PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Uber drivers strike for more pay, tipping option

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2015, 12:19 PM
By Lindsey Reiser - KPHO Broadcasting Corporation

PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) - Before you call your ride service for a lift home tonight, be aware that many Uber drivers are on strike. They want more money, so they're hitting the brakes all weekend.

The reason Charles Laursen started driving for Uber is simple.

"You set your own hours, you can take whatever jobs you want," Laursen said.

But his relationship status with the company has become complicated.

"I've gone home after working for eight hours with $20 in my pocket, and I've gone home after four hours and made $300, so it just depends," Laursen said. He said he wants the company to increase its fares by a dollar or two - enough that the service remains cheap, and so drivers don't feel stranded.

Drivers say they also want a tipping option built into the app.

"I have an autistic child and it really gives me the flexibility and work when I need to and take care of my son when I need to," said Uber driver Chelsea. "But with all the rate cuts, it's just impossible to take care of us now"."

Uber sent us a statement saying:

We always welcome feedback from driver-partners. Each month, tens of thousands of drivers across the U.S. begin using the Uber app to make money on their own time towards their needs and goals. Drivers say they value the flexibility and the chance to be their own boss, and choose Uber over other options because it fits around their life and works for them.

Laursen said he just wants it to be better for everyone.

"Passengers wouldn't even really notice but we notice, and the service is going to get better because the drivers are going to be more content with the service," Laursen said.

RBP
10-17-2015, 03:41 PM
I averaged $18 an hour last night, then did a private post-concert run for another $75 on top of it.

Strike away, I'll just be busier.

Morons.

deebakes
10-17-2015, 03:44 PM
:uwank:

Hal-9000
10-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Some talk about this service coming up here. Our cabbies are NOT impressed and say they'll do everything they can to stop it :lol:

we get raped on cab fees

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Some talk about this service coming up here. Our cabbies are NOT impressed and say they'll do everything they can to stop it :lol:

we get raped on cab fees

Unless your cabs are regulated even more than they are down here, they'll lose. All the cab companies in Denver tried to keep them out but they lost.

Hal-9000
10-19-2015, 05:48 PM
Unless your cabs are regulated even more than they are down here, they'll lose. All the cab companies in Denver tried to keep them out but they lost.

Sounds like it's going to be more of a Holy Jihad than any sort of demonstration :lol:

redred
10-19-2015, 06:18 PM

same here uber have got round stuff

RBP
10-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Uber on!