PDA

View Full Version : Returning troops say airline billed them for baggage

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
By Will Ripley - Channel 9 News (Denver)

DENVER - A Colorado solider says he and his fellow troops got an unfriendly welcome home from Delta Airlines Tuesday. The troops say they paid nearly $3,000 in excess luggage fees on a flight home from Afghanistan.

Staff Sgts. Hilliker and Robert O'Hair shot a video while onboard Delta Airlines flight 1625 Tuesday morning. They later posted the video on YouTube. Hilliker and O'Hair are members of U.S. Army Detachment 62, part of the 95th Division out of Oklahoma, which includes two companies out of Fort Carson, Colo. They returned Tuesday from a nearly year-long deployment in various regions of Afghanistan.

The soldiers were returning to Fort Polk, La.

O'Hair says their Army orders authorized four bags. When they arrived at the Delta ticket counter, the soldiers claim they had to pay $200 each for the fourth bag.

"We had four bags. Delta airlines only allows three bags," O'Hair said. "We had to actually end up paying, out of pocket, our own money. Over $2,800 and there's only 34 of us soldiers."

The troops say those extra bags were not packed with souvenirs.

"For me, it was a weapons case, holding my M-4, grenade launcher, and 9mm," O'Hair said. "The tools that I used to protect myself and Afghan citizens while I was deployed."

O'Hair's wife, Darnelle O'Hair, lives near Brighton with their young daughter. She says money is tight for military families.

"Just complete shock," she said. "I could not believe that they felt that $200 from however many soldiers were boarding that plane, was more important than just getting them on the aircraft, getting their baggage on the aircraft, and getting them home."

Airline spokeswoman Betsy Talton sent 9NEWS a statement, which read: "Delta has great appreciation for our military and offers flexibility for active duty U.S. Military Personnel traveling on orders with up to 4 complimentary checked bags in First/Business class and three complimentary checked bags in Coach."

Talton did not respond for an email request for an interview.

The unexpected expense has the soldiers feeling unappreciated.

"Not happy," Hilliker said. "Not happy at all."

Those soldiers now have to turn-in their baggage receipts to the Army. They will eventually be reimbursed.

American Airlines faced a similar situation in 2008, when it was widely criticized for charging troops excess baggage fees. The airline eventually agreed to waive the fees.

Muddy
06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I last flew 'AirTran'.. A "budget airline"... Great experience... :thumbsup:

KevinD
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Now, I know it's been a few years since I was active duty, but, I never heard of checking your weapons on a civilian flight.

AntZ
06-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Delta Air Lines Changes Policy After Charging Soldiers Returning From Afghanistan Thousands for Extra Luggage

By Todd Starnes

Published June 08, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Delta Air Lines announced Wednesday they will allow American troops to check four bags free of charge.

The decision came amid public outcry when an Army unit returning from deployment in Afghanistan was charged a total of $2,800 in extra baggage fees.

“We would like to publicly apologize to those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused,” read an earlier statement posted on Delta’s blog.

“We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.”

The reversal came just one day after two soldiers, Staff Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O’Hair, filmed a video onboard Flight 1625 and posted it on YouTube.

They criticized Delta for the additional charges, complaining that the 34 soldiers were charged as much as $2,800 in baggage fees.

“We were frustrated with the situation,” O’Hair told Fox News Radio. “Honestly, we were just trying to get home.”

O’Hair said the trouble started Tuesday during an 18-hour layover in Baltimore. His unit was heading back to Fort Polk, La., after a deployment in Afghanistan.

O’Hair said their military orders stated that each soldier was allowed to check up to four bags free of charge. But the Delta agent told the soldiers they would have to pay for the fourth bag.

“My extra bag was my weapons case,” he said. “I had my assault rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9-mm. pistol.” He said the baggage fee posed an immediate financial hardship for the soldiers and many of them expressed immediate “irritation, frustration and shock.” “A lot of the guys didn’t bring credit cards because, heck, how much do we need credit cards in Afghanistan?” he asked.

“It was an unexpected price and the fact they were going against what our military orders stated.”

After the video was posted on YouTube, Delta first issued a statement on its company blog apologizing to the soldiers and noting, “How deeply Delta respects and admires the men and women who fight every day for our country.”

Afteward, the company changed its policy. Col. Thomas Collins, a spokesman for the Army, told Fox News Radio the baggage fees “seem to be unusual.”

“Historically, the airlines have been gracious in waiving baggage fees for our troops deploying to Iraq and Afghanistan,” he said.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars told Fox News Radio that Delta’s fee was the “worst welcome home any soldier could receive.”

“We know this is a business issue and that the troops will be reimbursed if they are authorized additional baggage in their orders,” said VFW spokesman Joe Davis. “But the shock of even being charged is enough to make most servicemen and women simply shake their heads and wonder who or what it is they are protecting.”

Since many of the troops did not have cash to pay the fee, O’Hair said their Lt. Colonel ended up paying hundreds of dollars for the ones who couldn’t afford the price.

And while the soldiers are expected to be reimbursed by the military, O’Hair said it could take weeks for them to get that money – putting a financial hardship on some military families.

“Luckily I was able to pay it and I can wait for my reimbursement,” he said.

“But what about a Private coming back home? A lot of these Privates are living paycheck to paycheck. They have kids to support and they need that $200.”