PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Liberals win landslide majority in election, unseat Conservative government

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 10:50 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/l9ld124.jpg

Canada's Liberal Party, led by the son of the country's most famous political figure in the second half of the 20th century, ended the nine-year Conservative premiership of Stephen Harper with a landslide victory in Monday's federal election.

According to a tally by the Canadian Press, the Liberals passed the 170-seat threshold needed to gain control of parliament at 12:15 a.m. ET Tuesday. In all, the Liberals won 184 seats. The Conservatives were a distant second with 99 seats, while the left-wing New Democratic Party placed third with 44 seats.

The results mean that Justin Trudeau, 43, a former schoolteacher and son of the late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, will become the second-youngest leader in Canada's history. Trudeau's Liberals had been favored to win the most seats, but few expected a majority and fewer foresaw the final margin of victory.

"We beat fear with hope," Trudeau said in his victory speech to supporters in Montreal early Tuesday. "We beat cynicism with hard work. We beat negative, divisive politics with a positive vision that brings Canadians together. Most of all we defeated the idea that Canadians should be satisfied with less."

"The people are never wrong," Harper said in his concession speech in Calgary. "The disappointment is my responsibility and mine alone."

Harper said he called Trudeau to congratulate him. A statement from the Conservative Party announced that Harper would resign as party leader, but would remain a member of parliament.

Harper had said he would step down if his party didn't win the most seats. Former colleagues of Harper said he would be personally devastated to lose to a Trudeau, the liberal legacy he entered politics to destroy.

Trudeau, who has re-energized the Liberal Party since its devastating electoral losses four years ago, promises to raise taxes on the rich and run deficits for three years to boost government spending. His late father, who took office in 1968 and led Canada for most of the next 16 years, is a storied name in Canadian history, responsible for the country's version of the Bill of Rights.

Pierre Trudeau remains one of the few Canadian politicians known in America, his charisma often drawing comparisons to John F. Kennedy. A bachelor when he became prime minister, he dated actresses Barbra Streisand and Kim Cattrall and married Justin's mother while in office when she was just 22 years old.

"We have a chance to bring real change to Canada and bring an end to the Harper decade," Trudeau said this past weekend in Harper's adopted home province of Alberta, traditionally a Conservative stronghold.

Canada had shifted to the center-right under Harper, who has lowered sales and corporate taxes, avoided climate change legislation and clashed with the Obama administration over the Keystone XL pipeline.

The Trudeau victory is expected to ease tensions with the U.S. Although Trudeau supports the Keystone pipeline, he argues relations should not hinge on the project. Harper has clashed with the Obama administration over other issues, including the recently reached Iran nuclear deal.

Trudeau's opponents pilloried him as too inexperienced, but Trudeau embraced his boyish image on Election Day. Sporting jeans and a varsity letter jacket, he posed for a photo standing on the thighs of two his colleagues to make a cheerleading pyramid, his campaign plane in the backdrop with "Trudeau 2015" painted in large red letters.

Harper, 56, visited districts he won in the 2011 election in an attempt to hang onto them. On Saturday, he posed with Toronto's former crack-smoking mayor, Rob Ford, in a conservative suburb.

Hurt when Canada entered a mild recession earlier this year, Harper made a controversy over the Islamic face veil a focus of his campaign, a decision his opponents seized on to depict him as a divisive leader.

"A sea of change here. We are used to high tides in Atlantic Canada. This is not what we hoped for," said Peter MacKay, a former senior Conservative cabinet minister, shortly after polls closed in Atlantic Canada.

Paula Mcelhinney, 52, from Toronto, voted Liberal to get rid of Harper.

"I want to get him out, it's about time we have a new leader. It's time for a change," she said.

Pony
10-20-2015, 11:31 AM
:haha:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Trudeau... promises to raise taxes on the rich and run deficits for three years to boost government spending.

:-s

And they thought this was a good idea?

Goofy
10-20-2015, 12:06 PM
:canada:

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 06:12 PM
This is fucking horrible.....seriously. Liberal federal government and NDP provincial government

Back in 1980 when Trudeau's dad (Liberals) was our prime minister, he put the country into 10 billion in debt and screwed over the western provinces hard....took a long time to crawl out of that

and his Dad Pierre, was a fairly intelligent guy too.....this guy, Pierre's son is a total fuckwit...we're doomed

Goofy
10-20-2015, 06:17 PM
This is fucking horrible.....seriously. Liberal federal government and NDP provincial government

Back in 1980 when Trudeau's dad (Liberals) was our prime minister, he put the country into 10 billion in debt and screwed over the western provinces hard....took a long time to crawl out of that

and his Dad Pierre, was a fairly intelligent guy too.....this guy, Pierre's son is a total fuckwit...we're doomed

:empathy:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 06:17 PM
:-s

And they thought this was a good idea?

Because it's worked so well for us here in the United States :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Agence France Presse

http://i.imgur.com/4uZXk2Y.jpg

Ottawa (AFP) - Canada is "back" on the world stage, prime minister-elect Justin Trudeau said Tuesday after a landslide victory that ended nearly a decade of conservative rule.

"I want to say to this country's friends all around the world -- many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years," Trudeau told a rally.

"On behalf of 35 million Canadians -- we're back."

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 06:58 PM
maybe something will happen to him and he'll have to leave

:sad2:

Loser
10-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Boo fking hoo. 10 billion?

Obummers dumb ass doubled ours to, what? 15 trillion now?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 07:07 PM

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

$18.4 trillion :tup:

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 07:19 PM

It's worse than that, but thanks for the support....at least most of you guys have good jobs and a good standard of living. Everything from your food, electronics, furniture, cars, homes, costs less than what we pay for the exact same things. Up to 30% less on the average. And that's right now. Typically you get paid more for similar jobs and your daily standard of living is less expensive to live in.

So if your president has doubled the deficit, most of you seem to have weathered it ok. Up here in our provinces, we have few resources like oil and lumber, and the Liberal party (if history repeats) will drive down any revenues we can make and kill an already hurting oil industry in our western provinces.

This guy isn't just bad at math, he will cripple our economy and turn us into a third world country.

I know we all have political burdens to bear and I don't know yours....I am familiar with mine and what happens when our country gets reorganized from the inside out by a young lunatic. He's just like his dad and we will likely suffer worse than a recession...you may see a mass migration south in the next few years..

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 07:24 PM

Oh and that figure is from 35 years ago in a country with 10% of your population and a considerably smaller gnp...

HyperV12
10-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Oh and that figure is from 35 years ago in a country with 10% of your population and a considerably smaller gnp...

But much better beer! :tup:

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 07:41 PM
But much better beer! :tup:

feelin the love :tup:

I'm out...never discuss politics, religion or gun control on a forum....my vote was worth nothing yesterday :(

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 07:44 PM
....my vote was worth nothing yesterday :(

:nono:

You're vote always matters, even if it's cast in a losing effort. Can't let the bastards think that everyone agrees with what they are planning on doing

Hal-9000
10-20-2015, 07:47 PM
nothing in the bank, no job, I'm doomed.....

*searches for elevated position and a discount scope*

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2015, 07:54 PM
nothing in the bank, no job, I'm doomed.....

*searches for elevated position and a discount scope*

Just think though, if he turns you guys into a 3rd world country, you can apply for aid from us down here :tup:

Pony
10-20-2015, 08:38 PM
...you may see a mass migration south in the next few years..

I've got plenty of space, I'll help get you a job so you can pay me rent money. You'll have to get your own gun though.

Loser
10-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Sorry hal, wasn't trying to pick on ya, I'm just floored at how badly my country has gone to shit and it's going to get a lot fking worse in 2016.

HyperV12
10-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Just think though, if he turns you guys into a 3rd world country, you can apply for aid from us down here :tup:

The Chinese won't let that happen, they've too much invested. Just had an announcement here that the Chinese have stepped in and saved the company that makes the London Black Cabs which was going under. Start learning Mandarin guys we are all going to need it.

deebakes
10-21-2015, 01:18 AM
:rip: :canada:

Noilly Pratt
11-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Didn't think this warranted its own thread...its a continuation of this really...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-tells-british-media-he-left-canadian-detractors-in-the-dust-1.2674974#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=YaxAgNJ

A bit UnCanadian...it brought this to mind...

http://i65.tinypic.com/kd6h4i.jpg

(http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-tells-british-media-he-left-canadian-detractors-in-the-dust-1.2674974#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=YaxAgNJ)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-30-2015, 04:59 PM
:rip::canada:

RBP
11-30-2015, 05:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6YCIkRK.jpg?1

PorkChopSandwiches
11-30-2015, 05:27 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
11-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Unfortunate name :lol: