PDA

View Full Version : New Canadian PM tells Obama country will pull out of ISIS airstrikes

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2015, 11:10 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/4wo7SE0.jpg

Canadian Prime Minister-Designate Justin Trudeau told President Obama Tuesday that he intended to remove Canada's six fighter jets from the U.S.-led bombing campaign against ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

Trudeau, whose Liberals unseated Conservative Stephen Harper's government with a landslide victory in Monday's federal election, believes that Canada's military should be restricted to training missions only and has vowed to increase spending on aid to the war-torn region. The departing Harper had said pulling Canadian planes out of the anti-ISIS mission would hurt relations with the U.S.

"[Obama] understands the commitments I've made around ending the combat missions," Trudeau told a post-election rally of supporters in Ottawa.

The White House declined to confirm Trudeau's statement Tuesday, with spokesman Josh Earnest saying that the Canadians "have made an important contribution thus far and we're obviously deeply appreciative of them lending their talent and skill and expertise to that effort. And we hope that we can continue to count on their ongoing support for this very important mission."

Trudeau has also vowed to take in 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year. Harper declined to resettle more Syrian refugees despite receiving heavy criticism after the image of a drowned 3-year-old's body on a Turkish beach after his family's failed attempt to immigrate to Canada was flashed around the world, and some analysts have questioned whether Trudeau's goal is realistic.

RBP
10-21-2015, 11:12 AM
When does he actually become PM?

HyperV12
10-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Can you call for a vote of no confidence in a PM before he takes office?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2015, 12:54 PM

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/when-does-justin-trudeau-become-prime-minister/

RBP
10-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Jesus, that's confusing.

Hal-9000
10-21-2015, 04:07 PM

dependent on my elevated position and how good the discount scope works ..

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2015, 04:08 PM
...believes that Canada's military should be restricted to training missions only...

Why have a military force at all? :wha:

Hal-9000
10-21-2015, 04:17 PM
because that's his mindset....Oh, we're part of North America so America will look after any unpleasantness should it pop up. But no, we won't support a war effort with any of the limited resources we have so we can appear neutral...

Harper was a Stepford wife Prime Minister and I never trusted him...but at least he understood the relationship between our countries

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2015, 04:19 PM
And with his (Trudeau's) views on global warming, say goodbye to your oil industry doing well for the foreseeable future

Hal-9000
10-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Any guy who puts a greater value on decriminalizing pot over healthcare concerns is a complete moron...he takes the word Liberal to new heights. You know me, I'm not the most conservative person on the planet...this guy however has this hipster vision, leftover from his Dad's days in office and you can't improve or run a country making it a personal vision quest. He has to listen to the country and the opposition party to keep his ideals under control.

He appealed to the younger voting crowd and whatever is going on out east....more people out there

Pony
10-21-2015, 04:41 PM
FOX News and The Associated Press

Trudeau has also vowed to take in 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year.

:dance:

:-k