PDA

View Full Version : Driver Who Swerved And Hit A Motorcycle: 'I Don't Care'

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Alanis King - Jalopnik

http://i.imgur.com/cgJHpJF.gif

A motorcyclist got more than he bargained for while making a pass on a two-lane road on Saturday when a driver swerved and hit the bike, sending both passengers to the ground. The driver’s response to the whole thing? “I don’t care.”

The rider, Eric Sanders — who posted the video taken by a fellow traveller to Facebook shortly after it happened — said in the comments section that he suffered road rash and his girlfriend went to an intensive care unit in Texas after the incident.

Sanders begins to pass the car at about 1:40 in the video, only to have the driver swerve and knock both the rider and his passenger off of the motorcycle. As the video shows, the scene after the wreck is pretty urgent — fellow drivers pulling over to check on the couple as the two lay down on the side of the road, while the person filming approaches the man who hit the bike.

A motorcyclist got more than he bargained for while making a pass on a two-lane road on Saturday when a driver swerved and hit the bike, sending both passengers to the ground. The driver’s response to the whole thing? “I don’t care.”

The rider, Eric Sanders — who posted the video taken by a fellow traveller to Facebook shortly after it happened — said in the comments section that he suffered road rash and his girlfriend went to an intensive care unit in Texas after the incident.

Sanders begins to pass the car at about 1:40 in the video, only to have the driver swerve and knock both the rider and his passenger off of the motorcycle. As the video shows, the scene after the wreck is pretty urgent — fellow drivers pulling over to check on the couple as the two lay down on the side of the road, while the person filming approaches the man who hit the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L13Z7Aa7ZXQ

The driver initially blames his swerving on the fact that the rider tried to pass him over double-yellow lines, which Sanders later admitted to in a clarification post on Facebook. Then he turns around to say that he was “stung by a wasp,” intertwined with several more “I don’t care” statements while the filming motorcyclist snaps a picture of his license plate.

Sanders added in the clarification post that his reason for passing the car was its slowing down to around 20 mph under the speed limit for that particular area. Police did not arrest the man, according to Sanders’ comments, but he is “gonna be prosecuted.”

While Sanders wasn’t completely in the right by passing the car in a zone with double-yellow lines, that certainly doesn’t justify the driver hitting him for any reason.

Around three hours ago, Sanders’ latest update on the situation stated that his girlfriend was headed into surgery for an arm injury sustained during the crash.

HyperV12
10-19-2015, 12:20 PM
So does double yellows mean no overtaking then? If so then bike was wrong to pass but the car driver needs a kicking for being a complete dick.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2015, 12:23 PM
So does double yellows mean no overtaking then? If so then bike was wrong to pass but the car driver needs a kicking for being a complete dick.

In almost all states (Vermont and Pennsylvania being exceptions according to Wikipedia) it is against the law to pass another vehicle when there is a double yellow line present on the highway.

HyperV12
10-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Then the bike was in the wrong to pass but the car driver would be liable for charges of dangerous driving and/or reckless endangerment over here. Two wrongs don't make a right but the car guy deserves all that he gets imo.

Goofy
10-19-2015, 12:52 PM
Fuck going on a bike minus leathers, too many eejit drivers out there

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2015, 01:02 PM
That dude (car driver) should be in jail.

Pony
10-19-2015, 03:54 PM
I believe in Ohio if the vehicle you are over taking is going a certain percentage under the posted limit is is legal to pass over a double yellow. Might be 50%? It's written that way so if you get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle you can legally pass.

I assume this might be the case in other states as well? If so if the cars he was passing were going 20MPH below the posted speed limit his pass may have been legal.

Found this

Steven Goodridge
Colorado, Maine, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah and Wisconsin, have added provisions to their respective traffic codes explicitly allowing drivers to cross a solid centerline to pass a slow-moving vehicle, or a bicyclist specifically, under safe conditions.

Pony
10-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Found it for Ohio and it looks like many more states are looking at adding similar.

In Ohio, a driver can legally cross the double yellow line under some conditions:

(1) The slower vehicle is proceeding at less than half the speed of the speed limit applicable to that location.

(2) The faster vehicle is capable of overtaking and passing the slower vehicle without exceeding the speed limit.

(3) There is sufficient clear sight distance to the left of the center or center line of the roadway to meet the overtaking and passing provisions of section 4511.29 of the Revised Code, considering the speed of the slower vehicle.

RBP
10-19-2015, 05:14 PM
What a dick.

Noilly Pratt
10-19-2015, 05:27 PM
In Canada, it's illegal in every province to cross a double yellow, except Ontario where it's more of an advisory than something legal or not legal.

I'm quite sure in Canada the driver would have been charged with "Assault with a Deadly Weapon", which is pretty serious stuff. True, the cyclist should not have crossed the double yellow - but that's no excuse for the driver's over-reaction.

Hal-9000
10-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Found it for Ohio and it looks like many more states are looking at adding similar.

I hate subjective laws left up to the public...something happens, both drivers end up in court (or someone in hospital) and it's a bunch of -

I know for sure he was traveling at 32.5 miles per hour!
I was going 40.7 miles per hour!
You were not!

And I had sufficient clear sight distance to the left when I was passing!
Until that other car came over the hill!
You shut up!

Pony
10-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I hate subjective laws left up to the public...something happens, both drivers end up in court (or someone in hospital) and it's a bunch of -

I know for sure he was traveling at 32.5 miles per hour!
I was going 40.7 miles per hour!
You were not!

And I had sufficient clear sight distance to the left when I was passing!
Until that other car came over the hill!
You shut up!

It makes sense the way it was written. It is intended to allow people to cross the line to pass bicycles, tractors doing 5 MPH, etc. If the speed limit is 40 you can only legally pass if the slower vehicle is doing 20 or less (half the posted speed).

Hugh_Janus
10-19-2015, 09:58 PM
#attemptedmurder

Teh One Who Knocks
04-10-2017, 11:45 AM
By Tom Uhler - The Star-Telegram

http://i.imgur.com/1vtZsqu.jpg

GRANBURY - A man who intentionally swerved into a couple on a motorcycle in Hood County, causing them to crash and injure themselves in 2015, was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday, his attorney confirmed.

William Sam Crum, 69, was convicted of two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in a jury trial in the 355th District Court in Hood County.

Crum had been in jail since his arrest Oct. 19, 2015, said his attorney, Lukas Lawrence.

He was accused of purposely swerving into a Kawasaki motorcycle on Tin Top Highway the previous Saturday, causing motorcyclist Eric Sanders, 37, to crash.

A video of the incident taken by a fellow motorcyclist with a camera attached to his helmet went viral soon after its release, attracting millions of views.

It shows the motorcycle from behind speeding up to pass Crum’s Mercury on the two-lane road and Crum suddenly swerving across the painted dividing lines and clipping the bike, causing it and the bikers to fall and slide along the pavement.

On the video, Sanders is seen getting up almost immediately and limping toward the road with what turned out to be minor injuries. His passenger, Debra Simpson, 38, lies motionless on her back on the side of the road with a broken arm and scrapes and bruises that landed her in the intensive care unit of Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth.

“I don’t care,” Crum says when confronted after the crash.

In a jailhouse interview the day after his arrest, Crum showed his leg where he claimed that a spider had bitten him, causing him to momentarily lose control of his vehicle before the wreck. And he said that if Sanders hadn’t been “breaking the law” by trying to pass in a no-pass zone the crash would never have happened.

His jury trial on one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing bodily injury lasted two days, his attorney said.

Crum, no stranger to legal trouble, will remain in the Hood County jail until he is transferred to a unit of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Hugh_Janus
04-10-2017, 07:34 PM
#getrekt

PorkChopSandwiches
04-10-2017, 07:42 PM
:haha:

deebakes
04-11-2017, 01:47 AM
good :tup: