PDA

View Full Version : Waitress Reportedly Caught Doubling Her Tip On Restaurant Receipt

Teh One Who Knocks
10-13-2015, 11:12 AM
By Karin Sun - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/uTvBgK3.jpg

A family was charged more money than they expected after dining at a restaurant in Roanoke, Virginia.

Whitney Anderson, a mother of three, dined with her family at Abuelo's on Oct. 8, WSLS 10 reports. She tipped the server $10 on top of a total restaurant bill of $45.50. The next day, however, she noticed that $65.50 was drawn from her bank account rather than the expected charge of $55.50.

When the Salem, Virginia, resident returned to the restaurant to investigate, she was given a customer copy of the receipt from the previous night's dinner with $20 written in the tip line and an allegedly forged signature.

Anderson told WSLS 10 that the signature on the receipt looked nothing like her handwriting and that she had originally filled out a merchant copy of the receipt, not a customer copy.

According to a Facebook post about the incident on Oct. 9, Anderson neglected to take the blank customer copy out of the book when she signed the receipt. She speculated that the waitress that served her family that night must have thrown out the signed merchant copy with the $10 tip, filled out the customer copy with an increased tip of $20, and forged Anderson's signature to the new receipt.

Managers at Abuelo's initially promised Anderson a refund of the extra $10 charged to her account within 10 business days. However, after Anderson posted the story and a picture of the forged receipt on social media and brought the incident to the attention of the press, the restaurant called her much sooner than expected and offered to refund the entire cost of dinner.

“You’re not satisfied with your restaurant experience and I apologize for that," a restaurant manager reportedly told Anderson over the phone, according to WSLS 10. "I would like to refund the entire value of your check."

Anderson, a waitress for 11 years, said it was not the extra $10 charge but the breach of trust between customer and server that worried her.

“It was almost a 25% tip and then they go behind you and fraudulently sign a name to a credit card receipt,” she told WSLS 10. “I don’t feel that’s any different than someone taking your debit card.”

She added in her Facebook post that the police are now involved.

Abuelo's General manager, Jason Mcknight, has released a statement promising that restaurant management are "taking this complaint seriously and are investigating the details."

HyperV12
10-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Chip & pin will take care of that.

deebakes
10-13-2015, 11:45 AM
:excellent:

Goofy
10-13-2015, 12:44 PM
:facepalm:

Hikari Kisugi
10-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Yeah, quite amazed that the US is one of the last countries on earth to introduce a chip and pin system throughout.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-13-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, quite amazed that the US is one of the last countries on earth to introduce a chip and pin system throughout.

It was instituted at the beginning of the month

http://consumerist.com/2015/10/01/the-chip-and-pin-credit-card-era-starts-today-what-you-need-to-know/

Hugh_Janus
10-13-2015, 07:45 PM

not if you don't check the amount.... a few years ago, in a place I worked, the receptionist charged a customer £1300 for a £130 bill.... and it was only noticed at the end of the day

Hal-9000
10-13-2015, 07:49 PM

I used to have a chip on my debit card, real handy just wave it over the reader.

This past summer, someone got my card info and used it. They made 5 quick debits, over 3 thousand bucks gone in one day.

When I talked with the Loss Control department with the bank over the following 2 weeks, I wanted to know how it had been compromised. They wouldn't exactly tell me but he guy said it was likely either a wireless card reader the thief had with him or it was some hardware added to the actual reader (you can put one on a gas pump in under 60 seconds)

I said I used Paypal during that time and that was my only online transaction, could the thief hack that? Guy said that was very unlikely because he would have to first breech Paypal, then my bank account, then somehow bruteforce my debit card pin number.

Easier method would be to get the pin info during a chip transaction, likely while I was standing right there....

so now, new card, no chip

Hikari Kisugi
10-13-2015, 08:08 PM
You can put a skimmer on any device, its easily done, usually they have a pinhole camera watching the button press, and at a gas station people are less likely to cover their hand typing in a pin.

I wasn't talking about contactless cards, which although set for low value transactions seem to be a scammer paradise.

Chip and pin is more secure than a signature system. Still isn't perfect.

Hal-9000
10-13-2015, 08:20 PM
You can put a skimmer on any device, its easily done, usually they have a pinhole camera watching the button press, and at a gas station people are less likely to cover their hand typing in a pin.

I wasn't talking about contactless cards, which although set for low value transactions seem to be a scammer paradise.

Chip and pin is more secure than a signature system. Still isn't perfect.

So you were talking credit card as opposed to debit...

I've had the same card for over a decade and when I checked my account online I almost shit a brick. I'm careful with my stuff both online and in person, almost to a fault.

With our debit chip cards that you can wave over a machine without typing the pin, now it's common for the worker to ask you - Can I scan your card? I always say no, even getting out of my car one night at a drive thru to do it :lol: The Loss people told me to wave my hand over the reader after using it when you scan like that, because it removes the info.

They also said it's become very common to get card info now, regardless of which bank you deal with. Kind of a plague right now here in Canada. They sell wallets and card slips that protect your cards while you carry them.

Hal-9000
10-13-2015, 08:22 PM
Guy also said the thieves now have wireless devices on them....they don't even have to put hardware over existing devices.

That part really bothered me.

HyperV12
10-13-2015, 09:05 PM
The banks here cover the fraudulent use plus there is a limit of I think of £40 to the wireless (tap & go) transactions. That said no system is going to be 100% secure but it's a lot better than before.

KevinD
10-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Carry cash and a gun. Problem solved

DemonGeminiX
10-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Carry cash and a gun. Problem solved

I'm almost there. :lol:

Hikari Kisugi
10-14-2015, 07:14 PM
So you were talking credit card as opposed to debit...

I've had the same card for over a decade and when I checked my account online I almost shit a brick. I'm careful with my stuff both online and in person, almost to a fault.

With our debit chip cards that you can wave over a machine without typing the pin, now it's common for the worker to ask you - Can I scan your card? I always say no, even getting out of my car one night at a drive thru to do it :lol: The Loss people told me to wave my hand over the reader after using it when you scan like that, because it removes the info.

They also said it's become very common to get card info now, regardless of which bank you deal with. Kind of a plague right now here in Canada. They sell wallets and card slips that protect your cards while you carry them.

No, both our credit and debit cards have been chipped for years, and require the chip entered at every transaction except for specific instances where retailers can use contactless purchasing for a charge of around a max of £20, anything over that much be chipped.
No waving shite without it being a very low value transaction. These contactless chips are now in all cards, but proper transactions need the chip, they way it should be.

Hal-9000
10-14-2015, 07:55 PM
No, both our credit and debit cards have been chipped for years, and require the chip entered at every transaction except for specific instances where retailers can use contactless purchasing for a charge of around a max of £20, anything over that much be chipped.
No waving shite without it being a very low value transaction. These contactless chips are now in all cards, but proper transactions need the chip, they way it should be.

When we say 'chipped cards' we mean being able to wave shite at the reader without putting in a PIN number. Both credit and debit cards. Different meanings for the terminology ...

Hikari Kisugi
10-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Those would be contactless cards.
Does your bank not set a limit on the max transaction without needing the pin?
Madness.

Hal-9000
10-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Those would be contactless cards.
Does your bank not set a limit on the max transaction without needing the pin?
Madness.

Here' what happened. I have a credit card and a debit card. Last year my bank issued a new debit card by mail to every client. Now it has what we call 'the chip' in it so it can be scanned without needing a PIN number, up to 100 dollars per transaction. The new card also became a Visa debit card meaning I could use it at places that accepted Visa, as long as my bank account had at least that balance in it. So not really a credit card, more like Visa access to a funded account.

Thief got my card numbers and PIN number. He went online and used the "Visa" portion of the debit card for about 3000 dollars, five separate purchases. I have a limit on a debit transaction, something like 1000 per transaction.

The thief went to online stores and bought things using the Visa function. As long as my account has that much physical cash in it to back up the transactions (plus 1500 overdraft on all accounts), I guess he could of taken it right to the limit.

Bank said they tried to contact me the day after the debits occurred, but they didn't cancel my card. I just had this weird feeling to check my online balance the day after it happened and went straight to the bank. Have a new debit card with waving ability and Visa ability turned off. I have to type in my PIN for every transaction.

The waving it at readers without typing in your PIN is what I was told could be the vulnerability. They get my personal identification number and then all of the functions of the card are open to them. Thief guy did everything through Visa online, not my habit (ever), so the bank suspected fraud before I knew it.

Strange thing - usually the bank takes up to 10 days to refund your money. In my case every debit was reversed and shown with the bank's name. One of the online vendors that the thief used, refunded two debits back to me on their own...before the bank refunded all of the missing debits at once. So I had the same two stolen debits put back into my account :lol: