PDA

View Full Version : I was caught ‘walking while black.'

Pony
11-03-2015, 08:24 AM
By DOROTHY BLAND
Published: 28 October 2015 05:08 PM
Updated: 02 November 2015 10:59 AM

Editor's note: The police chief's response to the UNT journalism dean follows.

Flashing lights and sirens from a police vehicle interrupted a routine Saturday morning walk in my golf-course community in Corinth.

I often walk about 3 miles near daybreak as part of my daily exercise. However, on Oct. 24, I delayed my walk until late morning as I waited for the rain to stop. I was dressed in a gray hooded “Boston” sweatshirt, black leggings, white socks, plus black-and-white Nike running shoes. Like most African-Americans, I am familiar with the phrase “driving while black,” but was I really being stopped for walking on the street in my own neighborhood?

Yes. In the words of Sal Ruibal, “Walking while black is a crime in many jurisdictions. May God have mercy on our nation.”

Knowing that the police officers are typically armed with guns and are a lot bigger than my 5 feet, 4 inches, I had no interest in my life’s story playing out like Trayvon Martin’s death. I stopped and asked the two officers if there was a problem; I don’t remember getting a decent answer before one of the officers asked me where I lived and for identification.

I remember saying something like, “Around the corner. This is my neighborhood, and I’m a taxpayer who pays a lot of taxes.” As for the I.D. question, how many Americans typically carry I.D. with them on their morning walk? Do you realize I bought the hoodie I was wearing after completing the Harvard University Institute for Management and Leadership in Education in 2014? Do you realize I have hosted gatherings for family, friends, faculty, staff and students in my home? Not once was a police officer called. To those officers, my education or property-owner status didn’t matter. One officer captured my address and date of birth.

I guess I was simply a brown face in an affluent neighborhood. I told the police I didn’t like to walk in the rain, and one of them told me, “My dog doesn’t like to walk in the rain.” Ouch!

I didn’t have my I.D., but I did have my iPhone, so I took a picture of the two police officers and the Texas license plate. One of the officers told me I should walk on the sidewalk or the other side of the street for safety’s sake.

Although I am not related to Sandra Bland, I thought about her, Freddie Gray and the dozens of others who have died while in police custody. For safety’s sake, I posted the photo of the officers on Facebook, and within hours, more than 100 Facebook friends spread the news from New York to California.

“You are now in the company of Henry Louis Gates and others with the same experience,” wrote one of my former students from Florida. “We must stop racial profiling.”

For anyone who doesn’t think racial profiling happens, I can assure you it does happen. For a sanity check, I stopped by the mayor’s house and asked him, “Do I look like a criminal?” Mayor Bill Heidemann said no and shook his head in disbelief. I appreciate the mayor being a good neighbor, but why should he need to verify that I am not a menace to society?

I refuse to let this incident ruin my life. As I was finishing my walk and listening to Urban Praise radio, I encountered an elderly white woman who asked if I would like some roses. She gave me a half-dozen roses. It was a random act of kindness and that’s why I call Janet Herbison of Gemini Peach and Rose Farm in Denton a good Samaritan. That evening I had dinner with neighbors.

The more often we talk and get to know people as humans, the stronger we will become as a nation. We are all part of the human race.

Dorothy Bland is the dean of the Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism and the director for the Frank W. Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism at the University of North Texas. Reach her at dorothy1.bland@gmail.com.

ANOTHER TAKE: POLICE RESPONSE

Corinth Police Chief Debra Walthall says the encounter was about resident’s safety, not race.

I appreciate the opportunity to respond to Ms. Bland’s comments. My officers, a field training officer and his recruit, observed Ms. Bland walking in the roadway wearing earbuds and unaware that there was a pickup truck directly behind her that had to almost come to a complete stop to avoid hitting her.

The driver of the truck looked at the officers as they passed and held his hands in the air, which implied “aren’t you going to do something about this?” The officers turned around and drove behind Ms. Bland.

They activated their in-car video camera, which shows her again walking in the roadway impeding traffic. They activated their emergency lights — no siren was ever sounded — they exited their patrol vehicle and contacted Ms. Bland.

They immediately advised Ms. Bland about the pickup truck and the fact that it was safer for her to walk against traffic so she could see the cars and jump out of the way if necessary. The interaction between Ms. Bland and the officers was very cordial and brief.

Ms. Bland had been observed earlier by these same officers, but she was not in the street and impeding traffic, so she was not contacted.

Impeding traffic is a Class C misdemeanor, and it is our policy to ask for identification from people we encounter for this type violation. I am surprised by her comments as this was not a confrontational encounter but a display of professionalism and genuine concern for her safety.

Please review the video and I’m sure you will agree the officers’ intent was simply to keep her safe. Ms. Bland never contacted the police department to voice her concerns regarding this encounter and has not returned my phone message left at the number provided by the mayor.

The citizens of Corinth as a whole are a highly educated population, and it is disappointing that one of our residents would attempt to make this a racial issue when clearly it is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLSooCq07Gn3hSshuz2r6hBKAZ_J3jZnZK&v=xh_OvluMqxI

HyperV12
11-03-2015, 08:57 AM
What's wrong with the pavement? The Highway Code over here tells you if you have to walk on the road then walk into traffic not with it for exactly the reason the cop said, you can see it coming and get out of the way if needs be. All I heard on the video was the cops being civil, respectful and advising her to be safe - not one hint of anything questionable.

perrhaps
11-03-2015, 10:12 AM
What's wrong with the pavement? The Highway Code over here tells you if you have to walk on the road then walk into traffic not with it for exactly the reason the cop said, you can see it coming and get out of the way if needs be. All I heard on the video was the cops being civil, respectful and advising her to be safe - not one hint of anything questionable.

I'm guessing that Ms. Harvard Race-Baiter didn't realize that the encounter was being recorded on the dash camera..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2015, 11:36 AM
As for the I.D. question, how many Americans typically carry I.D. with them on their morning walk?

I do, whenever I go out of the house, no matter where, I have my ID on me.

And this bitch is a fucking racist trying to cause trouble where there wasn't any. Oh boo hoo, I was stopped by the cops for a minute, I better fabricate a good story about it so I can be internet famous.

Pony
11-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Even the black police chief has said it was good they had the video or they would have serious charges and protests to deal with.
The woman stopped has said "I wrote the column to share my perception of my experience. This happened to me,” she said. “It was my opinion. I respect law enforcement and respect they have a difficult job.”

Really? I'm sure if she wouldn't have been videoed you would be calling for the "racist" cops jobs. She went to talk to the mayor FFS.

RBP
11-03-2015, 12:37 PM
As I have said before, once you are in that place and that is how you view the world, you see everything through that lens.

Pony
11-03-2015, 12:50 PM
As I have said before, once you are in that place and that is how you view the world, you see everything through that lens.

I agree she was seeing it through that lens, doesn't excuse the part where she fabricated most of the story.

redred
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
she didn't even look to make sure it was clear when she did cross the road , i'd laugh my ass off if she got hit

Goofy
11-03-2015, 01:25 PM
UNT journalism........... appears to be missing a C :-k

RBP
11-03-2015, 01:30 PM
I agree she was seeing it through that lens, doesn't excuse the part where she fabricated most of the story.
I don't see what was factually inaccurate, but with omissions, yes. I am not excusing anything. This is exactly the problem with so-called black leadership and movements like BLM. Everything is racial, everything is a civil rights abuse, so therefore there can only be emotional protest and demand, not rational discussion or analysis.

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:21 PM
The great Saul Berenson on Homeland

Saul - And we stop every brown skinned male aged 18 to 35 going through the airports.

Young CIA agent - But that's racial profiling!

Saul - No, that's actual profiling..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 06:23 PM
I do, whenever I go out of the house, no matter where, I have my ID on me.

Im pretty sure once you are 18 you are required to carry ID

PorkChopSandwiches
11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Im pretty sure once you are 18 you are required to carry ID

Well, I guess it actually isn't required in CA, but they can detain you to determine your ID if you don't have it on you.

Hal-9000
11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Yeah it's like saying - I don't take my keys when I got for a morning walk, who does that?

durhhhhh...

Goofy
11-03-2015, 09:04 PM
I never have ID on me :lol:

redred
11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I keep my driving licence on me pretty much all the time

Oofty Goofty
11-04-2015, 12:08 AM
UNT journalism........... appears to be missing a C :-k

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEE1fIOCQAASw3W.jpg

deebakes
11-04-2015, 12:36 AM
:facepalm:

Goofy
11-04-2015, 07:11 AM
I keep my driving licence on me pretty much all the time

Ive got the old paper kind so pointless carrying it

redred
11-04-2015, 07:22 AM
Thought those weren't legal now ?

Goofy
11-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Thought those weren't legal now ?

Nope :)

If i changed address or something then id have to get the new photo one but fuck paying those bastards any more money if i dont have to!

redred
11-04-2015, 11:09 AM
but fuck paying those bastards any more money if i dont have to!

:scotland: ftw :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I never have ID on me :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/nPR5NOw.gif

Goofy
11-04-2015, 12:09 PM
:hand:

Pony
11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/pQU8kyo.jpg

Goofy