PDA

View Full Version : Texas Homeowners Receive Death Threats After Painting Their House Teal

Teh One Who Knocks
10-26-2015, 11:10 AM
By Brendan Kelly - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/EZf9hff.jpg

A Texas couple say they have received death threats after a picture of their house, which they painted bright teal, was posted online.

According to reports, Keely and Peter Dubrova say that their decision to paint their house a shade of teal was approved by their homeowner's association.

They decided to paint the house teal while remodeling, in order to make their home feel more like their own.

“I wanted to know this was my sanctuary,” Keely said.

After an anonymous realtor posted a picture of the Dubrovas' home online asking for opinions on property value and aesthetic appeal, hundreds of people responded with some very harsh comments.

“Everything from ‘white trash Californians, what are they doing here’ to ‘we want to hang them,’” said Keely.

A week and a half later, the couple got a letter from their homeowner's association, which previously approved the new color, asking them to re-paint the house due to the backlash.

The realtor who originally posted the picture of the home didn’t want to reveal her identity, but says she did not intend to cause such a backlash by the post.

“That [was] absolutely not my intention and I apologize that other people got out of hand with it and they shouldn’t have,” the realtor told KHOU. “I hope they’re ashamed of themselves.”

The Dubrovas are unsure of what they should do next. They said they have reached out to their homeowner's association via email and in person to clarify what colors are approved and what they need to change.

“So we are a little confused,” Peter said. “Are we in compliance or not?”

The home has become a popular topic of discussion in the town.

“I think it’s cute,” one neighbor, Amanda Dennard, said. “It does look cute like a doll house, but it doesn’t fit in the neighborhood.”

“I’m not too fond of the color of the house, but didn’t think they should be punished like that,” said another resident of the community, Theresa Nichols.

The Dubrovas said they are willing and happy to comply with the association’s rules, but they want to know what they are to avoid any further trouble.

“This is our life,” Keely said. “We live it for each other. We’ve worked hard to afford something like this and I feel like people are squashing our dream.”

The neighborhood and the couple are hoping to get answers at the next homeowner's association meeting on Oct. 26.

HyperV12
10-26-2015, 11:36 AM
I think it looks fine, not my choice of colour but it's not death threat bad.

deebakes
10-30-2015, 03:01 AM
:facepalm: