PDA

View Full Version : Miami uses wild 8 lateral kickoff return for TD to upset Duke

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2015, 07:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46fN6ddD1xQ

redred
11-02-2015, 07:23 PM
someones been watching the rugby world cup :lol:

Hugh_Janus
11-02-2015, 08:31 PM
you know, I always wondered if it was legal to pass/offload the ball in american football

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2015, 08:34 PM
you know, I always wondered if it was legal to pass/offload the ball in american football

It's only legal if it's thrown backwards or completely straight across in a situation like that, if it would have been thrown forward, even an inch, then they would have received a penalty for an illegal forward pass and the play would be penalized and it wouldn't count.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
You can't throw forward only sideways or backwards on a return, or reception

Hugh_Janus
11-02-2015, 08:45 PM
It's only legal if it's thrown backwards or completely straight across in a situation like that, if it would have been thrown forward, then they would have received a penalty for an illegal forward pass and the play would be penalized and it wouldn't count.

my sound is working today, so I did listen to the commentary :lol: I'm surprised it isn't used more often
You can't throw forward only sideways or backwards on a return, or reception
after kicks?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2015, 08:50 PM
after kicks?

Yeah, by return I meant kick return

Hikari Kisugi
11-02-2015, 09:04 PM
my sound is working today, so I did listen to the commentary :lol: I'm surprised it isn't used more often
after kicks?

Indeed, especially since you can block in American football, so a player doesn't have to be directly involved in a tackle.
I could see an armoured NZ 15 returning every kick for a touchdown with passing.

deebakes
11-03-2015, 02:06 AM
too bad the dude was down :(

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 11:37 AM
too bad the dude was down :(

They never blew the whistle :hand:

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 07:05 PM
it's a great play but something that doesn't happen often....

On kick returns the kicking team is running down there at full speed under the kicked ball and usually they arrive as the ball is being caught. Most times if the returning team starts pitching it backwards they get caught even further back.

The usual idea is that guys get in front of the guy who catches the ball, so they can block for him up field :thumbsup:

Goofy
11-03-2015, 08:53 PM
It's only legal if it's thrown backwards or completely straight across in a situation like that, if it would have been thrown forward, even an inch, then they would have received a penalty for an illegal forward pass and the play would be penalized and it wouldn't count.

Pretty much the same as rugby then (minus the QB of course who throws it forward), pretty cool though, first time i've seen anything like that in US Football. Anything like that ever happen in the big NFL games?