freedoms gained, but prefer not to defend them :lol: Not that I agree with the wars we are currently in, but still....c'mon

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
radical pacifism sounds great but simply doesn't work unless you have some people with less moral inhibitions to watch your back for you while you feel good about yourself.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, it works if the entire world is on board, and thats it

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
exactly, we have a nutcase former lutheran bishop here who keeps moaning about how germany's (albeit very limited) involvement in Afghanistan is a terrible moral mistake yada-yada...when the minister of defense asked her in a talk show what she'd recommend we do about the taliban and al qaeda she actually demanded that there should be spiritual meetings with their leaders where people could pray together and exchange their views on religion and social values. Welcome to la-la-land...

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Hahahaha, yeah that will work out well since they are so open to other peoples beliefs. Send her over, tell her to make it happen :lol:

Arkady Renko
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
the MOD invited her to tag along with a fact finding mission of some members of parliament who wanted to go and get a first hand impression of the situation there. She refused to go because she couldn't be a part of the mission in any way...instead she lost her bishop's job because she ran into a random police check with a blood alcohol of over .02 at the wheel of her service limo at 2 AM. If she were a catholic I'd say she's been hitting the mass wine a bit too hard...

Loser
06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I live 20 minutes from this city, and I can say that Goshen and Elkhart county for that matter, is at the very least, 50% illegal immigrants.

:meh:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
the MOD invited her to tag along with a fact finding mission of some members of parliament who wanted to go and get a first hand impression of the situation there. She refused to go because she couldn't be a part of the mission in any way...instead she lost her bishop's job because she ran into a random police check with a blood alcohol of over .02 at the wheel of her service limo at 2 AM. If she were a catholic I'd say she's been hitting the mass wine a bit too hard...

:lol: Love those stories of high and mighty failure

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 07:45 PM
won't allow the anthem?

no problem...move to a country that didn't have to fight to allow you to play your sports in peace :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I love these people who want to take advantage of the freedoms gained, but prefer not to defend them :lol: Not that I agree with the wars we are currently in, but still....c'mon

Exactly...nothing pisses me off more than the people that exercise their rights of free speech and whatnot and think that it never ever had to be fought for or never needs to be defended.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2011, 07:54 PM
won't allow the anthem?

no problem...move to a country that didn't have to fight to allow you to play your sports in peace :thumbsup:

I hear North Korea is nice this time of year :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey I believe in the ideal of pacifism but I never forget what people did to allow me to print that here.....

mooks like this should be damn glad they didn't have to fight in any horrible conflicts and leave it at that