PDA

View Full Version : Student facing assault and battery charge for throwing carrot at teacher

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2015, 10:54 AM
by Jon Burkett - WTVR CBS 6

http://i.imgur.com/wK7QvH1.jpg

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. -- A local 14-year old girl is potentially facing assault and battery charges after throwing a carrot at one of her former teachers.

School disciplinary documents allege a baby carrot was used as a weapon in an assault and battery of a Moody Middle School teacher.

"I don't even know how to combat the stupidity,” said Karrie May, whose 14-year-old daughter Aliya, is currently suspended for launching the vegetable.

May said her daughter has been out of school for a month.

"I don't understand this,” May said. “Yes, it happened, and I can see a couple of days in school detention or even a couple days out-of-school suspension. But this goes way beyond that. We have to go to court, and her charges aren't small: assault and battery with a weapon."

Aliya said she left class and saw a teacher she had last year in the hallway. So, as a joke, she said she reached for a baby carrot she had stashed at lunch and tossed it towards the teacher, never thinking she'd hit her in the forehead.

"If it's a soft carrot, it may not be as offensive,” said CBS 6 legal expert Todd Stone. “But if it's a raw carrot, you don't have to have an injury or show you were hurt to prove a battery. It just has to be an offensive, vindictive touch. That's what the law says."

Henrico Schools declined to comment on the carrot case.

http://i.imgur.com/hJfLRzU.jpg
Documents show the carrot was just under 2 inches long.

Karrie May said the school’s Disciplinary Review Board sent a letter recently to try to get her daughter to admit guilt. She said they respectfully declined.

Now mom said they await a summons to see what happens next.

"This could go before a judge and there could be sufficient evidence to find her guilty, but I don't think it's something a judge would want to find her guilty of,” said Stone. “They may offer her counseling, sort of a carrot at the end of a stick."

DemonGeminiX
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
No joke, my brother was sent to a psych eval after tossing a hackeysack to his tenth grade teacher when the teacher told him to hand it over. The teacher didn't even try to catch it, it just hit him in his fat gut and fell to the ground in front of him. He sent my bro to the principal and the principal set up the eval. My brother couldn't take any of it seriously, so he fucked with the evaluator and pretended to be a psycho, and she came back with a "he's a danger to himself and others" eval result. That shit's been following him around all his life and he has to explain it to everyone that it would pop up under: Air Force recruiters, job interviews, even in his custody hearing when he and his genuinely psychotic ex-wife were getting divorced (he won full custody). He thought it was funny at the time, but now he says it's the biggest pain in the ass he's ever gotten himself into.

HyperV12
10-23-2015, 12:49 PM
:lmao:

deebakes
10-23-2015, 12:57 PM
thats a disgusting looking carrot :puke:

Hal-9000
10-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Forget about the carrot for a sec...she threw something at a teacher. That's the part that should be examined. If the teacher wants to claim injury or PTSD from the event or whatever, then you introduce the item and go from there.

I read DGX's story and would say the same about his brother. It's not the fact that a soft hackeysack hit the person in the stomach and fell harmlessly, it's more about - Why did the student throw something at the teacher? I know it sounds infantile but these are things that courts look at specifically. Was the item placed into someone's hand or was it thrown? I'm familiar with the hows and whys of assault charges (looong story) and people have to realize that assault can be proven more easily than you'd expect. The teacher in this story can go to the extent of trying to prove that carrot could have injured her. Same thing with touching. We have to be real sure of how our hands contact other people and were there people around to witness it? And no offense but it sounds like DGX's brother did very little to help himself with the exam :lol: They want to find something amiss in that case and he gave them ammo, no matter how silly it seemed to him.